• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Largely because that's when they finally have the money (and/or credit) to do it. Probably in their prime earning years, children are out of the house, bought a house well before housing costs went insane, are old enough to have savings but young enough to not be burning through it for medical reasons... They also starting driving in a time when cars were more throw-away but more affordable for the average blue collar worker so they're more likely to trade out based on some random mileage number, because the warranty expired and they are scared 'of all this modern stuff you can't work on yourself', and because they are still keeping up with the Joneses even though they'll vehemently deny it.

It's not that people in their 20s-30s don't want an expensive new truck, after all. It's just they lack the means.

Maybe Joe will pay off truck loans next.;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Motors are the question with the post I quoted and responded to:

Huh. Probably why I said:

C'mon, papaw, read the thread before commenting on my comment. :stickpoke:
    I did read the thread. I understand you were replying to the question about the motor. I know you mentioned the battery. I read your whole post and the one you replied to.

My post wasn’t disagreeing with you. It’s more like furthering a point that says, who cares about the motor when you’re likely to be out 13 to 20 thousand dollars before the motor dies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have snagged a few of these PowerWheels type cars for the grandkids from people who got sick of the underperforming batteries they come with.

For under $10 you can make them run on a Milwaukee M18 battery. It gives them a hell of a turbo boost, going from 12V to 18V, and the battery life is incredible.

It does tend to be hard on the electric motors, and especially the tires.:D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have snagged a few of these PowerWheels type cars for the grandkids from people who got sick of the underperforming batteries they come with.

For under $10 you can make them run on a Milwaukee M18 battery. It gives them a hell of a turbo boost, going from 12V to 18V, and the battery life is incredible.

It does tend to be hard on the electric motors, and especially the tires.:D
    SEND IT!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Okay. Maybe it’s the
    Auto-pilot. Humans might be better at not hitting other humans, or that AI doesn’t have the same priorities. Or maybe the people getting hit are mostly on bicycles. Maybe the AI has been reading INGO and has learned to be less patient with cyclists.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Okay. Maybe it’s the
    Auto-pilot. Humans might be better at not hitting other humans, or that AI doesn’t have the same priorities. Or maybe the people getting hit are mostly on bicycles. Maybe the AI has been reading INGO and has learned to be less patient with cyclists.
    Very well could be, the builders of AI likely are as bad as many of the posters on INGO when it comes to sharing the road with those they deem inferior to themselves…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Okay. Maybe it’s the

Didn't read the news article.

IIRC, NHTSA showed there was an increase in low speed crashes due to the lack of sound of the EV resulting in people in parking lots not noticing them. This lead to people more likely to step out in front of them.

No difference in higher speed crashes.

This was a few years ago, but the call was to make EVs make noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians to look up from their phones occasionally...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Didn't read the news article.

IIRC, NHTSA showed there was an increase in low speed crashes due to the lack of sound of the EV resulting in people in parking lots not noticing them. This lead to people more likely to step out in front of them.

No difference in higher speed crashes.

This was a few years ago, but the call was to make EVs make noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians to look up from their phones occasionally...
    Dude. You’re dennying up my joke. :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Mayor pete on the news explaining how the 7.5 billion that's been spent on 7 charging stations is OK and that the government is going to have half a million of them going in a few years. I understand the economy of scale, but this whole thing smells like solyndra all over again.

When I see him on tv I see the poster boy for everything that's wrong in dc leadership.

Always follow the money..........

......and there's a lot to follow.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In the event someone is the market for a Wrangler 4XE, there are some pretty solid lease deals at the moment. High residual + $7500 credit at time of lease + Chrysler inventory stockpiling and dealers dealing = low monthly lease.

Not something I need, but honestly see the appeal. Enough battery only range for in town commute but with a gas motor for longer trips (or run both simultaneously for pretty solid performance *for a Wrangler*), and a 36 month lease means the battery and whatnot is never out of warranty.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Wonder if that will change, now that Elan is no longer the darling of the left?

Side note; With the administration cramming EV's down our throats, like they did with mandates and lockdowns, wonder how much of the public will be turned away from EVs?

So who has made you by an EV?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Mayor pete on the news explaining how the 7.5 billion that's been spent on 7 charging stations is OK and that the government is going to have half a million of them going in a few years. I understand the economy of scale, but this whole thing smells like solyndra all over again.

When I see him on tv I see the poster boy for everything that's wrong in dc leadership.

Always follow the money..........

......and there's a lot to follow.

Partial excerpt:

MARGARET BRENNAN: I want to ask you about something that we hear quite a lot about on the campaign trail, and that is electric cars, electric vehicles. Donald Trump repeatedly talks about President Biden's decision to force the industry towards making 56% of car batteries* electric by 2032, 13% hybrid. Listen to what he said in New Jersey recently.

(START SOUND ON TAPE)

FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Do you notice he's trying to save the electrical vehicle but not the gas powered, which is the vehicle that everybody wants. They're going crazy with the electric car, costing us a fortune. We're spending hundreds of billions of dollars subsidizing a car that nobody wants and nobody's ever gonna buy.

(END SOUND ON TAPE)

MARGARET BRENNAN: He's not wrong--

SECRETARY BUTTIGIEG: -- Oh he's wrong--

MARGARET BRENNAN: -- On the purchasing. He's not. Of the 4 million vehicles purchased, you know what- 269,000 electric vehicles were sold in the US market. It's up like 2%.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So who has made you by an EV?
    Strawman much? He didn’t say they did. If a guy is pointing a gun at you and says he is going to shoot you do you believe him? Both elected and bureaucratic types have said they are going to make it so ICE cannot be manufactured so the fact is they are continuing to implement regulations to achieve all that…

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Partial excerpt:

MARGARET BRENNAN: I want to ask you about something that we hear quite a lot about on the campaign trail, and that is electric cars, electric vehicles. Donald Trump repeatedly talks about President Biden's decision to force the industry towards making 56% of car batteries* electric by 2032, 13% hybrid. Listen to what he said in New Jersey recently.

(START SOUND ON TAPE)

FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Do you notice he's trying to save the electrical vehicle but not the gas powered, which is the vehicle that everybody wants. They're going crazy with the electric car, costing us a fortune. We're spending hundreds of billions of dollars subsidizing a car that nobody wants and nobody's ever gonna buy.

(END SOUND ON TAPE)

MARGARET BRENNAN: He's not wrong--

SECRETARY BUTTIGIEG: -- Oh he's wrong--

MARGARET BRENNAN: -- On the purchasing. He's not. Of the 4 million vehicles purchased, you know what- 269,000 electric vehicles were sold in the US market. It's up like 2%.
    0f385cdb-cc44-4f97-b9a3-5ae4399e441b_text.gif

Top Bottom