• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So this is a strange one.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-officers-arrest-michigan-214400552.html

I'm interested to hear what the issue is.

I am familiar with a handful of other cases where children were brought here in that same time frame on their parents' immigration visas, got SSNs simply by filling out the paperwork, and then something got sideways when they turned 16 (or 18) and they found out MUCH later that their status was illegal. People didn't know what forms to fill out, or even the need to fill out the forms. I believe the rule is that until that age (16 or 18), they are legal under the parents' status but after that, they need to fill out their own immigration forms. (That now-evil chain-migration thing.)

I think I alluded to that very early in this thread.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    would you think after 40 years he would got his citizenship by now?????........do they not know how or just didn't think they would get caught?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    would you think after 40 years he would got his citizenship by now?????........do they not know how or just didn't think they would get caught?

It's not like you automatically get it after a certain number of years.
    The article says he had legal permanent resident status, so he was there legally and couldn't get "caught".
    His status was just not renewed for whatever reason.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you read the comments it might have something to do with his criminal history.

It's not like you automatically get it after a certain number of years.
    The article says he had legal permanent resident status, so he was there legally and couldn't get "caught".
    His status was just not renewed for whatever reason.

That could be the reason.

You can stay legally for many decades with a permanent resident status without ever becoming a citizen, you just better not break the law.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some people are proud of their heritage and don't feel like becoming a citizen.

I'm not sure how American it would be to force people to do that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    then i guess we need to kick the doors open then?????????:n00b:
    Holy banal binariness, Batman!

No. Not at all. This doctor immigrated here legally. He's lived here legally. Paid taxes legally. Bought stuff legally. Accidentally (I presume) got sideways with his status.

I don't think we should kick him out. (Leaving room to changing my mind on that if it turns out he's a felon or something.)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes, it does. Yes, they did. He has a green card. You don't get that if you come here illegally.

sazr6.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Yes, it does. Yes, they did. He has a green card. You don't get that if you come here illegally.

i guess i need to look up this immigration stuff.....i didn't know you could hang on to a green card for 40 years and not have to become a citizen.......:dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    i guess i need to look up this immigration stuff.....i didn't know you could hang on to a green card for 40 years and not have to become a citizen.......:dunno:
    As I said, there is no requirement to become a citizen. As long as the green card is renewed (which is apparently where this guy slipped up), it can go on forever.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    For me, I've known Americans who've gone abroad to work or just settle someplace else. I can't think of one that gave up their American citizenship, though.

It almost seems like there are some advantages to retaining American citizenship.
    If not, and they don’t plan on coming back why keep it?

Top Bottom