Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can not imagine what that deck sounded like when all weapons came to bear and went full song.
    Holy Mother.

You'd think they'd have more room. But no.

2017216.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A majestic lady.

:thumbsup:

I had the privilege to visit her, when I was in Hawaii. I even have a piece of her deck on my bookshelf.

USS Alabama.

Roll Tide!

You'd think they'd have more room. But no.

2017216.jpg

Majestic indeed! On her decks ended the last war we fought because it had to be done, the last war we had the will to win, and the last war in which we still had a solid grip on who we really are--neither warmongers nor cowards, neither bullies nor victims, and a people who in spite of internal differences of opinion still lived as one nation.

As for the room, the bottom line is that the more interior volume you have, the more weight in armor you need to protect it or else the more armor you are going to give up to stretch it to fit without going past a practical weight, and also that additional weight would compete with armament and propulsion. That said, our battleships were more spacious internally than were British, French, German, or Italian battleships.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Majestic indeed! On her decks ended the last war we fought because it had to be done, the last war we had the will to win, and the last war in which we still had a solid grip on who we really are--neither warmongers nor cowards, neither bullies nor victims, and a people who in spite of internal differences of opinion still lived as one nation.

As for the room, the bottom line is that the more interior volume you have, the more weight in armor you need to protect it or else the more armor you are going to give up to stretch it to fit without going past a practical weight, and also that additional weight would compete with armament and propulsion. That said, our battleships were more spacious internally than were British, French, German, or Italian battleships.

Er. I may have been on a sub, but I do understand design constraints.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another cool bit of trivia is that unlike every other nationality, the German heavy guns had a sliding breech block which rode a wedge shaped surface and locked more or less like a falling block rifle, and had the shell and power charge separate although the charge was in a brass case, both of which were loaded with one stroke of a mechanical rammer. Everyone else's used a hinged breech block with interrupted threads with a shell backed up with bags of powder that healthy and spry young men loaded by hand. Surprisingly, the rate of fire was not significantly different although the German way was nice about not wearing out crewmen.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Another cool bit of trivia is that unlike every other nationality, the German heavy guns had a sliding breech block which rode a wedge shaped surface and locked more or less like a falling block rifle, and had the shell and power charge separate although the charge was in a brass case, both of which were loaded with one stroke of a mechanical rammer. Everyone else's used a hinged breech block with interrupted threads with a shell backed up with bags of powder that healthy and spry young men loaded by hand. Surprisingly, the rate of fire was not significantly different although the German way was nice about not wearing out crewmen.

Easier to change the men, than the equipment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom