• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That's just ridiculous. Of course it is. But if it's easier to just insist that it isn't, that's fine. The fact that even some people disagree with you should show you that at least some people find firearms to be a threat.

The only people who find firearms to be inherently threatening are criminals and the government (in some ways, I repeat myself).

Otherwise, if you find the mere sight of a holstered firearm to be threatening, then you might be more comfortable on an Everytown or Bullying Mommies forum, rather than INGO.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The only people who find firearms to be inherently threatening are criminals and the government (in some ways, I repeat myself).

Otherwise, if you find the mere sight of a holstered firearm to be threatening, then you might be more comfortable on an Everytown or Bullying Mommies forum, rather than INGO.

Truth. All a holstered firearm says is that the person carrying it is prepared to use it if necessary. If you don't intend that person any harm, why would you be worried? This liberal media / Hollywood attitude just amazes me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Truth. All a holstered firearm says is that the person carrying it is prepared to use it if necessary. If you don't intend that person any harm, why would you be worried? This liberal media / Hollywood attitude just amazes me.

Doesn't it, though?

Actual criminals, by a large margin (90%+) prefer to use concealed handguns in the commission of their crime. (And the rest, I may reasonably speculate, "open carry" in their waistband or some other means intended to further their "street cred" - rather than properly holstered.)

If one sees a stranger openly carried a holstered firearm, there is a near 100% probability that said person is among the most law-abiding of all people. There is absolutely nothing to fear at such a sight.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I thought it interesting that between the two posters they have less than 100 posts and less that 6 months on INGO.

That is why I said to stick around.

I didn't know everything when I joined.....

I still don't.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it has been arrived at through their experience and study. I don't have a problem with folk who believe they are right. Otherwise I would have a hard time with myself. (sometimes I do)

When i first joined INGO I had studied mostly Ayoob. He advocated concealed carry and I believed he knew a lot more than I did. I also thought (mistakenly) that Indiana had a Concealed Carry Permit.

It didn't take me long to be "set straight" that we have a License to Carry Handgun.

As for OC, I was relieved when I learned that IC is silent on how to carry.

It is much more comfortable for me to carry OWB

Being concerned that my cover garment would open and someone would see it was a burden.

I do OC to intimidate ne'er do wells to reconsider their course.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not conceal them. Confiscate them only government should have something that can cause such mass devastation.

Barry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Well, I finally sat down and read the essay in the OP. I have to admit that I've been a CC snob. I have OCd in KY way back before they had a CC permit and I was very uncomfortable, but my discomfort was based on my PRESUMPTION of the reason behind the looks I was getting rather than on any discussion with those paying so much attention to me. I was ignorant and had heard a lot of the same arguments that the author addressed in the essay. I have to say that it gave me a lot to think about....

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, I finally sat down and read the essay in the OP. I have to admit that I've been a CC snob. I have OCd in KY way back before they had a CC permit and I was very uncomfortable, but my discomfort was based on my PRESUMPTION of the reason behind the looks I was getting rather than on any discussion with those paying so much attention to me. I was ignorant and had heard a lot of the same arguments that the author addressed in the essay. I have to say that it gave me a lot to think about....

Good to see someone read and comprehend the information, instead of coming in to the thread simply to bash someone else's choice without taking the time to read the info first... :yesway:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Have to agree with pretty much all of this, and I would add that open carry seems more about intimidation than anything else.

Can't say I'm usually intimidated by OC, but there was a time when I saw this beautiful stainless number in a gorgeous leather holster..oh, wait, that's envy, never mind.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm a CC snob too... but to each their own.

Top Bottom