• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cruz would of needed 77% of the votes cast for others to tie Trump. I doubt its likely he would of benefited that much from those votes.

He doesn't need it to end in a tie, he just needs to match Trump's delegates to have a brokered convention. So far, he's the only one in position to get the nomination without a rule change.

Speaking of which...

Possible reasons for Kasich:

1. He thinks he can win the nomination in a contested convention
    2. He thinks he can better position himself as a VP pick in a brokered convention
    3. He thinks the continued exposure in the 2016 primary will help him in a 2020 primary bid
    4. He's secretly working with Trump, for [insert reasons here]
    5. He has an Obama-level ego that won't let him quit

Others?
    Mostly #1, IMHO. He has the GOPe connections and has positioned himself as the Grownup left in the race. Between those 2 themes, he can advocate for a narrow rule change (the 8 state rule dropped to whatever he needs it to be), that excludes a bunch of other candidates (and non-candidates). If he can keep the contest to him, Cruz and Trump, he probably likes his chances at convention.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think it's just going to further drive people away from Cruz. Trump will win the nomination before the convention. We're seeing all of the establishment Republicans get in line behind Cruz. It's going to drive more people to Trump's camp. People are railing against establishment politics. The Republican party is too stupid to see it. Jeb's endorsement is actually going to hurt Cruz.

I'll admit: this surprises me a bit. I think this endorsement pretty much guarantees that a contested convention will be brokered, and will result in a Romney or Ryan nomination.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think Kasich is hanging around for the VP position. I think it'll end up being Trump/Kasich. Kasich is hanging in to take votes away from Cruz. He also isn't saying much bad about Trump in the debates. Plus, he's a moderate, likeable, and he'll make their team look more appealing to some people than Trump on his own.

Possible reasons for Kasich:

1. He thinks he can win the nomination in a contested convention
    2. He thinks he can better position himself as a VP pick in a brokered convention
    3. He thinks the continued exposure in the 2016 primary will help him in a 2020 primary bid
    4. He's secretly working with Trump, for [insert reasons here]
    5. He has an Obama-level ego that won't let him quit

Others?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it's just going to further drive people away from Cruz. Trump will win the nomination before the convention. We're seeing all of the establishment Republicans get in line behind Cruz. It's going to drive more people to Trump's camp. People are railing against establishment politics. The Republican party is too stupid to see it. Jeb's endorsement is actually going to hurt Cruz.
    I had read before that the establishment would actually take Trump over Cruz. I think Jeb's "endorsement" confirms that. I don't think even he is so thick headed to not know his endorsement would hurt Cruz.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Really? A Mormon state voted for the candidate endorsed by Romney? Unbelievable

Not this crap again.... how many times do I have 'splain it, Lucy???

Mormons are a diverse group - Harry Reid is a Mormon - although a LOT of Mormons politically can't stand the guy. Mia Love is a Mormon. (She's probably more similar to a typical Mormon - if there is such a thing.) She's a Congresswoman from one of the Utah districts. Look her up. I personally like what I've seen from her.

There are a NUMBER of things that are driving (and concerning) folks of my particular religion this time around.

1) A lot of them - like a lot of INGO'ers , are pissed off that the Republicans have been inept. They see defeating the Witch as issue #1 and would gladly vote for Trump. In my conversations - most often these are the 25-35 (although I know folks of all ages) year old generation that see their country as being towed down the crapper and they are stirred up to action. If you think about the tone of the Trump Ingo'ers they sound identical. I have several good friends and fellow leaders in the church that have express these kinds of views to me. They are my friends - it's their right to see it that way. I generally won't speak politically at all - here on INGO where I am somewhat anonymous is the only exception. And I try to do so with decorum and respect. (I don't always succeed :D )

2) A lot of them - more commonly older folks with a sense of history (crap I'm now in this group) - have some big issues with Trump. Remember that Mormons as a group HAVE been driven by force from the US, and attacked by the United States Army. As a group. As a result - we tend to be big friends of the Second Amendment. It also means we take some of the lumping of ALL Muslims together, and the loose-lipped rhetoric VERY seriously. In our family histories (and that's another thing we are big on) we have SEEN what such things cause. If you don't expect us to remember that - well, that's kind of like asking the Jews to forget the Holocaust - it happened. And there are scars in the family tree to prove it. You would be sensitive to that sort of thing, too if the roles were reversed.

3) Mormons as a group favor decorum and reasonable discussion. Not yelling and screaming. Trump doesn't fit that mold very well. Neither does Cruz to be honest. But Trump is the louder and more shrill voice of the two. That's NOT going to play well in Provo... to steal a line...

So this time around - if you detest the Trump antics - what choice do you have? How can you make your voice heard? *cough* vote for Cruz *cough*. It's the only logical way out. So I wouldn't be so surprised that folks took it. I can pretty much assure you that they aren't bigtime Cruz fans - but to them, he's likely the best of the options. At least right now.

Now for something you may not know. It is pretty much strictly verboten to discuss politics in a Mormon church. ESPECIALLY from the pulpit. And church leaders will almost NEVER speak about it. I hesitated to open my mouth even here , on a forum where I am RELATIVELY anonymous, for a LONG time. Why? Mormons believe in principles - but they believe that each person ought to seek out the people that THEY believe will best uphold those principles. They will not, typically, be noisy about it. But they WILL go to the polls. In droves. I'd be willing to bet that turnout was extremely high this time around.

So Romney's concerns ARE HIS OWN. I think (as I have said before here) that they REFLECT the concerns that many Mormons - myself included , have expressed. But I honestly believe it's a case of REFLECTING the concerns, not "Romney speaking and a bunch of sheep following". All Mormons are encouraged to take part in the political process as they see fit and to use their voices in the public square for good. Romney did what he felt was right. If Harry Reid had voiced his opinion - I likely would have disagreed with him. But I would have respected his (or any other person's right to voice their opinion). As loud as they want to and can make happen.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Mormons are a diverse group - Harry Reid is a Mormon - although a LOT of Mormons politically can't stand the guy. Mia Love is a Mormon. (She's probably more similar to a typical Mormon - if there is such a thing.) She's a Congresswoman from one of the Utah districts. Look her up. I personally like what I've seen from her.

There are a NUMBER of things that are driving (and concerning) folks of my particular religion this time around.

1) A lot of them - like a lot of INGO'ers , are pissed off that the Republicans have been inept. They see defeating the Witch as issue #1 and would gladly vote for Trump. In my conversations - most often these are the 25-35 (although I know folks of all ages) year old generation that see their country as being towed down the crapper and they are stirred up to action. If you think about the tone of the Trump Ingo'ers they sound identical. I have several good friends and fellow leaders in the church that have express these kinds of views to me. They are my friends - it's their right to see it that way. I generally won't speak politically at all - here on INGO where I am somewhat anonymous is the only exception. And I try to do so with decorum and respect. (I don't always succeed :D )

2) A lot of them - more commonly older folks with a sense of history (crap I'm now in this group) - have some big issues with Trump. Remember that Mormons as a group HAVE been driven by force from the US, and attacked by the United States Army. As a group. As a result - we tend to be big friends of the Second Amendment. It also means we take some of the lumping of ALL Muslims together, and the loose-lipped rhetoric VERY seriously. In our family histories (and that's another thing we are big on) we have SEEN what such things cause. If you don't expect us to remember that - well, that's kind of like asking the Jews to forget the Holocaust - it happened. And there are scars in the family tree to prove it. You would be sensitive to that sort of thing, too if the roles were reversed.

3) Mormons as a group favor decorum and reasonable discussion. Not yelling and screaming. Trump doesn't fit that mold very well. Neither does Cruz to be honest. But Trump is the louder and more shrill voice of the two. That's NOT going to play well in Provo... to steal a line...

So this time around - if you detest the Trump antics - what choice do you have? How can you make your voice heard? *cough* vote for Cruz *cough*. It's the only logical way out. So I wouldn't be so surprised that folks took it. I can pretty much assure you that they aren't bigtime Cruz fans - but to them, he's likely the best of the options. At least right now.

Now for something you may not know. It is pretty much strictly verboten to discuss politics in a Mormon church. ESPECIALLY from the pulpit. And church leaders will almost NEVER speak about it. I hesitated to open my mouth even here , on a forum where I am RELATIVELY anonymous, for a LONG time. Why? Mormons believe in principles - but they believe that each person ought to seek out the people that THEY believe will best uphold those principles. They will not, typically, be noisy about it. But they WILL go to the polls. In droves. I'd be willing to bet that turnout was extremely high this time around.

So Romney's concerns ARE HIS OWN. I think (as I have said before here) that they REFLECT the concerns that many Mormons - myself included , have expressed. But I honestly believe it's a case of REFLECTING the concerns, not "Romney speaking and a bunch of sheep following". All Mormons are encouraged to take part in the political process as they see fit and to use their voices in the public square for good. Romney did what he felt was right. If Harry Reid had voiced his opinion - I likely would have disagreed with him. But I would have respected his (or any other person's right to voice their opinion). As loud as they want to and can make happen.

So let me sum that up. Yer saying that if Romney had told them to breathe, when they take their next breath, it's probably not because Romney told them to breathe.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    So let me sum that up. Yer saying that if Romney had told them to breathe, when they take their next breath, it's probably not because Romney told them to breathe.

Spot on, as usual, sir.

And anyone that is shocked that they took their next breath either has an agenda, or doesn't have a very good grasp of the situation.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    f3291f37340b81d6913cc19770731b65.jpg

You must have missed the purple

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    True. But it was pretty much as I figured things actually were. Trump rubs Mormons the wrong way for the most part. So they had no other real choice but to vote for Cruz, even though they may not like him very much either.

It's the same thing my wife doesn't get. If it comes down to Hillary v. Trump, I'll be voting Trump. She takes that as me being a Trump supporter. When really, I'm not. I don't want him in the White House. But I would literally vote for anyone before I would vote for Hillary.

Glad he did. It produce insight into cultural attitudes I would not have known about otherwise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True. But it was pretty much as I figured things actually were. Trump rubs Mormons the wrong way for the most part. So they had no other real choice but to vote for Cruz, even though they may not like him very much either.

It's the same thing my wife doesn't get. If it comes down to Hillary v. Trump, I'll be voting Trump. She takes that as me being a Trump supporter. When really, I'm not. I don't want him in the White House. But I would literally vote for anyone before I would vote for Hillary.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

That would be the game of "Chess".
    And you can't win without sacrificing a few pieces along the way. It's obvious some members here have never even seen a Chess board.

I am not if favor of having a car salesman in the White House but if he has the best chance of beating my enemy at the time, then he gets my vote. As oppose to voting for my sworn enemy or sitting on my hands, which is the same thing as a vote.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What the Hell does Cruz mean when he says "patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods"?

Ted Cruz Wants Police To 'Patrol And Secure' U.S. Muslim Communities After Brussels

It looks like he means exactly that:

“We need to immediately halt the flow of refugees from countries with a significant al Qaida or ISIS presence,” Cruz said in a statement. “We need to empower law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized. We need to secure the southern border to prevent terrorist infiltration. And we need to execute a coherent campaign to utterly destroy ISIS.”

:dunno:

There's also this little gem:

Cruz also called on the Obama administration to intensify its fight against the so-called Islamic State. During a press conference in Washington earlier on Tuesday, the senator said he would fight ISIS by “carpet bombing them to oblivion.”

“We should use overwhelming force, kill the enemy and then we should get the heck out,” he said.

No word yet on how he plans to ensure that carpet bombing into oblivion will strategically target combatants, and avoid non-combatants (such as the families of the combatants).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom