Too close for comfort

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully the shooter here gets his felony and is then legally done with firearms.

That said, wonder if there will be learning done by the left lane lollygaging brake checker?

Can't justify the shooting under any circumstances, but there is no denieing there would be no trouble for anyone involved had the lefty lane lurker followed the rules of the road?

:dunno:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    We have the info from the news story, so there may be a Paul Harvey moment coming soon.

With that said, from what is in the news article, sport ute guy was not justified in use of deadly force. Someone flips you off? Well that's free speech. Somebody sucks at driving? Not a reason to put holes in their 2nd generation Saturn sedan.

Just an FYI, I expect more from Saturn owners.
    This makes sense to me. Mutual combat may be the wrong legal term but but once UTE guy retaliated by clipping the purple car I think his claim to self defense ended. If the shooter did contact the purple car it also seems like an escalation.
    Plus, an innocent bystander get hit too?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This makes sense to me. Mutual combat may be the wrong legal term but but once UTE guy retaliated by clipping the purple car I think his claim to self defense ended. If the shooter did contact the purple car it also seems like an escalation.
    Plus, an innocent bystander get hit too?
    It's like everyone is one step from going batcrap over anything. OK not everyone, just those who make the news.

You win every fight you avoid. While in a very heavy object traveling at 70 mph (or a little faster) with many others doing the same, this is not the time to get in a fight.

Maybe the big overhead signs on the interstates should say "not every hill is worth dying on" or something.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The driver told police he had been traveling to Paragon on I-70 westbound when a silver Saturn SUV began to tailgate his vehicle in the left lane. Instead of getting over, the driver admitted to “flipping off” and brake checking the SUV.

I'm having trouble feeling sorry for the asshat in the left lane. Yeah, shots fired is a bit much, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's like everyone is one step from going batcrap over anything. OK not everyone, just those who make the news.

You win every fight you avoid. While in a very heavy object traveling at 70 mph (or a little faster) with many others doing the same, this is not the time to get in a fight.

Maybe the big overhead signs on the interstates should say "not every hill is worth dying on" or something.

While I still like to get where I'm going without delay, I have moderated my driving/riding style these days.

I try to keep in mind what any loose screw nut job might think of my driving. Could I be mistaken for someone trying to intimidate or "bully" them? Could the poor mental health of another driver perceive me as an enemy?

These days lately, I make the conscious effort to be overly kind to other drivers. I try hard NOT to be the cause of stirring up bad feelings (real or not,) in other driver's minds. Sometimes I even say this aloud to myself, while behind the wheel.

Just as the wise man quoted says, "You win every fight you avoid."

:draw:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've never understood it or the ones who tailgate them / try to play police. I'll see them up ahead and gladly move to the right lane before I come up on them.
    Yep. I do the same. Only get really annoyed in traffic when they are pacing traffic to the right and there is no way to get around them.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yep. I do the same. Only get really annoyed in traffic when they are pacing traffic to the right and there is no way to get around them.
    Even then, you don't know who the "pace car driver" is, like in the case on I-70. . I'm getting better at hanging back and letting someone else  coax them out of the way.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    While I still like to get where I'm going without delay, I have moderated my driving/riding style these days.

I try to keep in mind what any loose screw nut job might think of my driving. Could I be mistaken for someone trying to intimidate or "bully" them? Could the poor mental health of another driver perceive me as an enemy?

These days lately, I make the conscious effort to be overly kind to other drivers. I try hard NOT to be the cause of stirring up bad feelings (real or not,) in other driver's minds. Sometimes I even say this aloud to myself, while behind the wheel.

I like that quote!. "You win every fight you avoid".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder how much of today's road rage is the result of less ISP troopers actually patrolling traffic on the roads? Maybe I'm off base here, but you rarely see troopers on the highway, other than when holiday federal tax dollars are overtime funding?

Around here anyway, according to scanner app traffic, ISP's main job is to back up local law enforcement. Seems as if local law enforcement and ISP is at the mercy of top heavy political bureaucrats, who make up these department's administrations?

:scratch:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment

As another wise man said "An armed society is a polite society".

This may have come from @KellyinAvon as well.
    Not really sure.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I like that quote!. "You win every fight you avoid".
    Our man, KellyinAvon said that.

:yesway:
    A former CIA security guy who had a seminar at the NRAAMM years back used the phrase, "Identify the threat, avoid the threat." He may have used "you win every fight you avoid", I don't think I came up with it.

Duck Duck Go pointed to Sun Tzu, "the greatest victory is that which requires no battle" is the same but different.

I'll play the age card and say I can't remember!! :oldwise:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've never understood it or the ones who tailgate them / try to play police. I'll see them up ahead and gladly move to the right lane before I come up on them.
    Too many people forget that it is either 'slower traffic keep right' or 'keep right except to pass' in pretty much any state. It doesn't mention an exception for 'unless you're going the speed limit'

It is never your job to block people going faster than you are

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Too many people forget that it is either 'slower traffic keep right' or 'keep right except to pass' in pretty much any state. It doesn't mention an exception for 'unless you're going the speed limit'

It is never your job to block people going faster than you are

Had this happen tonight. Slower driver in far left lane not passing anyone. I came up behind him running 85 mph (70 mph zone). He was running right at 70 mph. He did not budge. I didn't flash my lights. Didn't tailgate him. I just hugged the left side of the lane so he could see me in his outside mirror. He finally moved over and flipped me off and was yelling obscenities out his window. I just kept on moving - passed him and signaled and slid over to the middle lane. He's in the distances and I don't even think twice about him. Next exit, he comes up behind and pulls next to me still flipping me off, honking his horn and yelling out his window. I had my wife and two kids in the car and my wife is saying I did something wrong. <confused> Short of driving away from the light at the exit, I don't know what else I could have done differently - other than never pass anyone on the highway I guess. <confused>

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Had this happen tonight. Slower driver in far left lane not passing anyone. I came up behind him running 85 mph (70 mph zone). He was running right at 70 mph. He did not budge. I didn't flash my lights. Didn't tailgate him. I just hugged the left side of the lane so he could see me in his outside mirror. He finally moved over and flipped me off and was yelling obscenities out his window. I just kept on moving - passed him and signaled and slid over to the middle lane. He's in the distances and I don't even think twice about him. Next exit, he comes up behind and pulls next to me still flipping me off, honking his horn and yelling out his window. I had my wife and two kids in the car and my wife is saying I did something wrong. <confused> Short of driving away from the light at the exit, I don't know what else I could have done differently - other than never pass anyone on the highway I guess. <confused>
    Some people are just unhinged idiots. How dare you speed!

Top Bottom