• ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I did beat one guy in my division.

(Would have gotten a plaque if I was shooting a wheel gun).

All the more reason to get the wheels turning!:draw:

I know it's ridiculous to even think about at my level, but our current conversation and your 2s times reminds me of this and makes me want to strive that much more to maybe attaining this skill/quickness one day. (Even though it is only two yards) :D

http://youtu.be/O8QrWm3Acc0

I like to give Bobby advice when I can a nationals and so forth. I think I can do that drill in that time with my 625. Probably why I don't have a timer- I can keep thinking I can:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Vogel is a freak of nature to say the least.

I actually got some range time in today. My 25 yard stuff is looking better but I am going to have to be a bit pickier on my brass. Finding bulges in some odd 9mm brass...I should just stick with .45...

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I am going to have to be a bit pickier on my brass. Finding bulges in some odd 9mm brass...I should just stick with .45...

Glock bulges ?? Or does odd brass mean an odd manufacturer (Aguilla does not like my dies in 45 for example & wrinkles or bulges).
    I find split at case mouth 9mm but can't remember finding that caliber bulged, so just nosy.

Talked to a guy last week that shoots 9mm major with an open IPSC gun. He said even at the goofy pressures he is getting about 5 reloads or so. Made me feel a bit less nervous about some of the range brass I've picked up.
    Somebody needs to buy an open gun with a comp and optics so we can play with it after IDPA matches!!! That would have to be way cool on the plate racks.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glock bulges ?? Or does odd brass mean an odd manufacturer (Aguilla does not like my dies in 45 for example & wrinkles or bulges).
    I find split at case mouth 9mm but can't remember finding that caliber bulged, so just nosy.

Talked to a guy last week that shoots 9mm major with an open IPSC gun. He said even at the goofy pressures he is getting about 5 reloads or so. Made me feel a bit less nervous about some of the range brass I've picked up.
    Somebody needs to buy an open gun with a comp and optics so we can play with it after IDPA matches!!! That would have to be way cool on the plate racks.

Hard to say. It is subtle until it locks your gun up by not going fully into battery. Once you get it open you can see the bulge towards the case rim. I've only had it happen once in the last 1,000 or more 9mm rounds I've reloaded but had 3 last night that were bulged badly. 2 were headstamped with a name I'd never heard of but one was Winchester. Almost like they didn't completely get resided during the reloading process.

The odd part is they were so close together during the range time so I was basically pulling them from the same batch of collected brass. I just need to have a Go/No Go gauge and gauge all my 9mm from this point forward. if I'm going to keep running range brass. I just wonder if they are being resized but during some other part of the process they are bottoming out in one of the other dies and getting a bulge from that. :dunno:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I don't pick up brass anyway, but I certainly wouldn't at Owensboro and caution others of doing it- especially in 9. Major 9 reaches 357 pressure and velocity. Most guys I know that shoot major 9 tend to load, practice, reload, shoot in match and let it lay. I don't tend to be one that gets shook over issues in loading as much as others, but the 9 is deceptively high pressure. I'd be nervous too, although loading for minor probably won't ever reveal an issue.

If it does, we'll just call you "one hand McGhee.":D

When I get my CORE tricked out for open (hey, I can dream) it will be staying minor 9.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hard to say. It is subtle until it locks your gun up by not going fully into battery. Once you get it open you can see the bulge towards the case rim. I've only had it happen once in the last 1,000 or more 9mm rounds I've reloaded but had 3 last night that were bulged badly. 2 were headstamped with a name I'd never heard of but one was Winchester. Almost like they didn't completely get resided during the reloading process.

The odd part is they were so close together during the range time so I was basically pulling them from the same batch of collected brass. I just need to have a Go/No Go gauge and gauge all my 9mm from this point forward. if I'm going to keep running range brass. I just wonder if they are being resized but during some other part of the process they are bottoming out in one of the other dies and getting a bulge from that. :dunno:

I think a Lee Factory Crimp die would settle the issue for you. I run all my rimless reloads through one. For semi loads, I check them in the barrel (cause I'm too cheap to get a go/no go gauge:D).

FCD, that's what you need. If you press has an extra station you can put it in, that makes it all the better:yesway: It doesn't sound like it's a specific manufacture brass problem to me.

Edit to Ask: Do Glock 9s have supported chambers?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think a Lee Factory Crimp die would settle the issue for you. I run all my rimless reloads through one. For semi loads, I check them in the barrel (cause I'm too cheap to get a go/no go gauge:D).

FCD, that's what you need. If you press has an extra station you can put it in, that makes it all the better:yesway: It doesn't sound like it's a specific manufacture brass problem to me.

Edit to Ask: Do Glock 9s have supported chambers?

Press does but I don't know think it is a crimping issue. The brass itself doesn't appear to be traveling all the way into the resizing/depriming die so I wonder if I've gotten into a mix of some range pick up brass that simply won't chamber in some guns. Brad had his SR9 there and it chambered fine in his so I don't know if my barrels just have a slightly tighter tolerance or what the case may be. And the brass that is giving me fits are some that must have picked up around the same time since they all came out of the same batch I tumbled.

In the end I'm just going to have to do the barrel method since I don't want to buy the gauge either.:)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Press does but I don't know think it is a crimping issue. The brass itself doesn't appear to be traveling all the way into the resizing/depriming die so I wonder if I've gotten into a mix of some range pick up brass that simply won't chamber in some guns. Brad had his SR9 there and it chambered fine in his so I don't know if my barrels just have a slightly tighter tolerance or what the case may be. And the brass that is giving me fits are some that must have picked up around the same time since they all came out of the same batch I tumbled.

In the end I'm just going to have to do the barrel method since I don't want to buy the gauge either.:)

The secret of the Lee FCD isn't in the crimp. It resizes the round back to spec as well as crimping. Because I shoot lead I keep the crimp backed all the way out on it and put a roll crimp on in the stage before. :twocents:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The secret of the Lee FCD isn't in the crimp. It resizes the round back to spec as well as crimping. Because I shoot lead I keep the crimp backed all the way out on it and put a roll crimp on in the stage before. :twocents:

Where do you actually place the FCD in your process? You hit it after seating the bullet or after depriming? The bullets seating die I have is both a seating and crimping die.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yes. My process goes 1.size/deprive, 2. expand/charge, 3.seat/crimp, 4. Factory crimp die.

Sounds reasonable enough :D I've only had about 3 in the thousands that I've reloaded here lately. That might not be a bad step to take in order to insure they'll chamber in everything I have especially if I'm going to not be too overly picky on the range brass. I don't know if I'm being a bit too picky since I don't tend to shoot a ton of 9mm and in the end I am only out a few primers if they make it through the press and not pass the barrel test. Still, I think I'll look into picking one up when I make my next order.

Do you set the FCD up differently than normal?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Sounds reasonable enough :D I've only had about 3 in the thousands that I've reloaded here lately. That might not be a bad step to take in order to insure they'll chamber in everything I have especially if I'm going to not be too overly picky on the range brass. I don't know if I'm being a bit too picky since I don't tend to shoot a ton of 9mm and in the end I am only out a few primers if they make it through the press and not pass the barrel test. Still, I think I'll look into picking one up when I make my next order.

Do you set the FCD up differently than normal?

No. I do use it differently than some guys do though. I'm not interested in the crimp, just in getting the round back to spec. It will do that at any depth you set it and I just back the crimp all the way off.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    No. I do use it differently than some guys do though. I'm not interested in the crimp, just in getting the round back to spec. It will do that at any depth you set it and I just back the crimp all the way off.

Yeah, I think you do it opposite of what most do. Seems most peeps don't like the resizing the fcd does, I assume mainly for lead rounds.

On a side note, I got some usable .45 lead the other night, but I'm still about 1.5 for 5 with my casting attempts. And I need to grab a little torch to melt the ridiculous mess the pot made when it decided to drain ~80% of a full load onto the base and harden while I ran inside to get something. The valve stem/screw is a giant POS, definitely a point for improvement. I think a lot of my issues are from molds being too cold and not contaminated cavities. Also not able to get the .358 mold to throw as consistent as the .45 TL. :dunno:

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I added one to my Midway USA wish list. For now I'll do the barrel check just to make sure until it gets off of B/O.

Hang in there, Brent! You Can Dew EET!!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    And I need to grab a little torch to melt the ridiculous mess the pot made when it decided to drain ~80% of a full load onto the base and harden while I ran inside to get something.

Sooooooooooo......did we learn anything here;) The adjustment screw should not be an issue. Have you got it set where you want it and left it there? Not saying you did, but sometimes guys get impatient when the spout cool off and raise the plunger up. When everything gets hot, well, you get a mess.

Speaking of mess, can you not just lift it off and put it back in the pot?

The next time you cast, try leaving the cavities filled a few extra seconds on the first pour. This will help get the mold heated up fast. If you're bullets are having trouble dropping, clean them and smoke them again- thickly. TL molds are pretty forgiving to drop (and big nasty 45 bullets in general). But standard molds require a bit more.

I added one to my Midway USA wish list. For now I'll do the barrel check just to make sure until it gets off of B/O.

Hang in there, Brent! You Can Dew EET!!!

A barrel check will probably get you through just fine if you've not had problems in the past. Of course, in those times you're short on time it will be the back of you mind if you don't:laugh:. As Brent mentioned, most guys don't like the FCD with lead because it does size the lead down as well. I like it for that reason as my barrels seem to enjoy .451. Pretty sure I've seen you not have rounds settle in before. I thought it was just the Glock being a Glock but it possibly could have been ammo. :D I like it for that reason. I'll be putting together some jacketed loads for nationals and will tinker with the crimp setting then.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The odd part is they were so close together during the range time so I was basically pulling them from the same batch of collected brass.

Hmm, were we on the same squad at RB when the guy had 2 mags blow up and both times his brass was pretty much shrapnel? (He quit after 2). My guess was that his gun was firing too far out of battery.
    (I hate it that s.o.'s are supposed to stand right where the turds fly on right handed shooters. I understand it but just don't like doing it).

Bulged 45 at the base was a problem for me. Bought one of the super duper dies that the others have mentioned, also it was suggested that I make sure my other dies are adjusted down as low as was physically possible so I did that as well. Am not sure which fixed my problem, but something seemed to.
    I've got the size checker thingies (I can't help myself, engineers love gizmos of all shapes and sizes). On 45's some of my reloads flunk the thingie and they go into the practice only bag but so far none of those have caused any problem.

Top Bottom