• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe the dems are playing the long game, figuring to pick up the votes from illegals today that are voting and even more in the future when they become citizens, or just keep voting.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe the dems are playing the long game, figuring to pick up the votes from illegals today that are voting and even more in the future when they become citizens, or just keep voting.

They don't need the votes of illegals. They've had the votes of thousands of dead folks for generations. Heck, Richard Daley Sr has voted for Rahm at least three (3) times - per election.

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Constructors, of Omaha, Neb., is putting up a 30-foot high “bollard-style wall” to replace 2.25 miles of wall built in the 1990s out of recycled scraps of metal and steel plates. (The bollard style uses bars, so that border patrol officers can see through to the other side.)

I helped build that. Our section, at least, wasn't "scraps", but it was recycled. It was old emergency runway matting.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We just need to close the borders. Stop the asylum too.
    Sorry good imigrants but the illegals and the terrorists ruined it for you, go home.

Except sylvain, he can come in anytime because hes my brother from another mother.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Sorry good imigrants but the illegals and the terrorists ruined it for you, go home.

Except sylvain, he can come in anytime because hes my brother from another mother.
    Are you turning in your guns because a few people have used them irresponsibly? If not be careful how far you want that logic extended.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I helped build that. Our section, at least, wasn't "scraps", but it was recycled. It was old emergency runway matting.

Very interesting, and cool life story, BBI.

When I see pictures of the 30-ft concrete prototypes, they appear very formidable to me. Not that they couldn't be defeated, but not very easily done, in my estimation.

For the tall metal post style ones, I could see two ropes with boat anchors making them fairly easy to scale for someone with a little athleticism. Throw one over, anchor between the bars and up you go... ditto down the other side. Again, from pictures.

For the corrugated metal type, it would seem that standing on top of an SUV or old school bus and a rope ladder would make it easy to defeat, up and over in less than a minute from putting the vehicle in park. Throw a doormat on the top to avoid cutting yourself or the rope. Not to mention cutting a hole through it in minutes with a torch.

You've seen the last one up close and personal. In your opinion, difficult to defeat?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need a solid win in November to get the numbers that will approve getting the wall built. The wall will eliminate most of these illegal immigration problems. That is why the libs hate it so much.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I'm flattered TT but I don't want any special treatment. :)

I don't think closing the border is the solution.
    If you look at the different FBI statistics when it comes to terrorism you will see that most acts of terrorism are commited by US nationals.

Of 418 individuals tracked by New America who are accused of jihadist terrorism related crimes in the United States since 9/11, 85 percent of them were either U.S. citizens or U.S. legal residents, and about half were born American citizens, Ford said.

Most of those acts of terrorism are commited by far-right or far-lefts extremists, not by radical Islamic extremists.So by home grown terrorists.

You're also not taking into consideration all the legal visitors, tourirsts, who come to the US to spend their money.
    The United States is the second most visited country in the world with over 75 million foreign visitors each year.
    They support a multi-billion dollar industry.That's millions of jobs and over 2% of the GDP.

There's far more good than bad comming thru the border.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We need a solid win in November to get the numbers that will approve getting the wall built. The wall will eliminate most of these illegal immigration problems. That is why the libs hate it so much.

A wall may well reduce the number of illicit overland crossings, but that is only one part of the immigration problem. It does nothing to address visa overstays, which is a bigger problem in total numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/visa-overstays-outnumber-illegal-border-crossings-trend-expected-continue-n730216

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/22/visa-overstays-biggest-problem-illegal-immigration/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-wall-will-keep-visitors-from-overstaying-their-visas-1516234020

Overlooked fact in the immigration debate: The 500K visa overstays per year | Fox News

https://cis.org/Arthur/Half-Illegal-Population-Are-Overstays

So, the question remains: what effect does a border wall have on overall illegal immigration? Will it serve as a deterrent to people trying to enter, or only funnel illegals through more easily-exploited (and less easily addressed) methods of entry?

I have no idea how much the wall will cost to build, but I see estimates of 18-20 billion thrown around pretty regularly. I wonder what impact 20 billion dollars spent on enforcement instead would make on both illegal border crossings and things like visa overstays. I'm not opposed to spending money at the border but I want to see it used to the best effect, and I'm still not convinced a wall is it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    A wall may well reduce the number of illicit overland crossings, but that is only one part of the immigration problem. It does nothing to address visa overstays, which is a bigger problem in total numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/visa-overstays-outnumber-illegal-border-crossings-trend-expected-continue-n730216

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/22/visa-overstays-biggest-problem-illegal-immigration/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-wall-will-keep-visitors-from-overstaying-their-visas-1516234020

Overlooked fact in the immigration debate: The 500K visa overstays per year | Fox News

https://cis.org/Arthur/Half-Illegal-Population-Are-Overstays

So, the question remains: what effect does a border wall have on overall illegal immigration? Will it serve as a deterrent to people trying to enter, or only funnel illegals through more easily-exploited (and less easily addressed) methods of entry?

I have no idea how much the wall will cost to build, but I see estimates of 18-20 billion thrown around pretty regularly. I wonder what impact 20 billion dollars spent on enforcement instead would make on both illegal border crossings and things like visa overstays. I'm not opposed to spending money at the border but I want to see it used to the best effect, and I'm still not convinced a wall is it.

this is why ICE needs to stay where it is......

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    this is why ICE needs to stay where it is......

ICE is a product of the USAPATRIOT act, and isn't without its major flaws. I'm open to a conversation about restructuring or replacing ICE with a more responsive and evidence-based approach to immigration enforcement and border control...but the idea it can just be scrapped wholesale is the stuff of leftist fantasy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ICE is a product of the USAPATRIOT act, and isn't without its major flaws. I'm open to a conversation about restructuring or replacing ICE with a more responsive and evidence-based approach to immigration enforcement and border control...but the idea it can just be scrapped wholesale is the stuff of leftist fantasy.

I’d agree with that. I’m really not fond of the border patrol checkpoints 100 miles inland. Papers please? **** you.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I’d agree with that. I’m really not fond of the border patrol checkpoints 100 miles inland. Papers please? **** you.

Exactly. This is yet another example of a very necessary function of government (I.e., protecting our borders) being perverted into converting the home of the majority of our population into a 'Constitution-free zone while largely failing to address the agency's ostensible purpose. We need a border patrol that controls the border, nothing more or less.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The libs don't want the wall because it cannot readily be undone. It will be a major thing to undo the security associated with the wall and very noticeable.

The libs hate the wall because it will show the whole country how much better we can be with ONLY legal immigration vs the open borders we have now. They know they'll never get back peddled from there...

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The libs don't want the wall because it cannot readily be undone. It will be a major thing to undo the security associated with the wall and very noticeable.

The libs hate the wall because it will show the whole country how much better we can be with ONLY legal immigration vs the open borders we have now. They know they'll never get back peddled from there...
    You think this wall will magically stop all illegal entry into our country?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Nope. Makes it easier for the border patrol to monitor though.
    If they have to stop to spend time to go over etc they are much easier to spot and stop.
    Also, building costs are going to stop at some point.

Why put a fence around your garden patch, the rabbits will still get in, not as many but might as well take down the fence.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

No magic involved. The wall with solid security WILL solve the problem.

A lot of the reason we have a problem is that the world knows our border is open. Close it and that will change.

Along with holding Mexico accountable for their part of this mess, we will make them clear that they will pay for these problems in trade, if not fixed.

Top Bottom