• ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im not sure on that myself..

Personally, I think neither method makes you any more or less safe than the other.

As its been coined... JFC

Woodland001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I opened carried for years as an armor truck driver. I had just got off work(in full uniform with my ID badges and everything) went into a gas station grabbed a drink got in my car got about 1/2 a mile down the street and a cop pulled me over told me to get out of the car and took my gun out of the holster, took it all apart put it in an envelope handed it to me and told me to sit in my car while he ran my licenses. The lady that works at the gas station called the police because I had my pistol on my side! He came back and told me "you probably shouldn't carry my pistol like that." Walked away got in his car and drove off. I always carry concealed since then just to avoid harassment from law enforcement. Funny thing is by the time he ran my license I had already put my pistol back together and had it back in its holster :-P

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I always carry concealed since then just to avoid harassment from law enforcement...

Perhaps if you'd made a complaint, it would have been the officer who changed their behavior.

If such harassment is allowed without consequence, we'll just see more of it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I opened carried for years as an armor truck driver. I had just got off work(in full uniform with my ID badges and everything) went into a gas station grabbed a drink got in my car got about 1/2 a mile down the street and a cop pulled me over told me to get out of the car and took my gun out of the holster, took it all apart put it in an envelope handed it to me and told me to sit in my car while he ran my licenses. The lady that works at the gas station called the police because I had my pistol on my side! He came back and told me "you probably shouldn't carry my pistol like that." Walked away got in his car and drove off. I always carry concealed since then just to avoid harassment from law enforcement. Funny thing is by the time he ran my license I had already put my pistol back together and had it back in its holster :-P
    What kind of pistol? I presume it couldn't have possibly been stripped down further than a standard field strip.

Even if my 1911 got fully disassembled, I can have it back together in a minute or two.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm sure it's been discussed over and over but I just don't get it. Well I get the reason for those against OC and those for it, but that's not what I don't get.

If the law trumps all, and an Indiana LTCH neither specifies OC nor CC, why must we have to differentiate and make a choice. If we're carrying under a jacket, why should we have to worry about printing. It's legal to carry with the LTCH regardless. Why does an LEO have to get all hyped up and reprimanding even after a license check?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm sure it's been discussed over and over but I just don't get it. Well I get the reason for those against OC and those for it, but that's not what I don't get.

If the law trumps all, and an Indiana LTCH neither specifies OC nor CC, why must we have to differentiate and make a choice. If we're carrying under a jacket, why should we have to worry about printing. It's legal to carry with the LTCH regardless. Why does an LEO have to get all hyped up and reprimanding even after a license check?

I personally think most officers are professionals.
    But there are some (as in every profession) that do not know their job half as well as they think they know their job.
    They enforce the law they THINK is in place.
    Or they just don't care.
    Every profession has them, it's not a police phenomena.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Why argue? This is America....for the most part...barring a few "select" states. Carry how you want, what you want, and as many as you want.....as long as it's legal. :D There...argument settled.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This entire thing seems to come down to two types of people, in this case, two subsets within the OC community.

Those that do because they can, and believe they shouldn't be hassled for it (I belong to this subset. Legal is legal, etc.)

Those that don't to avoid being hassled... and believe others should be a "Gray man" and not carry an AR down the sidewalk "because they can."

/shrug. I don't know what the difference between these two are. I'd be curious to know if age is a factor, or perhaps lifestyle, personal income, upbringing, or general personality traits.

Just picking this up from the countless other threads all arguing the same thing in the past day or so.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    This entire thing seems to come down to two types of people, in this case, two subsets within the OC community.

Those that do because they can, and believe they shouldn't be hassled for it (I belong to this subset. Legal is legal, etc.)

Those that don't to avoid being hassled... and believe others should be a "Gray man" and not carry an AR down the sidewalk "because they can."

/shrug. I don't know what the difference between these two are. I'd be curious to know if age is a factor, or perhaps lifestyle, personal income, upbringing, or general personality traits.

Just picking this up from the countless other threads all arguing the same thing in the past day or so.
    Some go through life doing everything they can not to make waves, not to ruffle feathers, and to please everybody else...

Others go through life worrying about themselves and those they care about - and they don't pay so much attention to whether third parties are offended by them or their actions.

I tend not to worry so much about what others think and, as such, I have absolutely no issues OCing. I don't do it to make a point - I do it because it's the most comfortable form of carry for me and it's 100% legal. I really don't care if somebody is offended by my choice of carry - that's their problem, not mine.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Some go through life doing everything they can not to make waves, not to ruffle feathers, and to please everybody else....

I was with the first part of your post, i try not to make waves - to a point. I will probably never OC because when I go to the grocery store, the most eventful experience I want to have is checking out at the register.

I don't want to explain gun laws to the ignorant, i dont want to ask a LEO if i am being detained, i want to get my food and go home.

I take issue with you saying people just want to please everybody else, Its not that i want to please everybody else, I just want to be left alone.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was with the first part of your post, i try not to make waves - to a point. I will probably never OC because when I go to the grocery store, the most eventful experience I want to have is checking out at the register.

I don't want to explain gun laws to the ignorant, i dont want to ask a LEO if i am being detained, i want to get my food and go home.

I take issue with you saying people just want to please everybody else, Its not that i want to please everybody else, I just want to be left alone.

the thing about this though... I've been VERY OC, I mean absolutely everywhere, for a good 4 years or so. I don't have these negative encounters you mention but once every few months... and to be honest, they usually turn out to be positive. Most people just compliment me.

I've had a couple of small encounters with police that involved all of them not knowing laws... but in that case, you have to know you're always in the right.

I guess I like those encounters, even the negative ones. They're something to learn from, or educate others to help the cause.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As with any generalization - it's not going to be a perfect fit 100% of the time or it wouldn't be a generalization.

You're welcome to take issue with it, that's your opinion. I never stated it was law and there were no exceptions :).

the thing about this though... I've been VERY OC, I mean absolutely everywhere, for a good 4 years or so. I don't have these negative encounters you mention but once every few months... and to be honest, they usually turn out to be positive. Most people just compliment me.
    I've had people make comments, ask me if I was an officer, and a few other simple encounters but nothing I would consider negative. I think what I get most often is, "Is that real?"

The most negative I can think of is that I was walking into the Best Buy in Greenwood and had a guy in a lifted pickup truck as he rolled by yell "Put that gun away!" He never stopped, I never saw his face, I didn't respond and just kept on walking into the store and minding my own business.

I've had a couple of small encounters with police that involved all of them not knowing laws... but in that case, you have to know you're always in the right.
    Simply knowing your rights and asserting them should be good enough most of the time.

I guess I like those encounters, even the negative ones. They're something to learn from, or educate others to help the cause.
    I would say I enjoy any sort of encounter regardless of whether it's related to a firearm or not - I enjoy interacting with people... None of this has to do with my choice to OC or CC though :).

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I don't have these negative encounters you mention but once every few months... and to be honest, they usually turn out to be positive. Most people just compliment me.

1xevery few months = 4 times per year

4 times per year x 4 years carrying = 16 negative encounters with the public. 1 is too much for me. Now i realize you weren't being literal, but Im just not a fan of confrontation (outside of ingo of course!)

Diffrent strokes though, if you wanna OC, more power to you, just not my thing...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If someone tries to argue... [STRIKE]I open carry elsewhere..[/STRIKE]

I prefer to crush their weaker points and then make a mockery of their shattered position by suggesting several better points they've probably never even thought of (which are also countered with relative ease).

When they've finally had enough, their puny egos beaten, whimpering and bruised, I like to tell them that I support their right to carry however they see fit and wish them a nice day.

:evilangel:

Top Bottom