Not open for further replies.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    any kind in mind?

I think I will go with a pound puppy. No real ideas yet except for short hair and want something younger to grow up as a family. Also, I have started checking the classifieds in the news paper for puppies that people want to get rid of. I am still partial to beagles and hounds but not biased. Does your place sell dogs or is it like PetSmart and only cats?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    meh...I will let mother nature take care of it. I have a new shotgun to clean anyway. Priorities I tell you!

I've been working on mine off and on today too. That shotgun gives me an idea! I bet some rock-salt loads in a 12 ga would do a heck of a job blasting ice off a drive way! :rockwoot:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I think I will go with a pound puppy. No real ideas yet except for short hair and want something younger to grow up as a family. Also, I have started checking the classifieds in the news paper for puppies that people want to get rid of. I am still partial to beagles and hounds but not biased. Does your place sell dogs or is it like PetSmart and only cats?

Yay for the pound puppy!! Check Petfinder.com. It's linked to all the rescues/animal shelters. You put in what size/age/sex/location and it'll tell you what there is. It's amazing. Neither Petco or PetSmart sell cats. They both do adoption. We don't do dogs in store adoption like the cats cause of the extra care dogs would require (potty breaks) but MOST stores have adoption groups come in on weekends. My old store on the Northside has a rescue group that comes regularly. Most groups won't do same day adoptions though but I believe she does still. I'd also reccommend IACC. VERY reasonable adoption fee gets already spayed/neutered, up to date on all shots but rabies, and they usually have some hounds :D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Yay for the pound puppy!! Check Petfinder.com. It's linked to all the rescues/animal shelters. You put in what size/age/sex/location and it'll tell you what there is. It's amazing. Neither Petco or PetSmart sell cats. They both do adoption. We don't do dogs in store adoption like the cats cause of the extra care dogs would require (potty breaks) but MOST stores have adoption groups come in on weekends. My old store on the Northside has a rescue group that comes regularly. Most groups won't do same day adoptions though but I believe she does still. I'd also reccommend IACC. VERY reasonable adoption fee gets already spayed/neutered, up to date on all shots but rabies, and they usually have some hounds :D

My bad...I forgot it was adoption and not actually for sale at Petsmart. I didn't even know about Petco to be honest:D My parents have a pound puppy and she has turned out great for them so I have no problems with that. If it wasn't for my 3yr old then I would do a rescue but I am cautious with him in that situation because you just don't know how a dog was treated and small children.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My bad...I forgot it was adoption and not actually for sale at Petsmart. I didn't even know about Petco to be honest:D My parents have a pound puppy and she has turned out great for them so I have no problems with that. If it wasn't for my 3yr old then I would do a rescue but I am cautious with him in that situation because you just don't know how a dog was treated and small children.

We have to correct people all the time about the sale vs adoption thing lol..Pound puppies are usually the best dogs...of the 4 dogs we had before my divorce, 2 were found as dumped strays, 1 was from county shelter and mine was from Craigslist. As far as the little one, a good rescue group can tell you how some of the dogs are around kids. They use foster homes instead of a shelter so the dogs are exposed to normal home stuff. Kids, other animals, stuff like that. And then just supervise, supervise. supervise lol. My dog's normally fine with kids but I wouldn't leave her alone with a 3yo

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Mine either...if I walked outside with a gun you could see then I would give it about 5 minutes before the local PD are here with a call from a nosey neighbor:cool:

I wonder about my complex on this. I've seen an OC "security" person once...I wasn't impressed

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Mine either...if I walked outside with a gun you could see then I would give it about 5 minutes before the local PD are here with a call from a nosey neighbor:cool:
    Oh, plenty of my neighbors have seen me carrying guns back and forth to my truck as well as on my person. Making them go boom is a different story. If they decided to complain, they wouldn't have to go far. There's an IMPD officer that lives almost right across the street! :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My wife was adopted and she absolutely despises to people referring to buying a dog or cat, "an adoption".

The last cat we got at the pound, they did a background check on us. Called our vet to see if we kept our other animals up to date on shots, good condition, etc. Never went back.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I wonder about my complex on this. I've seen an OC "security" person once...I wasn't impressed

You should see the "armed guards" in Washington D.C. at the Holocaust Museum. They were Wackenhut security when I went and I still believe the one lady would have to get off her stool and pull her belly over to draw her gun on a bad guy:n00b:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My wife was adopted and she absolutely despises to people referring to buying a dog or cat, "an adoption".

The last cat we got at the pound, they did a background check on us. Called our vet to see if we kept our other animals up to date on shots, good condition, etc. Never went back.

This is my problem with a lot of the postings on Craigslist. People ask for outrageous "adoption" fees on animals they haven't gotten shots for or bothered to spay/neuter. An adoption is totally different then a sale. Totally. I sell dog food. You have money, I won't not sell you dog food. I can and will tell you if it's not the right dog food for what you want. But I won't not take your money. I can and will refuse to take your money on any animal in my store. They're technically sales (98% of them, we sometimes have something for adoption) but I won't just sell you an animal because you have money in hand.

Did they really do a background check or just call your vet and references? Do you know why they called your vet? Too many people adopt an animal and never take it to the vet, don't keep up on shots, etc and then turn the animal back in, resulting in higher vet bills for the shelter. Not in any way saying you'd do this. Just that they have to have a SOP for everyone. They call references to weed out people they feel shouldn't have the animals. I know someone who runs a rescue. If I wanted one of her dogs, you can bet she's gonna do the same to me she does to all her other potential adopters.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    You should see the "armed guards" in Washington D.C. at the Holocaust Museum. They were Wackenhut security when I went and I still believe the one lady would have to get off her stool and pull her belly over to draw her gun on a bad guy:n00b:

We had a prision back home, staffed at the time by Wackenhut...yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I guess they switched to GEO after I moved. My mom's current husband works there, not as security. His coworkers/employees are the inmates.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't ever go to the doctor so why should my dog have to go to the vet?

(For the record though I do make my dogs get their shots)

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I don't ever go to the doctor so why should my dog have to go to the vet?

(For the record though I do make my dogs get their shots)

by state law the only shot you have to get is Rabies, from a vet.

as far as the other shots, that depends on what you do with them. If you don't go to dog parks, boarding or grooming, I'd do the 7-in-1 shot from TSC. I do. I gave my dog her last round of shots myself after spending 5 hours on a Saturday to get her the last years shots. It's like $10 vs what the vet charges. I know how to administer animal shots so it took me 2 minutes. At the vet, it took 2 people and a muzzle to give my dog a shot. She barely turned her head when I did it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We had a prision back home, staffed at the time by Wackenhut...yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I guess they switched to GEO after I moved. My mom's current husband works there, not as security. His coworkers/employees are the inmates.

The prison here is a GEO prison now as well. I just remember when I was in D.C. the security guards there were less than impressive and then a couple years later they had the nut job go in there shooting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom