Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Don't forget IMPD has new policy that they are not to bother people OC unless they are actually doing something wrong

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305011-impd-oc-legal-updates.html
    I'll believe when I see it....or rather when I don't see anymore "IMPD stopped me because I was OCing" threads. I still think the legality issue will give the LEO all the room he needs to "violate" the policy with impunity. Any officer who felt it was his moral and lawfully-obligated duty to utilize his power and authority to remind the serfs that OCing isn't a good idea will still do so.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'll believe when I see it....or rather when I don't see anymore "IMPD stopped me because I was OCing" threads. I still think the legality issue will give the LEO all the room he needs to "violate" the policy with impunity. Any officer who felt it was his moral and lawfully-obligated duty to utilize his power and authority to remind the serfs that OCing isn't a good idea will still do so.

Cuz they're looking out for us.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I heard a story at work about a guy getting kicked out of our license branch for open carry. It does draw more attention from others around you, which is why I personally believe it is better to carry concealed. In the instance of a robbery, for example, the robber has no clue you have a gun; whereas, if he sees you have a gun and he already has his drawn, you have already lost the element of surprise. The robber then has 2 options: make you hand it over, or kill you and then take it. Carrying concealed allows you to be able to draw while he's distracted with a cashier or what not. Your goal then should be to protect the innocent lives at stake, which has to be a judgement call on your end. Practice gun safety at all times and make sure the criminal is facing you if you have to shoot

Don't worry guys, I -repped him.

Dixiethunder24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Franklin
    Unless he defines which is more important, doing what he set out for, or not being the victim of a violent crime. The rest of his essay is pointless.

If I set out to have lunch with my wife while she's at work, and I choose to open carry. I, and possibly she, are unlikely to have a good time.

*Shrug* The rest of the discussion has been had at least a dozen times since June '08

And in addition he says "To that end I carry a firearm whenever I go out as well as follow all the other standard safety practices like maintaining situational awareness, staying out of high crime areas, and avoiding confrontation."

I feel like OC'ing is more likely to bring on more confrontation's by the un-educated public than a true violent confrontation that he's probably talking about. I'd rather avoid both kinds. Just trying to educate someone on the facts often seems as you just pushing your views on them. :rolleyes:

However there were some points in the post that I never quite thought about in that way so I found it rather interesting. But I agree that it's a comfort level and personal choice. I think for now though I'll keep CC'ing :):

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...However there were some points in the post that I never quite thought about in that way so I found it rather interesting. But I agree that it's a comfort level and personal choice. I think for now though I'll keep CC'ing :):

Welcome to INGO and congrats on actually reading and considering the essay and discussion prior to commenting. :):

Carry on!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I feel like OC'ing is more likely to bring on more confrontation's by the un-educated public than a true violent confrontation that he's probably talking about. I'd rather avoid both kinds. Just trying to educate someone on the facts often seems as you just pushing your views on them. :rolleyes:

However there were some points in the post that I never quite thought about in that way so I found it rather interesting. But I agree that it's a comfort level and personal choice. I think for now though I'll keep CC'ing :):
    How is stating a fact pushing a view? A view is more akin to an opinion. A fact is, well, a fact.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How is stating a fact pushing a view? A view is more akin to an opinion. A fact is, well, a fact.

To a person without the facts, or more generally, with incorrect "facts", it certainly may seem that your position is just an opinion.

Being flat wrong has very little impact upon one's personal perception these days.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im sorry, I missed the facts in this thread. Maybe Im just having trouble sorting them from the biased suggestions.

How bout we let everyone carry how they want to, and keep our opinions about the method we dont like, to ourselves.

Its fine to talk about the pros and cons, to help others educate themselves, and pick their method, But once you start spouting BS, your no longer being helpful to anyone.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Wow, amazing, imagine that. Someone posts an attempt at diplomacy, and its immidietely thrown back at him. Hmmm.. I wonder why this thread is 200 pages long...

Yes I read the first page. I actually read them all along time ago. Its not about sides, the TRUTH is, there are no sides, thats called freedom.

In the end, Its a minority of OCers who rip on CCers, and a minority vice versa.

Some of you people need to find something to do with your time.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Wow, amazing, imagine that. Someone posts an attempt at diplomacy, and its immidietely thrown back at him. Hmmm.. I wonder why this thread is 200 pages long...

Yes I read the first page. I actually read them all along time ago. Its not about sides, the TRUTH is, there are no sides, thats called freedom.

In the end, Its a minority of OCers who rip on CCers, and a minority vice versa.

I open carry with my time.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm just scared to oc because my dad has this stupid a$$ philosophy that even though he bought me my permit for my birthday, I'm no allowed to carry because it'll somehow jump out of my holster and start shooting magically.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Nobody says you have to carry at all. If you decide to, its up to you how you carry. Try it out, ITS LEGAL!! So, if you dont like it, go back to CC. Its pretty simple.
    My dad and I have very different opinions on carry. But hes responsible for him, and Im responsible for me.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I wonder why this thread is 200 pages long...

I dunno, :scratch: maybe some people enjoy arguing?

I like to argue with my time.

How bout we let everyone argue how they want to, and keep our opinions about the argument threads we don't like, to ourselves. ;)

Top Bottom