The OFFICIAL Trump/HRC/2016 General Election Thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Democrats have lost two elections where they won the popular vote, but lost in the electoral college. Them's the rules now, but there's merit to the argument.
    I cannot conceive of a scenario in which 3/4 of the states agree to abolish the electoral college.

But this popular/electoral vote difference will continue of the urban demographics continue.

We have already lost a lot of our supposed states' rights (which really means that people get to decide a few things locally). The House is certainly affected by the population differences and it's generally the more urban areas that want more laws coming from Washington.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Republicans now have no excuse not to fix the budget, deficit, healthcare and tax issues. Get to it boys and girls.

And I'd like constitutional carry while you are at it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I cannot conceive of a scenario in which 3/4 of the states agree to abolish the electoral college.

But this popular/electoral vote difference will continue of the urban demographics continue.

We have already lost a lot of our supposed states' rights (which really means that people get to decide a few things locally). The House is certainly affected by the population differences and it's generally the more urban areas that want more laws coming from Washington.

Surely you don't find Trump to be the Champion of states rights? I think it's obvious he ran on a stronger federal govt platform.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm glad that Trump will probably not win the Nobel Peace Prize and that children in Kindergarten won't sing songs for him this year. Obama sure didn't deserve them

That being said. He has a long hill to climb to take the moral high ground.

But Jeez Louise, it's only a few days after the election. Give the feller a chance.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Surely you don't find Trump to be the Champion of states rights? I think it's obvious he ran on a stronger federal govt platform.
    No
    I was referring to the reasons for keeping the electoral college and that the political divide is primarily rural/urban.

I don't find Trump to be the champion of anything except Trump, BTW.

Having said that I'm going to try to loosen up my skeptic hat and look for the positive.

His initial team suggestions/rumors are not encouraging.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No
    I was referring to the reasons for keeping the electoral college and that the political divide is primarily rural/urban.

I don't find Trump to be the champion of anything except Trump, BTW.

Having said that I'm going to try to loosen up my skeptic hat and look for the positive.

His initial team suggestions/rumors are not encouraging.

I personally have no issue with the electoral college because it can potentially benefit both parties. But nevertheless I can understand why, since it has benefited republicans the last two times, why people are having issue with it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Democrats have lost two elections where they won the popular vote, but lost in the electoral college. Them's the rules now, but there's merit to the argument.

People need to stop saying Hillary won the popular vote. Hillary didn't win ****. Popular vote means nothing when candidates are campaigning to win an electoral college. When's the last time a Republican POTUS candidate has spent any effort trying to woo the 15 million Republicans in California? If this election were based on popular vote from the start we don't know who would have won.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If they paid more attention to where their local voting booth is located, they wouldn't have to worry about the Electoral College so much.

You do know that 838 polling locations were eliminated in the South since 2013, right? That translates into longer lines and further travel. Combined with the fact that a number of states, most notably North Carolina, severely cut early voting, which is traditionally used by a great number of black voters.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Surely, none of you believe this had anything to do with individual voters or voting booths.

If the powers that be like their Trump, they can keep their Trump. ;)

Otherwise, they'll just kill him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I personally have no issue with the electoral college because it can potentially benefit both parties. But nevertheless I can understand why, since it has benefited republicans the last two times, why people are having issue with it.

First, I see nothing wrong with the electoral college, per say. My problem with our system is winner take all. It disenfranchises tens of millions of voters because their voting power goes to whichever candidate wins the state. In California, for example, 100% of Republicans' voting power goes towards electing Democrat Presidents. Of course the opposite is true for Republican locked states.

If we wanted to keep the indirectness of the electoral college to help the sparsely populated states have a little more voting power, I'm fine with that if it were proportional. So in California, ~35 of the EC votes would go to Democrats while 20 go to Republicans. That's a fair representation. Everyone then has their vote work towards the candidate they want.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Kut: According to Michael Moore yesterday, Trump won Michigan by 13,000 votes. However, 80,000 ballots contained no selection for president.

Remind me again where in the south Michigan is located.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You do know that 838 polling locations were eliminated in the South since 2013, right? That translates into longer lines and further travel. Combined with the fact that a number of states, most notably North Carolina, severely cut early voting, which is traditionally used by a great number of black voters.
    My polling place was also eliminated, and I now have to travel further to vote. This is the first year I've ever voted early, and the line was about the same as any other election.
    excuses are just excuses. If people want to vote, there is nothing stopping them. They can even get a free ride to their polling location, and maybe even a free meal, cash, or a phone!
    the problem we have and have had for a long time is the number of people who DON'T vote! If everyone that was eligible to vote would, we would have a more representative government like was intended!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    First, I see nothing wrong with the electoral college, per say. My problem with our system is winner take all. It disenfranchises tens of millions of voters because their voting power goes to whichever candidate wins the state. In California, for example, 100% of Republicans' voting power goes towards electing Democrat Presidents. Of course the opposite is true for Republican locked states.

If we wanted to keep the indirectness of the electoral college to help the sparsely populated states have a little more voting power, I'm fine with that if it were proportional. So in California, ~35 of the EC votes would go to Democrats while 20 go to Republicans. That's a fair representation. Everyone then has their vote work towards the candidate they want.
    There you go, making sense!:rolleyes:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But did she win the popular vote?
    According to this, absentee ballots are not counted, unless the numbers show they would make a difference at the precinct level.
    1st, is this true?
    2nd, is it true enough that the popular vote could go to Trump?

Hillary Clinton Wins the Popular Vote..... Maybe Not! | Conservative Byte

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom