The OFFICIAL Trump/HRC/2016 General Election Thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would you say the converse of this is true? It's not Trump's job to get the down ballot candidates elected?

What is the role of the Republican party in getting it's members elected?

What is the role of each Republican party member in getting the party's nominees elected?

Nope. It's each candidates job to win. It's absolutely not the presidential nominee's place to sabotage people in his own party because they aren't a fan of him

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'll answer this: No. (BTW, electing Trump isn't "what's best for this country" either.)

But, this is where the lack of consistent principles by many Trump supporters is revealed. If HRC getting elected is bad, getting HRC elected with a Dem majority in the legislative branch is worse. That's a principle. Heck, that's the primary principle driving me to vote this year.

And yet, many Trump supporters are publicly disavowing the only candidates standing in the way of the Dem/HRC majority. Is that principled? Is that what's best for the country?

Fair to ask INGO Trump supporters where they stand on the more local elections. Especially those claiming to act in a principled way.

:)

I didn't follow this part.

The bolded portion I read as one conclusion followed by another conclusion using the first as a premise.
    We agree that HRC getting elected is bad. One conclusion
    We agree that HRC getting elected with a Dem majority in the legislative branch is worse. A second conclusion.

I do not see a principle referenced.

That is why I wrote the following:

In your first sentence I see conclusions not principles. That doesn't mean they are not present. I can agree with the first conclusion. I can agree with the second conclusion. I don't see where the first condition provides sufficiency for the second.

I think I followed this.

Here in Indiana, in the presidential context, the most important down ballot vote is for Senate. All of us in Indiana can vote in that race. To disavow Young, yet vote for Trump, is unprincipled, IMHO. At least, I can't think of a principled reason to support such a split.

I am open to being persuaded, though.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves though. Has Young disavowed Trump? Have INGO Trump supporters suggested disavowing Todd Young? Has Trump commented on or disavowed Todd Young? If not i don't see the relevancy.

What I have seen is a reaction mostly again party leadership and the old guard of the GOP if you will. John McCain, Paul Ryan etc.

Yet, you retain the same principles for each election, right? What are your priorities?

I will also say that, as a practical matter, the way our federal system is arranged, that is a dangerous paradigm. Senate/congressional elections matter greatly as linked to the presidential election.

I look at each race as independent choice. Was that how you understood what I wrote? If so, then you can further explain why that is dangerous because I don't see it.

Just as clarification. The basic desires I have for each candidate don't change from race to race, but I am certainly not going to vote for an R if a D more closely represents what I believe to be the best choice. I would argue that is the more dangerous paradigm. If may be that more candidates I vote for have the same letter behind the name but that is simply an outcome of my choice and not an input to be considered in making the choice itself.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Our county Republican chair left the party and started a Libertarian party in the county.

He gave up on the Republicans being small government.

Small government doesn't offer enough to the corrupt and power-hungry.

Welcome to Montgomery County :)

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Not only that, they're trying to delude us into thinking they'll stop hillary when they have done nothing to stop obama.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... can't get fooled again.

If the Repubican party wanted to prove their value under Obama, then they should have set an agenda and passed legislation forcing Obama's hand and made him exercise his veto authority so the American people would know exactly where the Republican party stood on the issues. Sure it would have produced deadlock but we have that anyway.

What we don't have is a clear, consistent, principled Republican counter message to the Obama and now Clinton agendas demonstrated in the legislative process.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nope. It's each candidates job to win. It's absolutely not the presidential nominee's place to sabotage people in his own party because they aren't a fan of him

Is it his own party? I seem to recall you arguing that he was a stealth Democ Rat

Is it the place of people in 'his own party' to sabotage the up ballot candidate(s) because they aren't a fan of him?

Something Goose something something Gander

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The Republican party isn't 200 years old yet.

I think this might go to the heart of it.

Imagine we're both inspectors - you think it's a loss and want Trump Construction to raze and rebuild, I think your estimates are overblown and wanted Kasich Konstruction to remodel (think of Norm on This Old House).

Now I'm stuck - Trump is going to bulldoze this elegant 200 year old landmark, but Hillary wants to build another four floors onto the old timber frame! Either way it's coming down...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So each candidate is in essence really an independent operator?

Should any one candidate sabotage any other candidate in the same party?

What is sabotage? Disagreement? Endorsing then non endorsing?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The GOP is exploding as we speak.

HRC will eliminate opposition though executive order. (BHO set the tone for this with the phone and pen comments)

In history GWB will be the last GOP president.

The new government will have a name for the movement like the awakening or something along those lines.

Fourms like this will not exist it would be considered unsafe speech.

I know many believe this won't happen they are judging this on the past this is not normal.

Our enemies in the world will seize on this and who will come to help?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The house has a concrete foundation but it's termite infested.

The "termites" have names. Which ones should be eliminated? They come from districts and states and appointing authorities. Which ones would you get rid of?

Harry Reid? Not our decision. He keeps getting elected the same way Lugar was. And basically the same way HRC or Trump will be. Because the people want it.

Whether the rest of want them doesn't matter. We don't get a vote for them. Literally.

The congressional hearings with the FBI opened my eyes to just how badly things need fixing, but those people aren't going to peacefully leave no more than termites are going to go away by asking them. They need forcible booted to the curb.
    It just has to do with how poorly government is set up to fix things when it's completely infested with corruption. Unless you're going to tell me congress has the authority to go person by person in government office, firing them, without getting roadblocked at every turn by the corrupt elements throwing buckets of money at people to save their behind.
    See, this is the revealing part to me: the issue you have isn't with the people involved. It is the constitution. You have a problem with the constitution and how it is implemented.

The frustrations Trump rode to primary victory are the same generational frustrations with our system that have been exhibited from the beginning.

Ultimately, it has nothing to do with termites or infestation. As you said, it has to do with how the government is set up.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think we are getting ahead of ourselves though. Has Young disavowed Trump? Have INGO Trump supporters suggested disavowing Todd Young? Has Trump commented on or disavowed Todd Young? If not i don't see the relevancy.

Your first 2 questions are irrelevant if the principle at issue is not empowering HRC. Trump supporters argue that non-Trump supporters are clandestinely (or explicitly) supporting HRC by not supporting Trump. For that principle to be consistently applied, a Trump supporter making that argument would be compelled to support every Republican.

What I have seen is a reaction mostly again party leadership and the old guard of the GOP if you will. John McCain, Paul Ryan etc.
    Which, efforts to defeat them would create common cause with HRC, no?

I look at each race as independent choice. Was that how you understood what I wrote? If so, then you can further explain why that is dangerous because I don't see it.

Just as clarification. The basic desires I have for each candidate don't change from race to race, but I am certainly not going to vote for an R if a D more closely represents what I believe to be the best choice. I would argue that is the more dangerous paradigm. If may be that more candidates I vote for have the same letter behind the name but that is simply an outcome of my choice and not an input to be considered in making the choice itself.

So when voting for Senate, is a factor that you consider whether the person is of the same party as your vote for POTUS? Or of the same party as the person you expect to be elected POTUS?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh but vice versa is okay? What goes around shouldn't come around?

There's a difference between, "we're done with you" and "I'm going to do everything I can to destroy you." Trump could take the high road and say, "I sorry for that loss of support, but I'll do just fine without the GOPe." Since many Trump supporters despise the GOPe, this breakup should be welcome.

But hey, why do that when the low road suits him so well.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The more I think about Trump's behavior like the Twitter tirade, the more he scares me.

I've never seriously considered voting for him, but my "gun to head, Trump or Hillary, no value in martyrdom" was: Trump

Now I'm not so sure. Can you imagine our president behaving like that when someone offends them, particularly a foreign leader?

Well the more he f's up the more people look at Gary Johnson. And if the libertarians get over 5% they get matching funds next time. If we are still intact as a nation in 4 years.

This is insane.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The more I think about Trump's behavior like the Twitter tirade, the more he scares me.

I've never seriously considered voting for him, but my "gun to head, Trump or Hillary, no value in martyrdom" was: Trump

Now I'm not so sure. Can you imagine our president behaving like that when someone offends them, particularly a foreign leader?

Well the more he f's up the more people look at Gary Johnson. And if the libertarians get over 5% they get matching funds next time. If we are still intact as a nation in 4 years.

This is insane.

After 4 years of hillary, so much of the government will be controlled by outside forces that there will be no way to take it back in any capacity. It's already close, just start reading up on defense contractors and various "charitable" foundations.

Unless we get someone in office willing to dismantle these things at all costs, we're going to become 1 gigantic corporation sold out to the highest bidder.

People usually don't like chemotherapy because it comes close to killing you, but it's far better than dying.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom