• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When your washing machine breaks, you're not left with many good choices...

When my last washing machine could no longer be fixed, it was 18 years old. I researched brands, rented a truck because I was outside the dealers delivery area, and bought a Speed Queen. I fully expect it to live almost as long as the other one and be repairable in many respects

You have a choice you can make earlier in the process, it seems quite clear to a Trumper. Stop buying poorly designed foreign made **** in order to save a few bucks. It's designed to be cheap to make, not cheap to own

Market forces will provide whatever the market demands. We should probably demand durable products and pride in workmanship from those who make them, and the CMs of the world will be happy to maintain quality repairable equipment for us if we give them something worth working on. In a way we really do need to go back to the 50s. How stupid is it to have a phone you can't replace the battery in? Do you really notice that it is 1mm thinner because of that?

Make sure you get what you like, otherwise you'll have to like what you get
    :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When my last washing machine could no longer be fixed, it was 18 years old. I researched brands, rented a truck because I was outside the dealers delivery area, and bought a Speed Queen. I fully expect it to live almost as long as the other one and be repairable in many respects

You have a choice you can make earlier in the process, it seems quite clear to a Trumper. Stop buying poorly designed foreign made **** in order to save a few bucks. It's designed to be cheap to make, not cheap to own

Gimme a break, Bug - you're getting caught in the weeds. The point is, tariffs and sales tax are regressive, and not fair in the eyes of some folks.

You do realize that many (most?) people just inherent the appliances that come with the home, right? And the brand of appliances is way, way down on that that trade study.

Plus, I bought my home four years ago, How the heck was I suppose to predict that a 20% tariff would occur when it needed replaced (or even predict when it would need replaced)? In December I could have bought a Speed Queen, but now that they're all 20% more expensive, I have to settle for an LG. For a lot of folks, available cash dictates what one can buy. The fact is, no matter what W&D you're buying, you're paying more, and that's solely because of one man (right or wrong, idk).

(FYI: this is an example, my w & d are fine)

Oh, FYI - my phone still flips. ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Gimme a break, Bug - you're getting caught in the weeds. The point is, tariffs and sales tax are regressive, and not fair in the eyes of some folks.

You do realize that many (most?) people just inherent the appliances that come with the home, right? And the brand of appliances is way, way down on that that trade study.

Plus, I bought my home four years ago, How the heck was I suppose to predict that a 20% tariff would occur when it needed replaced (or even predict when it would need replaced)? In December I could have bought a Speed Queen, but now that they're all 20% more expensive, I have to settle for an LG. For a lot of folks, available cash dictates what one can buy. The fact is, no matter what W&D you're buying, you're paying more, and that's solely because of one man (right or wrong, idk).

[This is not actually correct, except by extension. Your own article cited says domestic manufacturers have taken the opportunity to raise prices to match their overseas competitors. You can take that as unethical, but it isn't because Trump made them do it by placing tariffs on the Chinese. He gave them the opportunity, it is their own lack of ethics (or the years of beatdown by unethical foreign and domestic governments subsidizing low-cost competitors) that influenced whether they would avail themselves. How do you differentiate what you are paying now from what you should have been paying all along in the absence of Chinese mercantilism? In December you could have bought the S&P 500 at a 16% discount, what does that have to do with stock prices today?]

[Live in the future. It's just starting now :)]

(FYI: this is an example, my w & d are fine)

Oh, FYI - my phone still flips. ;)

You have my deepest sympathy. Does your computer monitor still have an electron gun?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When your washing machine breaks, you're not left with many good choices.

Fairness is a relative term; and equality is not the same as fair.

In one sense, income tax is more fair because it's not regressive like sales tax.

Because that would be highly regressive.

Why is a regressive tax "unfair"?

Why does rate matter to "fairness"?

Where should fairness apply? On the input or outcome?

Is it "fair" for someone who pays very little tax (not rate, dollars) because they're poor, but because they're poor, they consume orders of magnitude more government than they pay for?

People say it's unfair that Warren Buffet's secretary pays more tax than he does. Well, that's dishonest. People people conflate rate with quantity. Warren Buffet's secretary's cumulative salary income over her life won't be as much as Warren Buffet pays in taxes in a year.

I think you're making your argument based on just one aspect of fairness. You're only thinking of "fairness" in terms of outcome/equity fairness. Proportionality is also a type of fairness. You might also call it the law of Karma. You reap what you sow. You get what you give. The fairest tax in terms of proportionality would be that you pay tax according to how much government you consume.

That's just not very practical, because poor people could not afford all the government they consume, especially the ones who get some of their income from the government. But paying for what you consume is fair in the sense that you get what you give. So probably the best overall fairness would be a practical blend of the two.

I think a flat rate is acceptable, especially if there are no deductions. No exemptions. No special carve-outs. So that might put you out of business. But in terms of equity fairness, rich people would still pay way the **** more than poor people. And in terms of karma fairness, at least it's practical.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    IKR?

I'm just saying "fairness" is complex and somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

I advocate a balanced approach. Progressive tax is retarded. Absolute tax is impossible. VAT is probably too skewed towards proportional fairness such that equity fairness suffers. I think flat tax is the right balance. And it makes SJW heads explode so bonus points.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I advocate a balanced approach. Progressive tax is retarded. Absolute tax is impossible. VAT is probably too skewed towards proportional fairness such that equity fairness suffers. I think flat tax is the right balance. And it makes SJW heads explode so bonus points.

Sure it works. And your great-grandkids will likely have a penthouse view.

5ab3aaf728c41.image.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Couldn’t be the possibility of epidemic diseases illegally migrating toward our border. Nah, there’s no reason to try and control the flow.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [h=1]Mexican President Launches Savage Attack On Trump … Do You Have His 6?[/h]
    https://rightwingtribune.com/2019/06/02/mexican-president-launches/

Speaking on the proposed tariffs [FONT=&quot]Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said,[/FONT]
    “I’m not a cow*ard or timid, but act out of prin*ci*ples. I be*lieve in pol*i*tics which, among other things, was in*vented to avoid con*fronta*tion and war.”

I say, bring it.

Top Bottom