mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When my wife found her real grandparents, they were Serbians. So she would celebrate with them every year till they both died., double Christmas is AWSOME!!

We got to miss school for the big party at my grandma's house every year on January 7th!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    She loved staying at their house. Her grandpa would tell such great stories. I'm glad she found them before they died.

Good memories. I never knew either of my grandfathers. They both died by the time I was 2 or 3. My mom's mom died when I was between 2nd and 3rd grade, but I remember her. My other grandma lived to be 93 and passed 10 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long already. I have so many good memories of her. Many of them revolve around food and her recipes. She loved to cook, and always had food cooking.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Good memories. I never knew either of my grandfathers. They both died by the time I was 2 or 3. My mom's mom died when I was between 2nd and 3rd grade, but I remember her. My other grandma lived to be 93 and passed 10 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long already. I have so many good memories of her. Many of them revolve around food and her recipes. She loved to cook, and always had food cooking.
    Sounds like a typical Serbian household, food and great stories. My wife was an orphan. She went to foster care till she was 12. Then her real mom and new husband came looking for her. Her mom is a piece of ****. Her step dad was a saint. Thank god for him. He died in 2006 of Agent Orange in a VA hospital. But she did get to meet her real grandparents who was just wonderful to her. They both died in 2010.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sounds like a typical Serbian household, food and great stories. My wife was an orphan. She went to foster care till she was 12. Then her real mom and new husband came looking for her. Her mom is a piece of ****. Her step dad was a saint. Thank god for him. He died in 2006 of Agent Orange in a VA hospital. But she did get to meet her real grandparents who was just wonderful to her. They both died in 2010.

I knew you said she had been in the orphanage. I'm glad she got to know some of her family and has good memories of them. My husband's paternal side are also Serbian so he has similar memories. His grandma was insulted if you didn't eat. So many of those old recipes are not fancy. Just good comfort food made with what they had available. I love trying to make recipes that I find online that sound like things my grandma made. None of her recipes are recorded other than what I made her make with me so I could measure the ingredients as we worked and record them. She never measured anything.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I knew you said she had been in the orphanage. I'm glad she got to know some of her family and has good memories of them. My husband's paternal side are also Serbian so he has similar memories. His grandma was insulted if you didn't eat. So many of those old recipes are not fancy. Just good comfort food made with what they had available. I love trying to make recipes that I find online that sound like things my grandma made. None of her recipes are recorded other than what I made her make with me so I could measure the ingredients as we worked and record them. She never measured anything.
    My dads mom was German. She taught my mom how to make all these wonderful German foods. She never measured anything either. It was all I pinch or a dash. We was talking earlier about mom making Potato Candy. It was so good!!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My dads mom was German. She taught my mom how to make all these wonderful German foods. She never measured anything either. It was all I pinch or a dash. We was talking earlier about mom making Potato Candy. It was so good!!

I never had that kind of candy. We made a recipe that used mashed potatoes and coconut (and other ingredients) that was made into balls and then dipped in chocolate. My oldest sister still makes them every year.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you were a diabetic it would kill you instantly. Potatoes, sugar, peanut butter. Heavy on the sugar!

I'm not diabetic, but it sounds almost too sweet to me. Too much sugar makes my teeth hurt.

I guess I am going to call it a night.

Have a good night guys

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom