The purge of conservatives from the Republican party has begun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I agree that most republicans are worthless on this issue. However, the only place you'll find anyone interested in border control is in the republican party.

Actually I would say Conservatives. The republican party could care less as was pointed out earlier, they are as corupt as the democratic party. And it appears to me the (R) want less an less Conservatives in the party....good luck. Looking for a Conservative party.....check out the Constitutional Party....the Libertarian Party started in 1972 an is growing, other parties are out there also,....but the ignorant will never look at something eles unless its popular, or the media tells them too......like someone said somewhere, if the (R) got Pelosi to run for them as a (R), (R) would vote for her. And to be far and balanced......if the (D) could get Hitler to run as a (D), (D) would vote for him.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Depends on your definition of conservative now doesn't it. Some people say Rush and Sean are conservative, I have always said they are not conservative enough for me.:twocents:

I don't think that's the case. Before the constitution was ratified, the "Federalists" wanted a national government and the constitution ratified, while the "Anti-Federalists" didn't. The Federalists got their way and the first President use the Army against the American people when they rebelled against taxes. Eventually, the Anti-federalist Jeffersonians were elected to power, where they proceeded to dismantle at least some of the conservation of wealth and power that the first two Presidents created.

The Republicans today paint themselves as the party of "no," but they're really the party of "not right now." Nearly every major Democratic political objective has been reached in my lifetime, including their golden goose of this sham "health care reform."

We need to stop deluding ourselves that Republicans are for small government. They are not now and have never supported small government, unless you count Barry Goldwater's 1964 landslide campaign loss.

On this immigration issue: free immigration of labor is necessary for capitalism to function. That's why Republicans are stuck in this stupid inconsistency, because they cannot simultaneously support free markets while supporting protectionism for labor. That doesn't work. In fact, we have a word for it, and it isn't "capitalism." It's called "mercantilism."

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I don't think that's the case. Before the constitution was ratified, the "Federalists" wanted a national government and the constitution ratified, while the "Anti-Federalists" didn't. The Federalists got their way and the first President use the Army against the American people when they rebelled against taxes. Eventually, the Anti-federalist Jeffersonians were elected to power, where they proceeded to dismantle at least some of the conservation of wealth and power that the first two Presidents created.

The Republicans today paint themselves as the party of "no," but they're really the party of "not right now." Nearly every major Democratic political objective has been reached in my lifetime, including their golden goose of this sham "health care reform."

We need to stop deluding ourselves that Republicans are for small government. They are not now and have never supported small government, unless you count Barry Goldwater's 1964 landslide campaign loss.

On this immigration issue: free immigration of labor is necessary for capitalism to function. That's why Republicans are stuck in this stupid inconsistency, because they cannot simultaneously support free markets while supporting protectionism for labor. That doesn't work. In fact, we have a word for it, and it isn't "capitalism." It's called "mercantilism."

Great post! I wish more people understood the difference between Mercantilism and Capitalism because we actually are a Mercantilist economy, not Capitalist, ever since Lincoln was able to adopt Henry Clay's "American System" as Federal policy, which was nothing more than repackaged British Mercantilism.

They make an effort to distinguish it nowadays by calling it "Crony Capitalism" but everything people hate about "Capitalism" is actually Mercantilism disguised under the banner of Capitalism.

I disagree with your labor comment though as it applies to immigration, unless you make one fundamental change, and that is: Immigrants are used for labor only, and are ineligible for citizenship and/or any other perks from Government that rightfully belong only to citizens.

Once you break that wall down, then you are applying mercantilism to labor, not capitalism.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Great post! I wish more people understood the difference between Mercantilism and Capitalism because we actually are a Mercantilist economy, not Capitalist, ever since Lincoln was able to adopt Henry Clay's "American System" as Federal policy, which was nothing more than repackaged British Mercantilism.

It was happening long before that. Alexander Hamilton was a famous mercantilist, who just so happened to be the first Secretary of the Treasury.

Infant industry argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mercantilism has been a force hard to rid the US of for a long time. In those days, the government was small, but it was powerful because it had the power to pass tariffs. Now, tariffs are a dirty word, so we pass "regulations" or engage in other shenanigans that paint protectionism as another name (closed borders, anyone?!).

Also, crony capitalism has some overlap with mercantilism, but crony capitalism is a better description of much of what goes on in the modern US.

Last edited:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    It was happening long before that. Alexander Hamilton was a famous mercantilist, who just so happened to be the first Secretary of the Treasury.

Mercantilism has been a force hard to rid the US of for a long time. In those days, the government was small, but it was powerful because it had the power to pass tariffs. Now, tariffs are a dirty word, so we pass "regulations" or engage in other shenanigans that paint protectionism as another name (closed borders, anyone?!).

Also, crony capitalism has some overlap with mercantilism, but crony capitalism is a better description of much of what goes on in the modern US.

Right. I understand Hamilton's policies. However, as you pointed out in your other post, the Federalists were defeated and their successors, the Whigs, were never successful at the Presidential level, and were never able to promote much of their agenda until their successors, the Republicans, i.e Lincoln, came into office.

Also, pre 1860, most state's had put "internal improvement" bans in their state constitutions, so I'd say that although you had committed mercantilists in government, there were never dominant until Lincoln was able to push through his policies during the Civil War.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The Federalists got their way and the first President use the Army against the American people when they rebelled against taxes.

6 counties in a nation is a far cry from the American people. In all reality Washington dragged his feet on the issue, repeatedly sending mediators, and not doing a thing until the Chief Justice ordered him to settle the problem. He showed up with his 15,000 or so militiamen, and told the rebels to go home and they did.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rush Limbaugh was pointing out that Obama's goal is to break the republicans thus giving the democrats domination for generations. If that happens could the Tea Party weasel into the dems? It would be far easier to take out the left in the primaries rather than in the general election.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Total myth. Conservatives do not and have not ever wanted smaller government. The idea of being "conservative" or "federalist" if you prefer the 200 year-old term, is to support a large and powerful national government.

They don't want smaller government; they just want different, big government.

That is no libertarian's friend.

Basically you are stating that the libertarians are anti federalist, much like those in the south during the Civil War.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Crony capitalism is what the fascists practiced during WW2. There were favored industrialists who got special privileges because their support for the party. Sort of like Ford Motors and the democrats these days.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    6 counties in a nation is a far cry from the American people. In all reality Washington dragged his feet on the issue, repeatedly sending mediators, and not doing a thing until the Chief Justice ordered him to settle the problem. He showed up with his 15,000 or so militiamen, and told the rebels to go home and they did.

6 counties or 6 cells is the "American people"

Basically you are stating that the libertarians are anti federalist, much like those in the south during the Civil War.

It seems as if you're equating "anti-federalist" with "anti-union" or "secessionist," which is not what I intended. The anti-federalists weren't necessarily opposed to having a confederation of states, but they did very much fear the conservation of power on a national level.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    6 counties or 6 cells is the "American people"

No, the "American people" is a whole. The Whiskey Rebellion could best be classified as a regional minor protracted out of control protest. Lawlessness basically. The Federal government, in this instance, handled it well. Not often one can really say that about our federal government.

These cussed about Federalist could have established an aristocracy, they certainly had a decent amount of support for such, instead they gave us 'res publica' for all to sit about and whine over.

Perspective, it really does matter sometimes.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    No, the "American people" is a whole.

Sorry, but I just don't agree. Using the military to crush a protest, whether it's a 1 man protest, an organized gaggle, or a rebellion, is the same sin, just different degrees of the same thing. If you want to disagree, that's fine, but I do not agree that taking up arms against "American people" requires taking up arms against all of them or even a large plurality.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I had real hopes when Boehner got the leader position. He is another that talks the talk but that's it. It is as if the Dems have something on him and he is afraid to push back. Something is wrong, he's acting more like a lib than the conservative he claimed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had real hopes when Boehner got the leader position. He is another that talks the talk but that's it. It is as if the Dems have something on him and he is afraid to push back. Something is wrong, he's acting more like a lib than the conservative he claimed.

I agree that the Dems have something on him. I am just not sure whether it is dirt or the mile-wide yellow streak up his back.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    One thing I will predict, is that if the Republicans are stupid enough to vote for an actual tax increase (as in, higher rates) rather than duping the American public into believing that "closing loopholes" isn't raising taxes, and doing that instead, they are going to suffer HARD in 2014. Because it's apparent from the media that what Obama wants is higher rates, and if they give him that, I am absolutely certain that they will pay the price. Every newspaper and media outlet on earth will be publishing the fact that Republicans raised taxes, and the Dems will suffer no punishment for it, but the Republicans in Congress will take a beating.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One thing I will predict, is that if the Republicans are stupid enough to vote for an actual tax increase (as in, higher rates) rather than duping the American public into believing that "closing loopholes" isn't raising taxes, and doing that instead, they are going to suffer HARD in 2014. Because it's apparent from the media that what Obama wants is higher rates, and if they give him that, I am absolutely certain that they will pay the price. Every newspaper and media outlet on earth will be publishing the fact that Republicans raised taxes, and the Dems will suffer no punishment for it, but the Republicans in Congress will take a beating.

You are right, but the way they have been acting, I don't think they have the sense to see it.

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Look guys, as much as it KILLS me to say it, the left has won, and will continue to win for the foreseeable future. They played the long game of indoctrination through education, propaganda through the popular media, and demonizing anybody who doesn't toe the party line. It worked for them. This country is finished, it's all over except for the screaming. I'm just glad I don't have kids.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look guys, as much as it KILLS me to say it, the left has won, and will continue to win for the foreseeable future. They played the long game of indoctrination through education, propaganda through the popular media, and demonizing anybody who doesn't toe the party line. It worked for them. This country is finished, it's all over except for the screaming. I'm just glad I don't have kids.

It may take 70 years of being enslaved for the American people to learn. It took that long for the Russians under communism. and the same for the Babylonian captivity to rid Judah of its idolatry.

Actually there is hope. The daughters of the Baby Boomers, those who are Millennials (born between 1982 amd 2000) and the kids of the next generation (born after 2000) are rejecting feminism. Too many tomboys. If it follows like what happened for the Regency Era (1790 to 1830), the women during that period were sexually libertine but their grand daughters rejected that and became the Victorian Age women. Thing do run in cycles.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom