• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are probably right. But if that's true, I'm not sure it makes sense at a deeper level. People living in the various flavors of the "West" generally like the flavor they have. There isn't a whole lot of emigration among them (retirees might be the biggest demographic doing that).

If it is descriptive, what is he describing? How things are, or how things should be?

Both, given the conversation on twitter with Gad Saad. What I get out of that is that it's reasonable that nations tend to accept immigrants who are more like them, because that comports with human nature. That's not to say that we would want to exclude people just because they come from places which have very different values, but that we would want to seek out people, regardless of where they come from, who can assimilate into a society with our values.

So Western values: liberty, freedom of speech, religion, thought, association, etcetera.

And I woudn't say that culture is the problem. Diverse cultures can easily coexist peacefully as long as the general societal and individual values aren't too diverse. A culture which values pedophilia will only work in Hollywood, with any long term acceptance, for example. It's not going to play well in middle America. So, the people who are most accepting of the Western values will likely do well in Western societies, regardless of their cultures.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's a meme. HE probably gave all the adjectives, adverbs, participles needed in the lecture where he presented the sentiment captured in the meme. If the meme doesn't contain enough information to come to the conclusion I have, it's the fault of the meme-creator. I've drawn my conclusions from hearing the language before, in broader contexts.

I've heard him lecture on immigration and he is not anti-immigration. And he's not an open borders advocate. In one of his biblical lectures series, he talked about that. In it he said it's perfectly reasonable for nations to have borders--not everyone has the same values and interests. If you have open borders then the values of the nation changes too quickly, which leads to conflict, and chaos. So it's reasonable for a nation with borders to have criteria for people to immigrate who will enhance the society and be able to assimilate properly, and become a functioning member of that nation. So I see that meme, and having heard lectures where he's talked about the topic I can easily infer what it doesn't mean, and what it probably means.

So, in my opinion, he's not prescribing anything. He's making an observation about the way groups behave. Again. I think your biggest beef is the meme author for being too concise.

EDIT: Actually the meme quote is from a tweet by Peterson. The conversation with Gad Saad that follows tends to support what I think it is. They're talking about how things are. Tendencies. Gad Saad said it this way, birds of a feather flock together. It's not a prescription. It's a description. They're talking about human nature.

I never heard of him before this. All I had to go on is what I saw in that meme. I can't argue with what you wrote but without your context, the meme simply doesn't convey that message, IMO.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    elian-gonzalez-was-a-dreamer-todo-this-ishow-democrats-ted-14922888.png

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    USAToday: There are 3.6M 'DREAMers' — a number far greater than commonly known

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...amers-and-most-may-face-nightmare/1042134001/

There are an estimated 3.6 M people who would qualify under previous versions of the DREAM ACT (which never became law). There are about 800,000 DACA recipients.

Beware of a "bait and switch" on any DACA deal... DACA and DREAM ACT are not the same.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    USAToday: There are 3.6M 'DREAMers' — a number far greater than commonly known

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...amers-and-most-may-face-nightmare/1042134001/

There are an estimated 3.6 M people who would qualify under previous versions of the DREAM ACT (which never became law). There are about 800,000 DACA recipients.

Beware of a "bait and switch" on any DACA deal... DACA and DREAM ACT are not the same.

Everyone needs to read this!

Happened to catch Rush today on the radio. He was talking about just this.

Everyone wants to talk about these few 800k that Obama specifically let in vs the actual number of "dreamers." That doesn't even consider the additional estimated 8 million that could be brought in through chain migration.

Now were talking big numbers, numbers that build on themselves. Numbers that change elections.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Everyone needs to read this!

Happened to catch Rush today on the radio. He was talking about just this.

Everyone wants to talk about these few 800k that Obama specifically let in vs the actual number of "dreamers." That doesn't even consider the additional estimated 8 million that could be brought in through chain migration.

Now were talking big numbers, numbers that build on themselves. Numbers that change elections.

14% of citizens in the US are foreign born. I just learned that the census counts "people", not "citizens" and this is used to decide house seats. so CA has several more house seats than they should thanks to millions of illegals living there. Pathetic. This is the reason for sanctuary cities. That and cheap labor.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    14% of citizens in the US are foreign born. I just learned that the census counts "people", not "citizens" and this is used to decide house seats. so CA has several more house seats than they should thanks to millions of illegals living there. Pathetic. This is the reason for sanctuary cities. That and cheap labor.

That's true Doc, but that is not just illegals by the way.
    I've been counted as part of the census while staying in the US as a tourist (so legally) one time.I thought it was odd.

The census folks came to my friend's house (US citizen) and wanted to know how many people lived there at the time.
    I told them I was not a US citizen and wasn't staying for long but they told me they had to count me anyway as someone living in the state of Indiana.

So if they do the census in the summer California might have a bunch of foreign tourirsts (possibly tens of thousands?) counted as "living in the state", they would also count US citizens from other states while they stay in CA.

I'm not sure if they go to hotels for the census though or only private homes.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

That was very interesting. It reminded me of something from a number of years ago. There had been a natural disaster in Haiti and the kids at the elementary school I worked at were going around collecting money for the relief efforts. I was talking to a teacher when several kids came up and asked for donations. I was surprised that the teacher said no, she wasn't interested in giving anything. This was very much a shock to me since I knew that she had went to Haiti on mission trips during the summer at least twice in the time that I knew her. She explained to me that she had seen enough to know it was a waste of money, it would just be stolen by some government official. Make of it what you will, the article just reminded me of it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Illegals give Dems Power and Money

Bingo! There are an estimated 2.35 Million illegal aliens (not to be confused with total non-citizens which includes legal permanent residents) in California. Their presence alone accounts for 4 of California's 53 congressional districts. And, were they to leave or "helped" to leave, California Dems would lose even more seats as the state redistricting change would shift away from the high population centers to the sea of red that is "rural" California.

Even if not a single one of them voted (eyeroll), their presence accounts for approximately SIX of the Democrats 39 US Congress-critters. Federal dollars also flow with the population numbers. (Power and money, the "evil" combo, lol!)

Rinse and repeat for other Democrat bastions (states, counties and cities) with high numbers of illegals. It's just co-inky-dink that those are your sanctuaries.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Illegals Account for 17 Dem House Members

Simply by their presence, assuming that they don't cast a single vote (voting would make the numbers worse) 12.5 million illegals (estimated) out of our total population of 324 million means that illegals account for 435x(12.5M/324M) = 17 US Congress seats. Betting money has it that they are all Democrats, all the time, every time. :)

Just for comparison, there were only 21 "tossup" House elections in 2016. This is an existential issue for Democrats.

Can you hear me now?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...us-house-seats-have-any-competition/93295358/

ETA: I forgot to mention that each of those House seats also brings an Electoral College vote with it in the Presidential elections.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think this is true. I strongly suspect that at the top of the Democrat heap of ****, are people trying to take advantage of their constituents’ penchant for virtue-signaling, and then make illegal immigration into a virtue to all the useful idiots. It’s about power and holding onto it.

Top Bottom