• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Apparently there is an easement along the border.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Reservation

Interesting, but not surprising, that there is zero MSM discussion of the Roosevelt Reservation in the discussion of land acquisition for the southern border wall. BUT, it is plainly called out in the border patrol plans for building such a wall, for example, in this April 2018 proposal.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Apr/Santa Teresa ESP final.pdf

Purposeful propagandizing a la Tass or merely incompetent? I dunno, but it is not a "good look" for those purporting to uncover and present the facts, and this is an immenently pertinent fact in that debate.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting, but not surprising, that there is zero MSM discussion of the Roosevelt Reservation in the discussion of land acquisition for the southern border wall. BUT, it is plainly called out in the border patrol plans for building such a wall, for example, in this April 2018 proposal.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Apr/Santa Teresa ESP final.pdf

Purposeful propagandizing a la Tass or merely incompetent? I dunno, but it is not a "good look" for those purporting to uncover and present the facts, and this is an immenently pertinent fact in that debate.

Maybe I need to say it again. The Roosevelt Reservation applied to California, Arizona, and New Mexico, and exempted privately owned landed. For those who don't understand what that means, "privately owned land," is property NOT owned by the government, held in private hands, meaning those owners are not subject to the Roosevelt Reservation. Further, California, Arizona, and New Mexico are each individual states along the Mexican border, however, they are not the only states that border Mexico. Texas, is also a state that borders Mexico, and obviously the Roosevelt Reservation does not apply to it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I will absolutely give Trump credit for something I never thought I'd see: Schumer and Pelosi actually came across as reasonable.

They still suck, but what they said at least superficially made sense. Plus, Trump managed to create a situation where they didn't overplay their hand. Its still pretty early, so that will still probably happen, but last night they struck a reasonable tone.

This 4D chess thing must include making your enemies more appealing, at least at a rhetorical level.

Like I said when this was announced, Trump delivered a watered down stump speech, lacking in emotion, and it didn't play well to the large audience. He didn't deliver anything new to show why there's a crisis now. And some of the stuff he said didn't even make sense.

Why do we care if Guatemalan refugees get assaulted in Mexico on their way to try to get here. No wall is going to convince them not to come. The only thing that will motivate that is to have a ****ty economy and lack of opportunity. I may be anti-Trump, but I don't think he wants to create THAT situation.

I think.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No someone said they thought there was a federal easement along the entire border. My example proved that to be incorrect.

From: http://wildernesswatch.org/pdf/Wilderness_Watch_Northern_Border_Paper.pdf

• Border with Canada. Similarly, President Taft withdrew 60 feet along the Canadian border in 1912 “from entry, settlement, or other form of appropriation and disposition under the public-land laws, and set apart as a public reservation” in order that “the customs and immigration laws of the United States can be better enforced and the public welfare thereby advanced by the retention in the Federal Government of complete control of the use and occupation of lands abutting on international boundary lines....” This action is now referred to as the “Taft Reservation.”5The Taft Reservation differs from the Roosevelt Reservation in one very important way. The 1907 Roosevelt Reservation along the border with Mexico withdrew the 60-foot strip from public land laws, but the Taft Reservation for the Canadian border did not. Moreover, by 1912 Congress or the President had established many national forests and national parks along the Northern Border and these reservations and protections were not repealed or affected by the Taft Reservation. The Taft Reservation did not reduce or replace the boundaries of federal land units, but only overlaid them. Therefore the laws and rules governing these forests and parks, including the subsequent designation by Congress of some of these areas as Wilderness, apply to all activities along the Northern Border, including those activities of the Border Patrol.

In a 2006 Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), DHS, the U.S. Department of Interior, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture declared that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (an agency within DHS) operation and construction within both 60-foot reservations “is consistent with the purpose of those reservations and that any CBP activity (including, but not limited to, operations and construction) within the sixty-foot reservations is outside the oversight or control of Federal land managers” such as the National Park Service or the U.S. Forest Service.6

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will absolutely give Trump credit for something I never thought I'd see: Schumer and Pelosi actually came across as reasonable.

They still suck, but what they said at least superficially made sense. Plus, Trump managed to create a situation where they didn't overplay their hand. Its still pretty early, so that will still probably happen, but last night they struck a reasonable tone.

This 4D chess thing must include making your enemies more appealing, at least at a rhetorical level.

Like I said when this was announced, Trump delivered a watered down stump speech, lacking in emotion, and it didn't play well to the large audience. He didn't deliver anything new to show why there's a crisis now. And some of the stuff he said didn't even make sense.

Why do we care if Guatemalan refugees get assaulted in Mexico on their way to try to get here. No wall is going to convince them not to come. The only thing that will motivate that is to have a ****ty economy and lack of opportunity. I may be anti-Trump, but I don't think he wants to create THAT situation.

I think.

Appearances are deceiving. "Reasonable" should not be based on a lie. For example, what Trump outlined as the problems we're having at the border IS NOT a manufactured crisis. The problems he outlined are essentially real. Yet the point of their rebuttal that appears to be the crux, is that it's fear-mongering and "manufactured". They did some things right though. It is reasonable for them to complain about the wall as a waste of money. They were wise to avoid calling "walls" immoral. It's reasonable enough to call Trump's demand a temper tantrum in the same way it was for Obama with his shutdown. Would have been nice if they'd have acknowledged that it was wrong for Obama to do that, and apologize for pressing their faces Obama's sack in devotional support the whole time.

Also, this did not appear to me to be anything resembling his stump speeches. So that's a pretty far stretch. His stump speeches are designed for the people who agree with him. This was more like a Reaganesque appeal to Americans to drum up support for his wall.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who gives a flying **** about federal easements? It seems to be more of an argument of who is technically right than an argument about anything substantive.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Appearances are deceiving. "Reasonable" should not be based on a lie. For example, what Trump outlined as the problems we're having at the border IS NOT a manufactured crisis. The problems he outlined are essentially real.

So, because this is INGO, I have to disagree with at least something, and it is the above.

The "crisis" part of this IS manufactured. There is nothing different since Trump's inauguration than what existed before, basically going all the way back to Jimmy Carter (off the top of my head, maybe even further back).

We have had illegal immigration for a long time. A small percentage of those are criminals, even violent criminals. But, they are not responsible for all crime. Heck, by some metrics, crime is being reduced.

The problems with immigration are real, and not new. A wall/fence, could be part of the solution, but it is not a solution in itself. Heck, it may not even be the most effective part of the solution. Mainly because it does nothing to address the illegal immigrants who are already here. THAT is the more difficult part of the solution.

Yet the point of their rebuttal that appears to be the crux, is that it's fear-mongering and "manufactured". They did some things right though. It is reasonable for them to complain about the wall as a waste of money. They were wise to avoid calling "walls" immoral. It's reasonable enough to call Trump's demand a temper tantrum in the same way it was for Obama with his shutdown. Would have been nice if they'd have acknowledged that it was wrong for Obama to do that, and apologize for pressing their faces Obama's sack in devotional support the whole time.
    I'm only including all this because I agree.

I do think Schumer missed a great opportunity to echo Reagan, with a riff of the "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." His speechwriters let him down on that.

Also, this did not appear to me to be anything resembling his stump speeches. So that's a pretty far stretch. His stump speeches are designed for the people who agree with him. This was more like a Reaganesque appeal to Americans to drum up support for his wall.

And in the spirit of sandwiching, I disagree. This hit the same points, even the same examples, as his various stump speeches, just with an absence of zeal. As I watched, this actually seemed designed for his base, not for anyone in the middle.

The part about how rich people have walls and fences? Who the heck is that going to appeal to? His base.

He couldn't care less about the people who disagree with him. He wants noise from his base.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/images/research/trproclamations/758.pdf

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_758

I would interpret what I have read so far to indicate that only property legally held prior to the proclamations might have any claim to primacy, with numerous parameters for adjudication that would affect the potential claim; but I lack sufficient information and knowledge of applicable law to assert more than that

I expect that since Arizona and New Mexico were both still territories at the time that the legal situation would be even more complicated, and my personal opinion is that you overestimate how many landholders might object to the building of the wall and thus how embroiled the whole thing would become in legal action. My personal experience is mostly concentrated along and near the Arizona border, and many land owners that I know would welcome a federal or military presence designed to interdict smugglers and sketchy people before they get to their lands. Anecdotally there have been several high profile (locally) killings and/or attacks on landowners and their family members close to the border.

Both proclamations specifically assert FedGov control over the 60 foot buffers. Might want to reread the referenced 2006 MoU

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Who gives a flying **** about federal easements? It seems to be more of an argument of who is technically right than an argument about anything substantive.
    ^^^ This, with a mix-and-match use of terminology and concepts.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Appearances are deceiving. "Reasonable" should not be based on a lie. For example, what Trump outlined as the problems we're having at the border IS NOT a manufactured crisis. The problems he outlined are essentially real. Yet the point of their rebuttal that appears to be the crux, is that it's fear-mongering and "manufactured". They did some things right though. It is reasonable for them to complain about the wall as a waste of money. They were wise to avoid calling "walls" immoral. It's reasonable enough to call Trump's demand a temper tantrum in the same way it was for Obama with his shutdown. Would have been nice if they'd have acknowledged that it was wrong for Obama to do that, and apologize for pressing their faces Obama's sack in devotional support the whole time.

When does a problem rise to a national emergency... especially when that problem/national emergency has been declining? Or better yet, at what point is a president able to unilaterally take action to solve it. This IS a manufactured crisis. Rather than letting one happen, and taking advantage of it, he decided to conjure up one of his own. If this "national emergency" was as pressing as the president is trying to tell us, why has he gone to congress, repeatedly, with his hands out, rather than acting on it himself?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom