www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Time to up the count to 100.

Would it be possible for the classifieds to just not even show up for you until you're at your 50?

Plus eleventyseven on both. qualifying on post count should seem insurmountable to the n00b who created an account to get to something in the classifieds. That would stop the runners.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Plus eleventyseven on both. qualifying on post count should seem insurmountable to the n00b. That would stop the runners.

Plus eleventyseven on both. qualifying on post count should seem insurmountable to the n00b who created an account to get to something in the classifieds. That would stop the runners.

:dunno:

Runner?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's becoming more and more obvious. "NIB" classifieds sellers seem to be cropping up from years old members with less than a couple hundred posts.

Yup........it has enhanced the offerings to the membership.
    Some of the pricing makes it obvious as to the intentions of the posting members.
    I have seen some decent deals come through.
    Being a 1911 guy it is a rarity for me to find something but they do come along.
    Lusting for a TRP Tactical bull barreled Springer with a full rail right now.
    Seen a couple of half rails priced a bit to high for my needs.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Time to up the count to 100.

Would it be possible for the classifieds to just not even show up for you until you're at your 50?

Or make them run harder and longer essentially doubling the mod's already tedious work of keeping up with them.

There is definitely a way to make the classifieds not visible to those who haven't earned access, but I believe many people (even those who actually stick around and contribute) find the site through the classifieds. Without that visibility, membership growth would slow dramatically.

IMHO, there are a few factors to consider. First, is the visibility aspect. If new visitors/members are truly finding INGO through the classifieds =, you wouldn't want to make them hidden or new member rates would drop as was mentioned. Is there a way that we can see how people are actually finding INGO, though?

Increasing the post count could deter some potential runners and even increase the number of supporters. For the determined runners, it would just increase the number of one-liners, which wouldn't add quality to the community here. It could also have a negative impact because it might turn off those that just don't post very often for whatever reason. It's probably impossible to know what the impact would be unless it's implemented, but someone should keep an eye on that data to know for sure. One thing that I am concerned about here is the other things that you don't have access to (such as the ability to respond to a PM) before you reach the required post count. When I first joined, I found it frustrating at times that I couldn't respond to someone's PM because of the post requirement.

It might even be possible (depending on what admin tools are available on this site) to grant posting access to the classifieds by approval. If that access is only tied to someone's post count, someone could make a run and get access before a mod puts a stop to it. If someone has to request access before they have that access, a mod would be required to evaluate their quality post count before granting access. If this site can auto-notify mods when someone qualifies, that would be easiest, but you could also have a "request classifieds access here" thread with clear instructions/prerequisites that could be monitored.

That's just my thoughts on all of this, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IMHO, there are a few factors to consider. First, is the visibility aspect. If new visitors/members are truly finding INGO through the classifieds =, you wouldn't want to make them hidden or new member rates would drop as was mentioned. Is there a way that we can see how people are actually finding INGO, though?

Increasing the post count could deter some potential runners and even increase the number of supporters. For the determined runners, it would just increase the number of one-liners, which wouldn't add quality to the community here. It could also have a negative impact because it might turn off those that just don't post very often for whatever reason. It's probably impossible to know what the impact would be unless it's implemented, but someone should keep an eye on that data to know for sure. One thing that I am concerned about here is the other things that you don't have access to (such as the ability to respond to a PM) before you reach the required post count. When I first joined, I found it frustrating at times that I couldn't respond to someone's PM because of the post requirement.

It might even be possible (depending on what admin tools are available on this site) to grant posting access to the classifieds by approval. If that access is only tied to someone's post count, someone could make a run and get access before a mod puts a stop to it. If someone has to request access before they have that access, a mod would be required to evaluate their quality post count before granting access. If this site can auto-notify mods when someone qualifies, that would be easiest, but you could also have a "request classifieds access here" thread with clear instructions/prerequisites that could be monitored.

That's just my thoughts on all of this, though.

So you want to make our (staff) lives a nightmare.......:)

The 50 is fine with us. The members have become a monitoring tool for us (staff) and we keep things in check.
    If a runner slams it and jumps into the classy's we usually get notified and pull those posts. Usually to a load of "Butt-Hurt" by those offended by our standing firm on the few and simple forum rules.
    read them. Follow them and we will love having new members come on board.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    So you want to make our (staff) lives a nightmare.......:)
    Nope, certainly not. I think you're all doing a fine job from what I can see. I was just offering some feedback and another suggestion if a change was being considered. I don't spend a ton of time on the forums, so I don't know how big of a problem runners might be. If it's not a problem and working as intended, keep up the great work! If it is a problem, a change could be in order, but I leave it to you all to figure out the best way to do that.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I like that idea of a dialog that pops up as part of the new account process, a big PLEASE READ at the top, then going on to say welcome, we seek to build a vibrant community, yadda yadda, learn, contribute, etc etc, there are benefits to becoming an established member including access to the classifieds, all that, FAQ, Rules [links], usw, you can get these benefits as a site supporter [link].

Not to be confrontational or high pressure sell, just a quick get-it-in-front-of-them so they can understand coming in. Maybe this would cut down on the ones that don't take the initiative to dig in and research.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom