• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The only thing for me is if I could get it to fit in the back of the Fiesta! LOL I might have to just go with the cart and figure a way to mount a seat later or just use it to haul an old lawn chair or something LOL

Fiesta huh? I would suggest just driving that thing on the range. I don't think anyone has issues with 4 wheeler size vehicles roaming around:laugh:

Are you still planning to crash here on Friday? I heard talk of motel rooms or something.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just curious about this among our little RB/WSSC community. How do ya'll feel about Texas Stars in IDPA matches? Come 10/1 it won't matter, but are you sorry to see them go or glad to see them go??

I personally like Texas Stars and I'm not sure a USPSA match can be complete without one. In IDPA though, I'm not quite sure how they fit into the "spirit" of the game. For that matter, I've not always been crazy about plates just scattered around without purpose either. WSSC had a match a while back where there was two plates to be shot, but they set it up like they were tires on a car. Fit the scenario well and made sense to the intent of the game. I'm all about poppers in IDPA though- you never know when midget thugs might come at you.

Thoughts?

Please note, this is not a slight against the star being set-up at RB this Sat. I like stars and they are fun (although at RB their fun ends quickly if the bay is drowning in water- LOL!). Just wondering about their place in the game--for now:)

You echoed my thoughts about it. I would love to shoot an actual Steel Challenge match where everything is steel and not just poppers. They have their place but I personally don't like LOTS of steel in a match if it can be helped. The Star is awesome but there is an element of randomness to it that could skew the results of an 'IDPA' match, if you catch my meaning.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My :twocents:.

Texas Star - Good. It creates pressure and adds an element of execute when you must or lose, both of which seem to belong in a sport with ideals of supporting self defense.
    Polish Star - might be good if everyone had a while to practice at it, it was a bit too much of a specialized gadget for me to walk into cold (not that I don't botch the Texas Star most of the time also).

For TJ, Sellersburg is laid out a lot like Lewisport except it is flat and works better for two way traffic and parking, facilities are about the same. For Mike, easy walking, not that spread out, some shade provided and tables provided at each bay, they had water coolers but not enough of them for USPSA last month so it was good if you were somewhat self sufficient.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My :twocents:.

Texas Star - Good. It creates pressure and adds an element of execute when you must or lose, both of which seem to belong in a sport with ideals of supporting self defense.
    Polish Star - might be good if everyone had a while to practice at it, it was a bit too much of a specialized gadget for me to walk into cold (not that I don't botch the Texas Star most of the time also).

For TJ, Sellersburg is laid out a lot like Lewisport except it is flat and works better for two way traffic and parking, facilities are about the same. For Mike, easy walking, not that spread out, some shade provided and tables provided at each bay, they had water coolers but not enough of them for USPSA last month so it was good if you were somewhat self sufficient.

True, hadn't thought that way about the star. To bring the ultimate element of execution, it should be shot with a revolver:laugh:

Shoot well in Manchester, my friend. I hope you and all the RB crew has a great time. I may or may not show. Kind of leaning towards not.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Shoot well in Manchester, my friend. I hope you and all the RB crew has a great time. I may or may not show. Kind of leaning towards not.

Thanks!
    I think I'm going to be a not from now on ($'s, distance, sleep deprivation, 10 stages instead of 12, etc) but figured I'd give it one more go. Sellersburg and the more local USPSA stuff seems to make a lot more sense for me.
    The Illinois shoot you went to this year is something I'd really like to try next time it comes around.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks!
    I think I'm going to be a not from now on ($'s, distance, sleep deprivation, 10 stages instead of 12, etc) but figured I'd give it one more go. Sellersburg and the more local USPSA stuff seems to make a lot more sense for me.
    The Illinois shoot you went to this year is something I'd really like to try next time it comes around.

I can't really say much because I'm not a member, but it's just a shame that a major couldn't be organized at RB again. I think we'd have plenty of crew, just a matter of getting the club cool with it. I guess a multi-thousand dollar match just isn't appealling.

IL is a good local major, and MO isn't much further away either. Nice thing about both these matches is that they offer Friday squads as well, so I was able to sleep in my own bed and leave around 8 or 9. Don't care what anybody says, there is NO sleep like that which comes from your own bed.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    IL is a good local major, and MO isn't much further away either. Nice thing about both these matches is that they offer Friday squads as well, so I was able to sleep in my own bed and leave around 8 or 9. Don't care what anybody says, there is NO sleep like that which comes from your own bed.

You had me at 'isn't much further away', now if I can just remember this stuff when sign up time comes around next year.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So have all the locals/KoolKidz signed up for Sellersburg? I see Jeff and Mike both put a foot in the ring. I'd like to, but still doubting my skills and ammo, not to mention $85 vs our local $10 fee. :laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm stepping outside the comfort zone here; I signed up for SSP EX... I feel much more confident slinging the ol' .45 in CDP but cost of ammo plus the thought of leaving all that juicy .45 brass just laying there was too much for me! I think you should totally do it, man! The $85 did hurt but I'd been looking forward to doing a match where I could show up and everything is done for me! I guess it costs an extra $70 or so to have that done for you :D

Also, let me know if you need those M&P45 mags!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So have all the locals/KoolKidz signed up for Sellersburg? I see Jeff and Mike both put a foot in the ring. I'd like to, but still doubting my skills and ammo, not to mention $85 vs our local $10 fee. :laugh:

I guess I'm blessed in that I've shot enough majors that I can critique the matches. Some majors you go to you put down cash and get nothing but a pittance lunch and maybe some trinket off the prize table. Other majors you go to you get a nice lunch, match shirt, shooters bag (usually magazines, brochures and little bottles of oil or Springfield stickers- which I give to Brad) and a chance at a sweet prize table. At the Kolonel you will literally be getting twice the match as a local, a shirt to were to local matches, a goodie bag, lunch and prize table. All of that adds value to the experience, plus whatever you might secure from the prize table. I've seen everything from guns to sonic cleaners on the table. And, if you're really good, you can add a plaque to the cost:cool:

There's some big names coming in for the Kolonel, they aren't going to skimp on anything for this one.

In other words, don't look at it from just a match point of view.

Best of all, you don't have to overnight it with all the cost of room and food. Plus, you'll make friendships you wouldn't have made before. Kind of cool shooting the Kolonel with dudes I shot with in MA.

Sign-up already man!:laugh:

I'm stepping outside the comfort zone here; I signed up for SSP EX... I feel much more confident slinging the ol' .45 in CDP but cost of ammo plus the thought of leaving all that juicy .45 brass just laying there was too much for me! I think you should totally do it, man! The $85 did hurt but I'd been looking forward to doing a match where I could show up and everything is done for me! I guess it costs an extra $70 or so to have that done for you :D

Also, let me know if you need those M&P45 mags!

I noticed the SSP listing and I'm digging it.:rockwoot: There is a massive amount of staff on board for this thing, but don't be surprised if you still have to paste. No resetting, no SOing, but pasting- likely- but maybe not. Even at the indoor nats there was one stage we had to paste:laugh:

While we're selling M&P stuff, got any other 9s you want to ditch?:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I guess I'm blessed in that I've shot enough majors that I can critique the matches. Some majors you go to you put down cash and get nothing but a pittance lunch and maybe some trinket off the prize table. Other majors you go to you get a nice lunch, match shirt, shooters bag (usually magazines, brochures and little bottles of oil or Springfield stickers- which I give to Brad) and a chance at a sweet prize table. At the Kolonel you will literally be getting twice the match as a local, a shirt to were to local matches, a goodie bag, lunch and prize table. All of that adds value to the experience, plus whatever you might secure from the prize table. I've seen everything from guns to sonic cleaners on the table. And, if you're really good, you can add a plaque to the cost:cool:

There's some big names coming in for the Kolonel, they aren't going to skimp on anything for this one.

In other words, don't look at it from just a match point of view.

Best of all, you don't have to overnight it with all the cost of room and food. Plus, you'll make friendships you wouldn't have made before. Kind of cool shooting the Kolonel with dudes I shot with in MA.

Sign-up already man!:laugh:

I noticed the SSP listing and I'm digging it.:rockwoot: There is a massive amount of staff on board for this thing, but don't be surprised if you still have to paste. No resetting, no SOing, but pasting- likely- but maybe not. Even at the indoor nats there was one stage we had to paste:laugh:

While we're selling M&P stuff, got any other 9s you want to ditch?:)

I'm nervous about the SSP thing but I figured it to be the very best way to push myself. I want to see if I actually earned the EX class or if I backed into it and there shouldn't be a better way to find out than to put myself in a major with a bunch of very good shooters. More of what I have for SSP is on the gaming side of IDPA where my CDP is essentially my carry rig; only the gun size itself changes...but I'm carrying a 9mm now and am looking to add a single-stack 9 (Shield) most likely here in a bit for easier carry.

Are you asking me if I'm selling any more M&Ps or just the M&P mags? :D LOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm nervous about the SSP thing but I figured it to be the very best way to push myself. I want to see if I actually earned the EX class or if I backed into it and there shouldn't be a better way to find out than to put myself in a major with a bunch of very good shooters. More of what I have for SSP is on the gaming side of IDPA where my CDP is essentially my carry rig; only the gun size itself changes...but I'm carrying a 9mm now and am looking to add a single-stack 9 (Shield) most likely here in a bit for easier carry.

Are you asking me if I'm selling any more M&Ps or just the M&P mags? :D LOL

A major is a good way to see where you stand with the rest of the pack, especially if your local matches are at the same places. But, either way, if you shot it in the classifier it's where you need to be.

As to M&Ps- guns and mags for the guns.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A major is a good way to see where you stand with the rest of the pack, especially if your local matches are at the same places. But, either way, if you shot it in the classifier it's where you need to be.

As to M&Ps- guns and mags for the guns.

I hope so! I feel confident that I can at not embarrass myself anyway lol

as far as M&P mags, I can probably find a few 9mm that could use a good home and Brent keeps reminding me to bring a few M&P 45 mags for him...but I think I am out of M&P pistols to get rid of...just got my 9 Pro and my old M&P 45 left.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    TJ promag actually makes a decent m&p mag. I've had no trouble out of the two I bought and my brother has been running two also with no problems so far I believe. Although I would prefer the real thing too.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hope so! I feel confident that I can at not embarrass myself anyway lol

as far as M&P mags, I can probably find a few 9mm that could use a good home and Brent keeps reminding me to bring a few M&P 45 mags for him...but I think I am out of M&P pistols to get rid of...just got my 9 Pro and my old M&P 45 left.

I'm OK on mags for the guns I've got, but with some future shooters coming up more guns=more mags so some munchkin isn't stripping them out of my holsters:laugh:

TJ promag actually makes a decent m&p mag. I've had no trouble out of the two I bought and my brother has been running two also with no problems so far I believe. Although I would prefer the real thing too.

Good to know!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I tried to hit Mike up about his 9-Pro, but as it has a story behind it, we can say that one won't be leaving his possession I think. :):
    I'm looking into getting a standard m&p9 in FDE that I might have a lead on...

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I tried to hit Mike up about his 9-Pro, but as it has a story behind it, we can say that one won't be leaving his possession I think. :smile:

I'm looking into getting a standard m&p9 in FDE that I might have a lead on...

Do it!!! :D Yeah, my M&P9 Pro will not be leaving... in fact I'm actually at a point where everything I have is pretty safe. I did just pick up a nice older Remington 870 20 gauge Wingmaster that I would consider the most disposable but somebody gave me their father's old MEC Jr reloader for 20 gauge and a ton of powder, wads and hulls... how cool is that?!?

Top Bottom