• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I believe Germany has a policy in place where immigrants have to meet a financial standard too.
    There may be others too as a result of the past invasions.

I'll doubt that until proven otherwise. Certainly wasn't applied to the middle east immigrants over the last five years.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, this is SOP for European countries (in practice... let's ignore the desire for open borders)... and Trump is well within his right to limit immigration based on public capability to support it

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You will have to read a little of this for the proof. Germany upgraded the requirements when they were forced to by the invasion you speak of.

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration-residence-permit/immigration-germany/

Good to see it. Also, that immigrants must learn German. Wish the US had a similar requirement to learn English for better integration.
    That said, it still doesn't apply to the M.E. migrants. This is only for those coming in the front door, not the flood coming in the side door.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I would refer you to Enron, Purdue Pharma, and just about anyone involved in the Great Recession and ask you how holding any of the principals accountable is going. That is the danger of trying to penalize the people making the decisions on this within the US court system. It's analogous to illegal drugs, you'll get a few low level people but the heads of the 'cartels' just skate

Sorry for the delay in responding... had real-life stuff.

I think you mis-understand... the new enforcement would not be meant to be an "all encompassing" 100% solution... which as you note, normally fails.

It's to change the "norm" which right now is to wink-wink, nod-nod accept fake documents. It's everywhere and pervasive in certain industries, poultry processing for example. The shady operator type won't mind the legal fees and threats of 6 months in federal prison... the country club, president of local chamber of commerce types, not so much.

Change the norm and the enforcement resources can be focused on the repeat bad actors.

And the analogy would be Clinton/Reno threatening "red line" prosecutions which sent all the big banks running to find subprime mortgage debt to put on their balance sheets. The corporate sheep can be easily cowed.

You wouldn't even be able to prove execs knowingly and purposefully employed illegals unless you wrote that into the statute, and then that would be subject to court challenge. There will always be a lot of daylight between what we 'know' and what we can prove, and that's not a bad thing. Purdue Pharma's production of Oxycontin was 10X the amount of legitimate prescriptions for it. I 'know' they were merchants of death, but unless I can prove that they shouldn't be prosecuted for murder. All we can get them on is cooking the books, and settling and their company being bankrupt doesn't hurt their bank balances much but it does hurt a lot of people who were working for them. The states get more money to waste on programs, some of which adheres to sticky fingers, and the little people get screwed (again)

I won't defend Purdue Pharma as I don't know all of the details... but I do think, from what I do know, that Oxy DISTRIBUTORS that brought 10,000 pills per capita into small towns could, and probably should, likewise be prosecuted.

The bar for proving that they "knew" is high, but I think in both cases, that bar is met.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    On 5-4 vote, Supreme Court lets Trump administration start enforcing new immigrant wealth test, designed to screen out green card applicants seen as being at risk of becoming "public charges".
    I'm disappointed that even had to go to court. When I was applying for my visa my now-wife had to sign an affidavit that she earned above the minimum amount, and I was ineligible to receive public assistance for ten years.

I don't see the issue with asking immigrants to be able to support themselves. I understand that refugees who have had to flee will need more help in getting themselves established in their new country.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm disappointed that even had to go to court. When I was applying for my visa my now-wife had to sign an affidavit that she earned above the minimum amount, and I was ineligible to receive public assistance for ten years.

I don't see the issue with asking immigrants to be able to support themselves. I understand that refugees who have had to flee will need more help in getting themselves established in their new country.

But were you pregnant when you jumped over the wall?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

One of my parents is a naturalized citizen... and I agree. Not sure how this was not a 9-0 decision? Prohibitions about public charges becoming permanent residents are long-standing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Kids in cages"...

Singing "Born in the USA"...

I'm starting to think the halftime show was political.

EP3lcP8WoAIjHoh

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you start a brawl with them, likely the same results. The courts are the correct venue to determine what resistance is justified; but if you force the man on the spot to act, the justice you receive may be posthumous

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The courts have become unreliable as far as justice goes.

What makes you say that? I think they have been about as reliable as one could expect for the past 50 or so years. There are hiccups to be sure, but it's still the best and fairest system in the world.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What makes you say that? I think they have been about as reliable as one could expect for the past 50 or so years. There are hiccups to be sure, but it's still the best and fairest system in the world.

Oh, I agree it is the best and fairest system in the world.
    It is just that the hiccup rate is increasing. When a circuit court makes a questionable or controversial decision it is possibly reviewed by the supreme court. The 9th circus generates more of these cases than the other circuits. The 9th is a big circuit so that may account for some of it but there seems to be a trend for them to make unconstitutional decisions. They have a high turnover rate (not the highest) and this combined with their higher cases reviewed numbers makes them look bad.
    When a court generates that many rulings that end up being unconstitutional one has to question the 'justice' they provide.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, I agree it is the best and fairest system in the world.
    It is just that the hiccup rate is increasing. When a circuit court makes a questionable or controversial decision it is possibly reviewed by the supreme court. The 9th circus generates more of these cases than the other circuits. The 9th is a big circuit so that may account for some of it but there seems to be a trend for them to make unconstitutional decisions. They have a high turnover rate (not the highest) and this combined with their higher cases reviewed numbers makes them look bad.
    When a court generates that many rulings that end up being unconstitutional one has to question the 'justice' they provide.
    Eh. It’s probably the global warming.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom