• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Does open carrying a full size revolver,such as a k frame with a 3 inch barrel, seem like asking for attention?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Well I'm not particularly looking for it is just easier to carry open for my gun.

I think everyone at this point agrees that OC is easier.

The advantages of OC are many:
    1) easy to do
    2) more comfortable
    3) easier to draw/less chance of snags

There are only 3 disadvantages:
    1) You make yourself a target of 5 year old girls
    2) You make yourself a target of cops
    3) You could, potentially, perhaps, in some limited, specific scenario, make yourself a target of criminals.
    (listed in order of likelihood)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Depending on situation, OC could definitely complicate things(freak people out, get unwanted attention of a rookie cop, etc..). If you dont mind that, then theres no problem.
    I CC my Glock 23 everyday, and half the time Im printing, so I know its not gonna stop observant people from noticing, but it stops the freaking idiots from making my day any more complicated that it need be.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    JFC

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I think everyone at this point agrees that OC is easier.

The advantages of OC are many:
    1) easy to do
    2) more comfortable
    3) easier to draw/less chance of snags

There are only 3 disadvantages:
    1) You make yourself a target of 5 year old girls
    2) You make yourself a target of cops
    3) You could, potentially, perhaps, in some limited, specific scenario, make yourself a target of criminals.
    (listed in order of likelihood)

The only one of those 3 I have seen reported on here regularly is being hassled by cops. The others seem to be myths.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    I see both ends of it but for me it is concealed carry at work and in Indy. Less drama and less attention. Open carry in country and at the cabin. Rifle always nearby in the country and in the truck as where we are we are our own Police Force and Medical Team. What I really want is to carry a rifle ALL THE TIME, but that does draw a lot of attention.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    A friend of mine thinks he has a civil rights violation case against a local police department here in Indiana. A few months ago he was walking into a local Marsh while "Open Carrying" his firearm. Long story short: A Uniformed police officer leaving Marsh, detained him, asked him for his permit, he took offense to being asked questions, more police were called in making it a bigger deal then needed. He gave in, and showed the permit, and was not arrested.

Open carry in Indiana = Adequate probable cause to detain you in efforts to determine if you are licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Indiana.

Agree or Disagree?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Open carry in Indiana = Adequate probable cause to detain you in efforts to determine if you are licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Indiana.

Agree or Disagree?

They may detain you to determine if you are licensed to carry a handgun. If he'd been carrying a rifle or shotgun, it would be different.

Indiana's handgun carry infringement is crap compared to most states.

JaCobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Warsaw
    I heard a story at work about a guy getting kicked out of our license branch for open carry. It does draw more attention from others around you, which is why I personally believe it is better to carry concealed. In the instance of a robbery, for example, the robber has no clue you have a gun; whereas, if he sees you have a gun and he already has his drawn, you have already lost the element of surprise. The robber then has 2 options: make you hand it over, or kill you and then take it. Carrying concealed allows you to be able to draw while he's distracted with a cashier or what not. Your goal then should be to protect the innocent lives at stake, which has to be a judgement call on your end. Practice gun safety at all times and make sure the criminal is facing you if you have to shoot

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I heard a story at work about a guy getting kicked out of our license branch for open carry. It does draw more attention from others around you, which is why I personally believe it is better to carry concealed. In the instance of a robbery, for example, the robber has no clue you have a gun; whereas, if he sees you have a gun and he already has his drawn, you have already lost the element of surprise. The robber then has 2 options: make you hand it over, or kill you and then take it. Carrying concealed allows you to be able to draw while he's distracted with a cashier or what not. Your goal then should be to protect the innocent lives at stake, which has to be a judgement call on your end. Practice gun safety at all times and make sure the criminal is facing you if you have to shoot

I know you're new, but did you even read the first post in this thread before posting this response?

Some people just respond to the title without a clue that their points were already addressed years ago in that original essay on page 1.

But welcome to INGO. :)

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    No offense because I know you're new, but this is the most commonly made arguments and isn't true. Most robbers wouldn't even notice because they're too nervous as is. Of course, I wouldn't know but it's just my :twocents:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

You need to find a new water cooler at work to lean against.

If a "license branch" means a BMV in Indiana, you can't just be "kicked out" for carrying with a LTCH. I don't know of any privately owned BMV out there. They should be all state owned and run and there is no rule against legal carry there at all.

You Can't Be Told To Leave
    - Legally anyway. If he voluntarily left because of a convulsing soccer mom - Tell him that he's a Dumb Ass. :n00b:

When I Open Carry at the BMV, I'm always treated just like the other Cattle..........Mooo

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You need to find a new water cooler at work to lean against.

If a "license branch" means a BMV in Indiana, you can't just be "kicked out" for carrying with a LTCH. I don't know of any privately owned BMV out there. They should be all state owned and run and there is no rule against legal carry there at all.

You Can't Be Told To Leave
    - Legally anyway. If he voluntarily left because of a convulsing soccer mom - Tell him that he's a Dumb Ass. :n00b:

When I Open Carry at the BMV, I'm always treated just like the other Cattle..........Mooo
    Now that sounds about right except we're all sheep in the eyes of the government.:sheep:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My BMV branch is very friendly and efficient. They never complain about my gun openly carried. I think your friend is a big fat liar and a poppy head!

Be careful knocking this guys story down. What the law says and what people do are two different things. Keep in mind that probably 90% of the population, including BMV workers (and probably as much as 50% of LEOs) are ignorant of gun laws in Indiana. So, although illegal, it may have happened.

Truthfully, I myself am not 100% knowledgeable on all the laws regarding guns and carry in Indiana. Although I am doing my best to learn them.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Be careful knocking this guys story down. What the law says and what people do are two different things. Keep in mind that probably 90% of the population, including BMV workers (and probably as much as 50% of LEOs) are ignorant of gun laws in Indiana. So, although illegal, it may have happened.

Truthfully, I myself am not 100% knowledgeable on all the laws regarding guns and carry in Indiana. Although I am doing my best to learn them.

I can see my implied purple isn't functioning very well.:cool:

Top Bottom