• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hard to draw any kind of real analysis there given the relatively tiny number of people who are attacked to begin with and the even tinier subset who have a weapon period...and then the significantly smaller portion of those that OC (I don't have the numbers but given the laws in most states I'm guessing CC'ers outnumber OC'ers a hundredfold or more).

You needn't infer a conclusion from the data available but neither should you dismiss it as unreal or even hard analysis.

How many OCing citizens do you hear about being attacked on the news in the last few years. How many CCers? How many unarmed? Do those match the percentages of the people that carry or don't carry in that area, or do only two of the numbers match their relative percentage while one group is victimized at a much lower rate than even their relatively smaller subgroup size would suggest?

You know the media would love to paste it in the headlines, so I doubt underreporting is to blame.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ^^ agreed. A pretty rare thing.

Why doesn't everyone agree there are too many variables for one answer. It's a completely opinion based style of carry. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

Thanks to all that contributed. /thread

:)

There is no right or wrong answer, but there are strong and weak opinions, supported and unsupported reasons, myths and facts to consider upon which people attempt to base and develop their own personal answers, strategies and practices.

Having these conversations is healthy even for the readers who don't join in.

Thanks for your contribution. /continuethread

:)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    So there aren't ANY drawbacks to OC'ing either? Of course there are trade-offs with both, I'm going with the ones that I think are the most likely to be favorable to me based on my personal habits.

Also, no I haven't ever grabbed any shirt, but sure I suppose there's a chance. Things can go wrong with an OC draw as well, it depends on training habits. Heck I bet a lot of people who don't bother to drill very often would end up dropping their gun if they even remembered to reach for it.

I never sais there weren't drawbacks, you have to weight them in regards to each other. For me the bonus of OC out weighs any potential drawback.

In reality the ONLY potential advantage (tactically) of CC is if you are spared from attack until you can deploy your weapon. As your videos have shown the attackers will likley already have their weapons drawn so you will not outdraw them.

The other main advantage is that the public at large is unaware you have a weapon. They do it to avoid conflict or because they don't like talking to strangers.

I LIKE to talk to strangers about guns and I like to show normal everyday people that normal guys carry guns around them everyday and nothing bad happens.

My issue with CCers is they always seem to pop up in OC threads talking about how they would always CC...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I never sais there weren't drawbacks, you have to weight them in regards to each other. For me the bonus of OC out weighs any potential drawback.

In reality the ONLY potential advantage (tactically) of CC is if you are spared from attack until you can deploy your weapon. As your videos have shown the attackers will likley already have their weapons drawn so you will not outdraw them.

The other main advantage is that the public at large is unaware you have a weapon. They do it to avoid conflict or because they don't like talking to strangers.

I LIKE to talk to strangers about guns and I like to show normal everyday people that normal guys carry guns around them everyday and nothing bad happens.

My issue with CCers is they always seem to pop up in OC threads talking about how they would always CC...

Same here.

I was just thanked on Friday by a guy when I was out to dinner. He said more people need to OC.

This is the "Open Carry Argument." Not "I only Conceal Carry." It's a discussion on why we open carry.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Although you are technically correct, the word "Argument" in the thread title is just begging people to Argue one side AND the other.

Argument, debate, discussion - all welcome in this thread.

These imply that the thoughts, reasoning and support for carry method decisions will eventually surface through a back and forth process, but the posts that stop at how that person prefers to carry are generally useless and point to the fact that they responded to the title rather than the subject matter of the thread.

meh.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Argument, debate, discussion - all welcome in this thread.

These imply that the thoughts, reasoning and support for carry method decisions will eventually surface through a back and forth process, but the posts that stop at how that person prefers to carry are generally useless and point to the fact that they responded to the title rather than the subject matter of the thread.

meh.

Perhaps the thread should have been called "Open Carry Justifications and Rebuttals."

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You needn't infer a conclusion from the data available but neither should you dismiss it as unreal or even hard analysis.

How many OCing citizens do you hear about being attacked on the news in the last few years.
    How many CCers? How many unarmed? Do those match the percentages of the people that carry or don't carry in that area, or do only two of the numbers match their relative percentage while one group is victimized at a much lower rate than even their relatively smaller subgroup size would suggest?

You know the media would love to paste it in the headlines, so I doubt underreporting is to blame.

I heard about an incident at the Evansville Zoo :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I apologize if this is not the place for this question/request, but whenever I encounter the open carry "conversation", I think about those Youtube stars out to protect our rights by educating the police, oh-so politely about what they can and can't do.

Question- When the stories of these "encounters" are told, has one ever ended with: "...and the the jury awarded me $xxx because my Constitutional rights had been violated." or

"...and then the Judge thanked me for helping educate the police officers."

Curious.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I apologize if this is not the place for this question/request, but whenever I encounter the open carry "conversation", I think about those Youtube stars out to protect our rights by educating the police, oh-so politely about what they can and can't do.

Question- When the stories of these "encounters" are told, has one ever ended with: "...and the the jury awarded me $xxx because my Constitutional rights had been violated." or

"...and then the Judge thanked me for helping educate the police officers."

Curious.

Just wait. Those cases are going through Indiana court of appeals right now.

downey151

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    I know this has been said, but thank you for taking the time to post this. Although I still carry concealed, I know that there is added value in open-carry's deterrent factor. My question has always been "will it make you an immediate target in certain situations?" For example, a gas station or store robbery, where you may have gone unnoticed and simply forced to the ground with the other "harmless" witnesses... Would you invite fire and make the situation worse by adding fear and panic to an assailant's already amped psyche? Just food for thought and certainly one of many situations I hope to never actually encounter.

Top Bottom