• Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sometime last week we get a call from a hotel across the street that they are overbooked and need to walk one of their guests to us. That means that they are gonna tell one of their arrivals that they don't have a room for them, and that they are sending them over to my hotel.

So, we agree to take their guest, and even agree to match their (lower) rate as a courtesy.

So they call "Guest A" and let him know that his reservation is no longer valid and that they've secured him a room at our hotel.

So Guest A calls my hotel a few days ago and is inquiring about what kind of room he's getting. He's very rude on the phone and keeps rambling about how inconvenient this is for him (even though it isn't OUR fault).

He shows up for arrival today and the FIRST thing he says is "I hope this place proves to be satisfactory". :rolleyes: He's probably in his late 70s, and probably used to be military or a boss of some kind, because he liked to tell me what I was going to do. He proceeds to tell me how he doesn't want to stay here and how the other hotel screwed him over.

I apologize and tell him that if he'd rather not stay here I will gladly cancel his reservation and waive the fee. He then states "Well with this convention in town its probably impossible to get a room anywhere else, RIGHT?!?" To which I reply "That is correct".

So I get him checked in, all while he continues to moan and groan about this and that. He says "Am I in a quiet room, because I can hear people above the lobby". I say "yes, you are on the top floor at the very end, so there is no one above you". He comes back "well there better not be!" (keep in mind I just said TOP floor)

He then proceeds toward the elevator. When he gets there he sees a hispanic gentleman standing there waiting for the elevator and holding a case of beer. He asks the man what room he's headed to. The man says his room number, which is close to Guest A's room. So he turns right around and comes marching back toward the front desk. He says to me "Imagine my surprise when I see a young Mexican guy carrying up a case of beer. I'm sure he'll be up partying all night and being loud. What do you plan to do about this?" I explain that the gentlemen is part of a large group of construction workers that just checked in for a long-term stay, and that they are loading their belongings into their rooms. I tell Guest A that if he has any noise complaints to please call me at the front desk. He then asks me "how can I get ahold of the police from my room phone?" :n00b:

I reassure Guest A that he will have a good experience, and that if he doesn't he can always call me and I will handle any issues he has. He doesn't seem convinced. He asks "What other room can you put me in?" I check and let him know that the only other room that is near an end (his request) would be on the first floor with people above him. He scoffs and I almost expected him to throw a temper tantrum at this point.

He begrudgingly heads back toward the elevator, still muttering about how he was screwed over, how terrible his stay is going to be, and how he doesn't believe we'll do anything to fix anything.

I love working with the public!! :xmad::xmad:

**ETA**

As I was typing that Guest A came back down to my front desk. He had been up in his room for the past hour or so.

He drops the keys on the desk and says "I'm not staying here". I said "Certainly, let me get your reservation cancelled". He then spouts "You might want to go fix your elevator-- its dirty and looks like some Brooklyn slum housing". I said "I will check it indeed". Then he goes "Only if you want to, if you're interested in that kinda thing". I calmly replied "I'm absolutely interested in that kind of thing".

I then gave him his cancellation number and told him I wouldn't be charging him (even though he had possession of the room for an hour already). Instead of "thank you" he says "I figured you were gonna try and charge me." Then he just walks out. :dunno:

Good riddance.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So it looks like for every old, crotchety, rude guest I get some cool ones.

A guy and his wife just checked in-- they came from Alabama this morning to buy a 2010 Dodge Challenger RT from a guy in Indy. Its a dark blue color with mattle black stripes and only has 2,800 miles. He was so excited about it he let me come outside and look at it in person.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    So it looks like for every old, crotchety, rude guest I get some cool ones.

A guy and his wife just checked in-- they came from Alabama this morning to buy a 2010 Dodge Charger RT from a guy in Indy. Its a dark blue color with mattle black stripes and only has 2,800 miles. He was so excited about it he let me come outside and look at it in person.

That's great Esrice, hope the rest of the evening goes smoothly.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Scratch that, it was a Challenger, not a Charger.

Looked like this:

18784d1274021858-calling-all-b5-blue-classics-10_challenger_rt_1.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom