Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sorry to hear that.

You should retire, you know like churchmouse did. :)

I'm working on it. Only 42, but definitely ready. The way things are, after we get everything running smooth, my brother who enjoys trucking is running the trucking company (and has invested some more on his own), our other brother is running the books, and I will be running the farm and pinch hitting with the trucks as soon as I get well. Basically, we are making things work by not dividing our inheritance so that we all still have a source of income and the critical mass to do things.

We have one other brother who was all about cashing out and running. Ironically, this is the brother that dad though would never do that and he was all twisted up that we would leave the boy unemployed with nowhere to go--instead of him double dipping us while doing work for others and working on his golden parachute.

It seems that nothing is ever simple, but it will work out. The only other thing is that after I get well and get the farm taken in hand, I should have plenty of time on my hands to be the cool uncle! I am definitely looking forward to that!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Marty does better here

[video=youtube;OntwwcBVe6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OntwwcBVe6o[/video]

[video=youtube;mL6puxUeIqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL6puxUeIqU[/video]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Amazing aren't they? Skiing, going prone with the skis on and shooting. That'd do me in right there.

There was a Finnish sniper who made life pure hell on the Russkies who did his sniping drive-by on skis. Some times he would use his rifle and stop, shoot, repeat. Other times he would just zip by and empty a sub gun into them.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I'm working on it. Only 42, but definitely ready. The way things are, after we get everything running smooth, my brother who enjoys trucking is running the trucking company (and has invested some more on his own), our other brother is running the books, and I will be running the farm and pinch hitting with the trucks as soon as I get well. Basically, we are making things work by not dividing our inheritance so that we all still have a source of income and the critical mass to do things.

We have one other brother who was all about cashing out and running. Ironically, this is the brother that dad though would never do that and he was all twisted up that we would leave the boy unemployed with nowhere to go--instead of him double dipping us while doing work for others and working on his golden parachute.

It seems that nothing is ever simple, but it will work out. The only other thing is that after I get well and get the farm taken in hand, I should have plenty of time on my hands to be the cool uncle! I am definitely looking forward to that!

Hard work, my hats off to you and your brothers.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    There was a Finnish sniper who made life pure hell on the Russkies who did his sniping drive-by on skis. Some times he would use his rifle and stop, shoot, repeat. Other times he would just zip by and empty a sub gun into them.

I remember reading about that. If I remember correctly he used a captured Mosin.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Hard work, my hats off to you and your brothers.

I have to give credit to Phillip for doing the heavy lifting. He understands the business extremely well and is a very good mechanic, both of which are critically important. My thing is rounding out rough edges, finding ways to make things work better that he might not think of, and most important, filling in the gaps with things go sideways. It is ironic that while he is a great mechanic and I am not, I generally do a better job of picking out tools and accessories that make the work go faster and easier!

Another significant element is that he is the only one of the three of us involved with children.

As for me, my big goal is to get the farm producing enough to supply the extended family with food and set the nieces and nephews up to be ready for whatever may come--and I am not very optimistic about the future. Maybe that is why I like Trump so well--he can presenting a convincing case that we might get by without the ceiling falling in just quite yet. Anyway, my goal is that regardless of my lower than average expectations regarding my own longevity (mom passed at 58 and dad at 63, and I am in significantly worse shape than either at 42) to provide both the working farm and the knowledge to operate it such that regardless of whether I am here or not, they will have what they need.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom