ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ^^^It's about dang time!^^^

I came to the conclusion a while back that he was just staying in to help sell his book. I lost a lot of respect for him because he dragged it out like this purely for his own ego/profit.

His statement. Still... he hasn't suspended his campaign yet. Wonder what he's planning.

CckL8SUXEAMpXex.jpg:large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think of it as a "use" paradigm. He gets a ton more "earned media" because of who he is. They will cover him because they have to, to get viewers. He will deal with them because he has to, to keep his name on the chyron. There's a mutuality about it.

The way that Trump is using the press is publicity. He doesn't have to spend much to be heard because the news broadcasts just about everything he says in public. Someone like Rand Paul was largely ignored by the media. Of course the media will play Trump all day long. It's what's selling. The "use" is there, and it is mutual.

Well yeah, we were talking about planes, so duh.

Yeah, but what if those Fokkers were actually Messerschmitts?

The GOP is desperate to give hillary the election, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to organize a 3rd party run so they could get their wish.

In my estimation that's not a reasonable conclusion. Giving Hillary the election is obviously not their goal, even if it may be a likely outcome. THEY want a Republican to win the election. They don't want a non-Republican to win the election. I don't think they view Trump as a Republican. It is more reasonable to believe that they would rather see the non-Republican Hillary in the White House than the non-Republican Trump. Their desperation is more anti-trump than it is pro-hillary. I don't agree with that strategy, but it is pretty clear that many people do. We have a few here who would rather vote 3rd party even if it puts Hillary in the White House, because they believe that as bad as Hillary is, Trump is worse.

Debating a 3rd party run is a scenario they know they have no hope of winning and know full well is going to give the election to HRC. I'm not quite sure how you could spin it another way without being blissfully ignorant.

See above. Not ignorant, I just find reality more valuable than my own bias.

To the contrary, I fully believe that the Establishment would rather throw the election to Hillary, than to see Trump win.

There are not two parties in Washington. There is only the UniParty. Trump is a threat to the oligarchy.

I think some establishment Republicans would rather see the Hildabeast elected than Trump. That doesn't mean they're desparate to give her the election. I think a more reasonable conclusion is that the Republican establishment sees Trump as more dangerous to their power than Hillary. They're afraid that a Trump victory will cost them seats. Hillary probably doesn't have long coattails. People don't like her.

As far as oligarchies, yes, both sides represent that but there is just but a bit of overlap in the people at the top. On one side we have banks, big oil, and the military industrial complex. On the other side, we have banks, arguably elites/tech/social/media, and the Green industrial complex.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agreed. Carson lost respect from me over that one too. Cruz and his team made a logical conclusion from the Carson campaign statements.

I thought it was made clear from the circumstances that the Cruz campaign knew that Carson wasn't really out. And I thought that the Rubio camp kinda did the same thing. But ultimately, I think that whole situation was more Carson's fault than the opportunistic politician's. Carson was politically ignorant if he didn't understand how his words would be interpreted. And how he reacted to it was very unpresidential.

I have lost respect for him too, but not because of that. I can forgive him for being ignorant. What I won't forgive him for is staying in the race when he knows there is no path for victory. That was apparent long before Super Tuesday. And there he is. Still. I just don't see any point to it other than he doesn't want his own importance to end. And of course, there are the book sales.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In my estimation that's not a reasonable conclusion. Giving Hillary the election is obviously not their goal, even if it may be a likely outcome. THEY want a Republican to win the election. They don't want a non-Republican to win the election. I don't think they view Trump as a Republican. It is more reasonable to believe that they would rather see the non-Republican Hillary in the White House than the non-Republican Trump. Their desperation is more anti-trump than it is pro-hillary. I don't agree with that strategy, but it is pretty clear that many people do. We have a few here who would rather vote 3rd party even if it puts Hillary in the White House, because they believe that as bad as Hillary is, Trump is worse.

See above. Not ignorant, I just find reality more valuable than my own bias.

You just said it right there...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought it was made clear from the circumstances that the Cruz campaign knew that Carson wasn't really out. And I thought that the Rubio camp kinda did the same thing. But ultimately, I think that whole situation was more Carson's fault than the opportunistic politician's. Carson was politically ignorant if he didn't understand how his words would be interpreted. And how he reacted to it was very unpresidential.

I have lost respect for him too, but not because of that. I can forgive him for being ignorant. What I won't forgive him for is staying in the race when he knows there is no path for victory. That was apparent long before Super Tuesday. And there he is. Still. I just don't see any point to it other than he doesn't want his own importance to end. And of course, there are the book sales.

Perhaps Carson is staying in to splits votes and lead to a brokered convention, know that if he and the others leave it a two man race, Trump will likely easily get the nomination. At this point the Republicans are desperate, and may be asking candidates that have no possibility of winning, to fall on their swords.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You just said it right there...

You said the Republicans are desperate to put Hillary in the White House. No, they're not. They're desperate to stop Trump. The distasteful but acceptable-to-them side effect is a higher likelihood that Hillary might win.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You said the Republicans are desperate to put Hillary in the White House. No, they're not. They're desperate to stop Trump. The distasteful but acceptable-to-them side effect is a higher likelihood that Hillary might win.

They're desperate because if Trump wins, what does that say about their party? It would paint Republicans in a very negative light.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps Carson is staying in to splits votes and lead to a brokered convention, know that if he and the others leave it a two man race, Trump will likely easily get the nomination. At this point the Republicans are desperate, and may be asking candidates that have no possibility of winning, to fall on their swords.

Now? Maybe. But it's been over for Carson since South Carolina.

Honestly, Carson could probably drop out and not affect that all that much. I really don't think there is much overlap between him and Trump voters. They'd go to Rubio/Kasich/Cruz. I also doubt if Kasich dropped out that much of his support would go to Trump--or Cruz.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah, and mostly I think they're afraid of what it would do to their majority in both houses.

Why are republicans always scared of winning or pushing their ideals, fearing the outcomes it will create down the line?

Democrats push their ideology and still win elections. Is there some sort of mass mental illness in the republican party or something? (I'm not referring directly to Trump winning, I'm referring to practically every move they've made since Bush has been out of office.)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think this is a misunderstanding. While the party platforms may be easily confused with each other, there are establishment lines between Rs and Ds. Favored institutions, law firms, accountants, PR groups, think tanks, vendors, etc. Rs have theirs, Ds have their own.

If a D wins, R-establishment gains nothing. If Trump wins, R-establishment still has an opportunity to influence. If a non-Trump R wins, then they win.

Intentionally helping HRC win would trade the opportunity to influence for a complete lack of influence. That doesn't make sense.

As Mark Levin so eloquently put it a few months go, the difference between the parties now, is which cabal gets to raid the Treasury.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why are republicans always scared of winning or pushing their ideals, fearing the outcomes it will create down the line?

Democrats push their ideology and still win elections. Is there some sort of mass mental illness in the republican party or something? (I'm not referring directly to Trump winning, I'm referring to practically every move they've made since Bush has been out of office.)

Are we calling Trump's ideology typical Republican ideology?

Kut (wants clarification)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes - all to benefit R-establishment. :)

Again, a 3rd party run AGAINST a populist GOP nominee has "BAD IDEA" written all over it. Until there's polling to confirm, I'd give it a very small chance at winning.

My point, though, is that it would be motivated by greed - increase R-establishment's own gain, even if it is a longshot. The effect would be to increase the odds of an HRC win. The cause, though, would not be related to that.

T.Lex, I think they would be willing to knowingly lose this election if they thought it would enable them to retain their control of the apparatus and the nominee - especially if they had someone else to blame. Que the speechwriters to begin those 'Trump ruined everything' speeches

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    CARSON will tell supporters today that he does not see “path forward,” will not attend Thursday debate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...bef352-d9b3-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

I'm skeptical. He has shown little or no concern for the larger issues. Not much in it for him to drop out, but he could leverage his few delegates into quite a bonanza at the convention to either enable Trump to win or be the critical player in denying him. Will believe it when it happens

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Looks like the Romney thing - while he may drop a bombshell... is NOT him as a candidate, nor him endorsing anyone.

"This is not an endorsement or announcement of candidacy," a person close to Romney said regarding his Thursday remarks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom