• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/c...QbNqedLVSqWsYZjnzkWitcmRepbC14evn77nYgtVfL358

Court sides with President Trump in 'sanctuary cities' grant fight

As it should be. The feds can't force state (and local) governments to enforce federal law, but they don't have to give them money either.

On to SCOTUS where this opinion has a good chance to be the one which is upheld.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I agree, the right call.... and now a precedent is set. Should be interesting how this will be used when the other party has that tool at their disposal.

Federalism remains alive and kicking.

Well.

Teeny tiny kicks.

More like spasms.

Alive with occasional reflexive movements that present arguable proof of life.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how this was not a "slam dunk" and that the original judge's decision was not an abuse of power?

The grants in question REQUIRE state/local governments to be in compliance with 8 U.S.C. § 1373 to be eligible for the grant money. This is what congress approved and the president at the time signed, establishing the grant:

(a)In general
    Notwithstanding any other provision of Federal, State, or local law, a Federal, State, or local government entity or official may not prohibit, or in any way restrict, any government entity or official from sending to, or receiving from, the Immigration and Naturalization Service information regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual.

Restrict or prohibit providing immigration or citizenship status to the feds and you are not eligible for the money.

This isn't pen and phone making **** up as an all powerful executive branch, it's the law.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I agree, the right call.... and now a precedent is set. Should be interesting how this will be used when the other party has that tool at their disposal.

I would hope that at some point it gets people, whether liberal or conservative to want their state to threaten to keep the money it sends to the feds, assuming of course that they can get a reasonable state consensus on the matter. Force the issue: are the states anything more than convenient governance districts for the Feds to push where they will?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What money do you mean that the states send to the feds?
    Most of the money sent to the feds is sent by individuals as income tax and the states can't really get their hands on that.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Are illegals immunized from ID theft prosecution by lying on I-9?

Jurist: Supreme Court rules federal immigration law does not preempt state prosecution for identity theft
    https://www.jurist.org/news/2020/03...preempt-state-prosecution-for-identity-theft/

The three defendants in this case were illegal aliens who provided stolen ID information on their I-9, W-4 and K-4 (Kansas state withholding) forms. Kansas sought to prosecute them for lying on these three forms.

The state courts/appeals threw out the I-9 part... which is correct under statute as only the feds can prosecute I-9 violations. The IRCA explicitly says this, plus the I-9 is explicitly immigration law which is only the federal domain.

But a divided Kansas Supreme court went further and threw out the W-4 and K-4 ID theft convictions arguing that those, which are not covered by the IRCA, are implied because once the illegal lies on the I-9, they'll also "have to" repeat the same lies on the other forms.

The five "conservatives" on the SCOTUS overruled, stating that repeated ID theft is not covered by IRCA, that W-4 and state withholding have nothing to do with immigration, and the non-I9 convictions stand.

The 4 "progressive" justices dissented. Their dissent states that there is nothing in the statutes to support their position, i.e. what they want IS NOT WRITTEN INTO THE LAW, but it's "implied". Where would their logic end? Could the illegal then use the stolen identity with impugnity to obtain a false driver's license? False credit card, loans and bank accounts?

Crazy!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought this should be in "Are you kidding me?" thread.
    But, there is a political aspect to it.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...sault-of-girl-3-at-chicago-mcdonalds/2222839/
    Horrifying Allegations Revealed in Sexual Assault of Girl, 3, at Chicago McDonald’s

They don't seem to have much info, probably because they support the "Sanctuary City status".

So, I'll add..
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/man-r...-city-rules-sexually-assaults-3-year-old-ice/
    Man released under ‘sanctuary city’ rules sexually assaults 3-year-old: ICE

“The Chicago Police Department remains committed to protecting all Chicago residents regardless of their immigration status,” Chicago police said in a statement. “Our pledge to restrict ICE access to our information systems and our refusal to cooperate with ICE immigration enforcement measures has not changed.”
    Mayor Lori Lightfoot said ICE should “do their job better,” ABC said.
    “They’re critical because we have said very clearly we are a welcoming city, a sanctuary city,” Lightfoot said, according to the network. “Chicago Police Department will not cooperate with ICE on any immigration-related business.”

So, Mayor Lightfoot blames ICE, yet further adds that she will not cooperate with ICE.
    Uh?
    WTF?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Good news. I'm sure the reason is not entirely the fence, but it still looks like it is having a real effect on illegal border crossings.

New border wall blocks 90% of illegal crossings, up from just 10%

In the San Diego area, Scott said that the wall has essentially ended illegal crossings of humans and cars.

And, in an added benefit, it now requires 150 fewer border agents, a savings of $28 million in salaries and benefits
    As a result, drug cartels have changed tactics, building expensive tunnels and trying to sneak drugs in on vehicles passing through border entry points. But that isn’t effective, he said.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This guy was busy.

'Fake immigration attorney charged with filing hundreds of fraudulent asylum claims for migrants'

Prosecutors said Reyes owned and operated EHR Ministries Inc., while portraying himself as an immigration attorney (despite having never been a licensed attorney), pastor, accountant, immigration expert, former immigration officials, and former federal law enforcement officer.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fake-immigration-attorney-filing-fraudulent-asylum-claims-migrants

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Good news. I'm sure the reason is not entirely the fence, but it still looks like it is having a real effect on illegal border crossings.

New border wall blocks 90% of illegal crossings, up from just 10%
    I agree...

Some have made a lot of noise/criticized about the construction replacing existing fencing rather than being in completely new areas... but the two items below highlight what was replaced in high volume/high impact areas... this was the correct and wise first course.

190111200108-tijuana-border-fence-construction-0111-exlarge-169.jpg

A construction crew works to replace an old section of the U.S.-Mexico border fence on January 11, 2019, as seen from Tijuana, Mexico.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/politics/us-mexico-border-wall-numbers/index.html

From the article in quoted post:

Top Bottom