• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree with one... deportation. If they're allowed to stay here, then you kinda have to provide a path to citizenship. If we catch and deport them, you'll have to explain to me why they should be given the advantage of a path to citizenship, in comparison to others who want in and haven't broken the law.
    Path to citizenship is for those that weren't caught. A way to get them out of the shadows so to speak.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Path to citizenship is for those that weren't caught. A way to get them out of the shadows so to speak.

I don't know about that. Sounds like an incentive not to get caught. If we're going to deport the ones caught, and reward those who evade, that doesn't sound like a coherent policy. If we're going to have a consistent policy, in my thinking we should either have an ongoing policy of departing people who aren't here legally, or we allow some kind of temporary status which would allow them to live here and apply for citizenship, and go through the process of naturalization. Also, I don't think we should have one policy for Hispanics entering the US from the Southern border, and a different policy for everyone else. If there's a deportation policy, it's the same policy for any nationality of illegal immigrants, no matter how they got here. If there is any special status given to people who are here illegally, it shouldn't be "special" to certain people. So I think for coherency, I'm leaning more to Kut's way.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    OEC - Mexico (MEX) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners

There is quite a bit of information here and even though it is at a relatively high level, I think there are more nuanced answers required than the grandilouquent simplifications above. The US economy is highly dependent on the Mexican economy and vice verse. Mexico is the 10th largest economy in the world. Trade barriers can cut both ways. Try pulling $200 billion of exports to Mexico out of the US economy and see what that does to employment, prices and the GNP multipliers.

The problem with the easy answers I'm hearing lately either seem to forget that things actually tend to be more difficult in reality and can often have repercussions which in the end can very well affect us in a negative way.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Easy answers come from the common person I am sure the "elites" will over complicate the situation.
    Possibility creating a new department of Interior of Alien affairs !
    The "path to citizenship" would have to be fair and not just target the Hispanic population.
    The overstaying of VIsas must stop way to many come in the country and stay with families and are never found again.
    Did you know that many illegals work in the US for years then go back to there home countries in order to draw social security!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yep. I think they got the ruling right. It should not matter what was said during the campaign. It should only matter what the order says. It can't be religious discrimination if it doesn't single out particular religions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So I'm curious - isn't the SCOTUS grafting language into the EO that it does not contain: this idea of "bona fide relationship"?

Trump travel ban injunction partly lifted by top US court - BBC News

I thought INGO didn't like judicial legislation (or, as in this case, executive-order-drafting). Or is it ok in this instance, because Trump?

I think the EO doesn't differentiate bona fide relationships vs not, so it seems legit to say what's not enforceable. That's really not the same thing as, say, John Roberts rewriting the principle component of Obamacare to be a tax, just to make it constitutional. I'd have been okay with Roberts saying that Obamacare, as written, is not constitutional unless the mandate penalty is specifically a tax.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Approaching legislation? I would say that it amounts to pulling s**t out of thin air.

Point taken. But pulling **** out of thin air and calling that the law, and having the power to do so IS legislation. Thankfully the ideologues on the SCOTUS's left bench even got that one right.

Top Bottom