• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well there you go. Why does't the administration simply say this? Or have they?

There's not been a whole lot of coverage. Much easier to engage in yellow journalism targeted at ICE.

Good article here:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-administration-defends-family-separation-policy-1529341079

Admin statement:

[video]https://www.c-span.org/video/?447252-1/homeland-security-secretary-nielsen-calls-congress-fix-immigration-policy[/video]

Yellow journalism example 1:

ICE demands apology from New Yorker fact checker after slandering agent and Marine veteran as Nazi | Fox News

Yellow journalism example 2:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rying-miscaptioned-not-ice-custody/710396002/

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    DgDw8yKWkAAnyzp.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well there you go. Why does't the administration simply say this? Or have they?

Because they're too busy saying stupid **** like that it's a deterrent for families crossing the border.

The way I understand the issue, because of a ruling that children accompanying adults crossing the border illegally, cannot be legally detained with the parents, the choice is either to separate them or let the "family" go, meaning, allow them to illegally enter the country.

What's changed is that Trump's administration is no longer letting them go, which seems reasonable to do, it's just that the law is kinda ****ed up since it requires separation. It's also my understanding that typically it takes less than a day to process illegal border crossers. It's just a misdemeanor to cross the border illegally--they usually just get processed and sent back the same day. But now many of those arrested are claiming asylum, which can take several weeks to process. So then their children are separated for weeks.

Paul Ryan is supposed to introduce legislation that fixes the court ruling, so that children may stay with their families during detention. I predict Democrats will try to keep that from passing, so they can keep the crisis alive.

And the media is, of course, in full crisis mode, turning the narrative to ****, telling half-truths, and outright lies. And of course, as usual, the administration is doing all it can to make the narrative stick by saying the stupid ****. And then there's Sessions quoting scripture about obeying the law, for crying out loud. This authoritarian administration just can't help themselves out of a non-crisis. When they have the clear means to shove this narrative of "concentration camps" up Progressive's ass and make them own it, they're out saying, yeah, we did it, so **** you.

And as far as asking for asylum, anyone can go to any port of entry, and ask for asylum. And while being processed, they can stay with their kids. Someone needs to pass that information along to potential illegal border crossers, that there's a better way to ask for asylum than illegally crossing the border, getting arrested for breaking the law, being separated from their kids, then asking for asylum after being arrested.

TLDR; it's not Trump's fault for kids being separated from familes--they can always not try to enter the country illegally. But Trump is doing all he can to make it look like his fault.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't rep you right now, but kudos Indiucky. That's funny stuff.

TLDR; it's not Trump's fault for kids being separated from families--they can always not try to enter the country illegally. But Trump is doing all he can to make it look like his fault.

That's my feeling, too right now.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Because they're too busy saying stupid **** like that it's a deterrent for families crossing the border.

The way I understand the issue, because of a ruling that children accompanying adults crossing the border illegally, cannot be legally detained with the parents, the choice is either to separate them or let the "family" go, meaning, allow them to illegally enter the country.

What's changed is that Trump's administration is no longer letting them go, which seems reasonable to do, it's just that the law is kinda ****ed up since it requires separation. It's also my understanding that typically it takes less than a day to process illegal border crossers. It's just a misdemeanor to cross the border illegally--they usually just get processed and sent back the same day. But now many of those arrested are claiming asylum, which can take several weeks to process. So then their children are separated for weeks.

For first time illegal border crossers, it's a misdemeanor. Repeat offenders are felons.

8 U.S. Code § 1325 - Improper entry by alien
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts
    Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

Paul Ryan is supposed to introduce legislation that fixes the court ruling, so that children may stay with their families during detention. I predict Democrats will try to keep that from passing, so they can keep the crisis alive.

And the media is, of course, in full crisis mode, turning the narrative to ****, telling half-truths, and outright lies. And of course, as usual, the administration is doing all it can to make the narrative stick by saying the stupid ****. And then there's Sessions quoting scripture about obeying the law, for crying out loud. This authoritarian administration just can't help themselves out of a non-crisis. When they have the clear means to shove this narrative of "concentration camps" up Progressive's ass and make them own it, they're out saying, yeah, we did it, so **** you.

And as far as asking for asylum, anyone can go to any port of entry, and ask for asylum. And while being processed, they can stay with their kids. Someone needs to pass that information along to potential illegal border crossers, that there's a better way to ask for asylum than illegally crossing the border, getting arrested for breaking the law, being separated from their kids, then asking for asylum after being arrested.

TLDR; it's not Trump's fault for kids being separated from familes--they can always not try to enter the country illegally. But Trump is doing all he can to make it look like his fault.

Well said!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For first time illegal border crossers, it's a misdemeanor. Repeat offenders are felons.

8 U.S. Code § 1325 - Improper entry by alien
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

Well said!

Right. Presumably most of the people getting caught are first timers and could be back together with their families within a few hours if they don't request asylum. If the purpose were to request asylum, you'd think they'd just go to a port of entry, where they're not arrested, nor charged with a crime, nor separated from their children.

The felony crossers, well, that's kinda too bad. If they're charged as felons, prosecuted, and sentenced, obviously they're going to be separated from their children while incarcerated.

Here's my solution. You get arrested for misdemeanor illegal border crossing, you get sent back as usual, even if you ask for asylum. If you want asylum, after you're sent back across the border, go to a port of entry and ask for asylum.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I see a lot of people quoting Leviticus 19:34 on the old Facebook, but no one quoting Exodus 23:31-33.

How could God have told the Israelites what their borders are and told them to get rid of the people there and to control their borders, and at the same time tell them to treat foreigners in their land justly and as they would treat them the same as one of their own?

Anyone? Anyone?

There is​ an answer (probably more than one) that allows for consistency.

I mean, we're not under the law, but since well-meaning people who seem not to have looked into the situation are going to act like America is a modern day "children of Israel" (which we are not), I'll engage on this fiction.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You mean, like, the President?

Yeah. Ignore him.

Yeah...I wouldn't rely on him for accurate exegesis.

The funny thing is, in the christian circles I run in, lately there has been a lot of talk of keeping secular politics out of the church...with the apparent exception that we can quote verses out pf context to criticize Trump. I love the consistency.

Top Bottom