IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    9 hours and no posts this is unacceptable!!! :D

Ok, I'll bite.... num num

You ever get that Avatar Blue-Ray disk working??

If not I may have an answer for you. Right before my disk menu came up it said that if my Blue-Ray player did not have the latest firmware update that it might not work.

So check to see if it updated. Also I noticed that us searched for a network connection before the disk loaded. Might need it, don't see why, but might be.

Going for round 2 of watching tomorrow, catch things I missed on the second time around.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd like to start buying BluRay discs for movies now. I don't really buy DVDs any more at all, unless they are in the $5 bin at Wally World, of course. But I don't have anything that can play BDs yet. :( Once I can afford a PS3, though, that's what I'm going to do. *sigh*

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'd like to start buying BluRay discs for movies now. I don't really buy DVDs any more at all, unless they are in the $5 bin at Wally World, of course. But I don't have anything that can play BDs yet. :( Once I can afford a PS3, though, that's what I'm going to do. *sigh*

I'd love to buy more but hate the raping we get for cost of them. The only added expense is that the BR disk is it cost a little more to make, and the extra time to record it.

The extra time to record will diminish quickly as faster burners are made so it should not cost an extra 10 -15 dollars more for the movie.

Just the normal fleecing that we as consumers get pasted for.

One thing to note, if the movie was not made in the last 3 years, don't waste the money to buy a Blue Ray of it because all you are getting is a cleaned up remaster version of it, not an original HD recording.

Most players will upconvert to near 1080 clarity, so buying BR dvd's of older movies is wasting your $$$'s.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd love to buy more but hate the raping we get for cost of them. The only added expense is that the BR disk is it cost a little more to make, and the extra time to record it.

The extra time to record will diminish quickly as faster burners are made so it should not cost an extra 10 -15 dollars more for the movie.

Just the normal fleecing that we as consumers get pasted for.

One thing to note, if the movie was not made in the last 3 years, don't waste the money to buy a Blue Ray of it because all you are getting is a cleaned up remaster version of it, not an original HD recording.

Most players will upconvert to near 1080 clarity, so buying BR dvd's of older movies is wasting your $$$'s.

Yep, I'm well aware of all that stuff. I actually worked at Sony DADC here in Terre Haute a couple summers ago. That's one of the primary production plants for DVDs and BDs. I could walk right into the production area and watch the discs being manufactured, burned, labelled, and packaged. :) Pretty cool stuff.

And btw, I don't really consider it a "fleecing". That's the natural way of things. The newest stuff always comes at a cost premium. I mean, surely you remember when DVD players cost $400, but now you can get 'em for $50 or less. Supply and demand sets the prices, as I'm sure you know.

ETA - But yeah, the fact that the costs is still high is one of the reasons I'm not too worried about getting my PS3 yet.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    And btw, I don't really consider it a "fleecing". That's the natural way of things. The newest stuff always comes at a cost premium. I mean, surely you remember when DVD players cost $400, but now you can get 'em for $50 or less. Supply and demand sets the prices, as I'm sure you know.

There is a whole lot of price manipulation out there by the manufactures with contracts stating that they can not sell below a certain price or they loose their ability to get the product. There are some examples out there , just to lazy to use my Google fu right now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009

Wal-Mart has/had BR players in for as little as $60 just last week.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Wal-Mart has/had BR players in for as little as $60 just last week.

But... but... but, if I get a cheap-o BD player, what's my excuse for getting a PS3?? :dunno:

SRSLY though, I didn't realize they were priced so low these days. Kinda haven't even been watching because I really do want a PS3 once I can afford it. Every time I get enough petty cash saved up for one, I find ways to spend money on gun stuff instead :D

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    But... but... but, if I get a cheap-o BD player, what's my excuse for getting a PS3?? :dunno:

SRSLY though, I didn't realize they were priced so low these days. Kinda haven't even been watching because I really do want a PS3 once I can afford it. Every time I get enough petty cash saved up for one, I find ways to spend money on gun stuff instead :D

Best Buy or Wally world should have at least one on sale in the 119.00 range 139.00 that's not a high end model but will function just fine, you just need to make sure it has both a HDMI and component connecctions.

Some of the cheaper ones only have a component, and since you have a NetFlix subscription, look for one that streams NetFlix that way you can do a direct download to watch.

That's my next objective, to talk the wife into the NetFlix sub.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Best Buy or Wally world should have at least one on sale in the 119.00 range 139.00 that's not a high end model but will function just fine, you just need to make sure it has both a HDMI and component connecctions.

Some of the cheaper ones only have a component, and since you have a NetFlix subscription, look for one that streams NetFlix that way you can do a direct download to watch.

That's my next objective, to talk the wife into the NetFlix sub.

Oh, I didn't realize you could stream Netflix from a BD player; I had seen ads on Netflix that they have streaming to PS3s (and, most recently, to Wiis), but I guess it makes sense it'd work on a "standard" BD player. Cool :yesway:

ETA - IMHO Netflix really is nicely priced. I got the 2-out-at-a-time option and split it with my roommate. That also includes unlimited streaming; and there's no problem with us both streaming in the apartment at the same time. Or even if we both go home for breaks. $14 per month isn't bad at all. I hope your wife goes for it!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009

I've never wanted a PS3, but I had no idea either until I went in... and here I've been railing against BluRay, talking about exploitation of the proletariat, and here they're not as expensive as I thought. :D

Saw some nice big hundred-round boxes of 9mm at Wal-Mart yesterday, figured I'd hold off until today to buy them... GONE.

Boy was I upset.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom