• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My nit with it is that it could have been issued to the agencies involved under "confidential" to give them time to prepare.

It would have been illegally leaked, of course, but then the finger pointed at the leaker(s) for putting politics above potential harm to US citizens... because, so far, all of the leaks have accomplished EXACTLY that and emboldened our enemies.
    Now that you mention it, I'm not even sure this needed to be an EO. I mean, its the job of customs/immigration to do the necessary background checks. If certain criteria take longer than others, or cases are expedited based on other criteria, that's executive privilege.

Just change the policies, report the changes to congressional oversight whenever, and be done with it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Doesn't matter what version of the EO the Trump administration puts up. There are people that will seek to block it simply because they oppose ANY EO on the subject matter and they most certainly will be able to find a sympathetic ear from like minded members of the judiciary.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Doesn't matter what version of the EO the Trump administration puts up. There are people that will seek to block it simply because they oppose ANY EO on the subject matter and they most certainly will be able to find a sympathetic ear from like minded members of the judiciary.

Time to fast-track the Gorsuch nomination

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    New Trump travel ban can't be enforced on Syrian family trying to flee to Wisconsin, judge says | Fox News

I still don't understand how a judge can have any say over which potential immigrants can or cannot come into the country. But I'm not that smart...

Even the news story states that the wife is able to move about freely, traveling to Jordan for her Visa interview(s)... which tends to refute that she is in immediate danger if not allowed to immigrate here as she can currently freely emigrate away from the danger.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Time to fast-track the Gorsuch nomination

Yes...but assuming he's not part of the christian-compassion refugee-enablement community. Maybe I'm cynical, but it seems too many "Christian Conservative" types these days turn out to be heavy on the "Christian" part, but light on the "Conservative" part.

I still remember when Alberto Gonzalez was being considered for SC nomination, and some wag famously stated (fairly or unfairly) that "Gonzalez is Spanish for Souter."

I hope "Gorsuch" doesn't turn out to be German for "Roberts."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you want POTUS to be able to put his stamp on immigration and acceptance of refugees ... and have it hold up, you need a ninth justice on SCOTUS

Politics, like diplomacy, is the art of the possible

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you want POTUS to be able to put his stamp on immigration and acceptance of refugees ... and have it hold up, you need a ninth justice on SCOTUS

Politics, like diplomacy, is the art of the possible

Of course...I just hope Donald Trump has done his homework in vetting this guy. He would not be the first Republican President to put up an eminently-qualified jurist approbated by the Establishment as a good choice...only to find he wasn't.

Warren Rudman had famously boasted that he fooled John Sununu and Bush 1 into putting liberal David Souter onto the court. Judging from the selection process in choosing people like Rex Tillerson, I sure hope The Donald, in his new-ness to Washington, hasn't fallen under the influence of someone analogous to another Rudman in appointing Gorsuch.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I hear what you are saying, but I find these sorts of concern disheartening. Ideally we would pick a judge because he is not idealogical but has a record of interpreting the laws and the constitution as written, and is comfortable with the seperation of powers (Congress makes laws, judges rule on their constitutionality. Judges make no laws). I think if Trump could outfit the court with a few originalists much of this problem would take care of itself

That being said, I think the ability to subvert the constitution and the will of the people by controlling 5 or 6 spots on SCOTUS has been amply demonstrated and will remain a tempting target for the left and makes selection of more ideological judges understandable and
    forgivable. If we get a filibuster-proof senate in 2018, I would absolutely pack the court with Scalia-clones

ETA: Make that young Scalia-clones

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Heard a new term on NPR while doing some light listening in the car yesterday

"Unauthorized Immigrant" They just can't bring themselves to say illegal because it doesn't support the narrative that these people are somehow not border-jumping lawbreakers

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This argument against the Presidents new travel ban is crap.

The countries he is banning for ONLY 90 DAYS have been assessed as on the upsurge of terrorist activity and with little to no existing governmental controls.

For someone to argue that a state may be hurt financially due to a decline in tourism - OH WELL!:xmad: ANY limitation on travel or trade could hurt someone financially, so what? Are they arguing that we can't limit trade cause somebody might be hurt by it? Does that states revenue stream through trade, tourism, and exchanges students trump (no pun intended) that national interest in security? I think not.

Do I agree with President Trumps assessment of the effectiveness of this temporary ban? NO! Do I believe he is the one who should decide what measures to take? Yes. His ban is addressing a lot of intangible evidence about threat levels, who can say he is 100% wrong or right?

Maybe the courts would be happy if the White House just sued itself on every executive order? That way the courts could rule by fiat and we wouldn't need a president any more?

Regards,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I'm unenthusiastic about this round of litigation. It seems to more out of habit than principles.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Proposed funding for border wall, says Mulvaney:

FY2017: $1.5-billion
    FY2018: $2.6-billion

But says will take longer than 2 yrs to build.

Weren't the conservative (pardon the pun) estimates about $10B?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Weren't the conservative (pardon the pun) estimates about $10B?

Wait. Trump doubled the height a couple of times during the campaign, didn't he? Was the estimate for the all the doublings or the original height?

Top Bottom