• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hmm, imagine how much more quality time you'd get with the guy if you just stopped shooting all together!

They are only young once you know.

If that is the case I could totally use that to convince the wife I should be a stay at home dad :D I somehow don't think she would go along with that :(

I'm up for a classifier! Can't believe I'm saying that but I think I've learned to start loving it instead of dreading it.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    If that is the case I could totally use that to convince the wife I should be a stay at home dad :D I somehow don't think she would go along with that :(

I'm up for a classifier! Can't believe I'm saying that but I think I've learned to start loving it instead of dreading it.
    I've not shot anywhere near as much of as many of you guys, but I kinda enjoy the classifiers, assuming they don't take 12 hours to finish. :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've not shot anywhere near as much of as many of you guys, but I kinda enjoy the classifiers, assuming they don't take 12 hours to finish. :D

Yeah, the Uber Marathon Classifier is a bit of a drag but at last one, even in the snow, went pretty quickly! Grelber was cracking the whip on that one :D

rhinoroach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Evansville
    Seems like I remember some Jay say a few months back that WSSC might try to hold a classifier match in the summer, around August. Don't know if that's still the plan or not:dunno:

You are correct sir. We have a classifier scheduled for August 10th. Details by our July match.:draw:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, the Uber Marathon Classifier is a bit of a drag but at last one, even in the snow, went pretty quickly! Grelber was cracking the whip on that one :D

Freezing our silly arses off did seem to take the dilly dally out of us all.

Seems like somebody said they had seen things sped up by having extra targets & using clip binders to hold them in place. Something like shoot - replace targets - shoot again while other folks score & paste the targets just shot - lather - rinse - repeat.

Am hoping that WSSC won't be an adventure in endurance. If you can only shoot at 2 places, and there is another 40+ person turn out it could be a long August day.
    I tried optimism once and didn't like it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Something worked right at the last RB classifier (probably the cold) but we've all seen them run waaaay long there. I really don't know why. I've seen upwards of 60 guys run the classifier at Wilmore and we was over and done in under 3 hours.:dunno: This is with 2 bays set up for stage 1 and 2 bays set up for stages 2-3.

Just some thoughts for Jay, Jim and the WSSC crew that might help.

-Try to get an RSVP list to see how many you've got coming. If the number is small, set-up as usual will probably work fine. If the number is large, break the classifier into two time frames- some at 8am and another batch at 11am for example. Try to keep the largest group for later and put as many SOs through the first match that are willing to work the second match. Set-up can be done by the first group when they arrive.

-Jeff's thought of the rotating targets seems like a good idea although I've never seen it done.

-If targets are left standing try to dedicate at least 4 SOs to each bay. One runs the time, 3 score. There is really no reason for a bunch of guys to stare at targets while one guy scores. The guy with the timer brings the next shooter up and starts explaining the COF while scoring is happening. Then, all 4 go all drill sargent on the squad to paste:D

-It seems to me that a bunch of time is lost as shooters do magazine management during the classifier. The new rulebook allows for shooters to load their mags as they wish for the classifier. The current rulebook calls for division capacity and we've had some discussion on that. But, for smoothness mags in ESP and SSP can be loaded 9,12,9 for Stage 1 and 12,6,12 for stage 2. Division capicity for stage 3. This system does not put any gun outside of its division weight limit, so there is no advantage gained. Just a thought.

-Along these lines, any shooters that have mags that shooters with 1 or 2 mags can use will greatly help.

In any event, I know the WSSC guys will make it happen the best it can. Looking forward to it!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    In any event, I know the WSSC guys will make it happen the best it can.

They are indeed a competent, crafty, and creative bunch (comes with the shifty eyes I think).

Probably should not have commented, just remembered how long and painful and long and hot and painful our last rb summer classifier was. Being out in the heat from 8 - 6 (or whenever we got done) makes the cheese more binding.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Do people try to classify in more than one division on the same day? That could make it a long day

I've ran two before at RB. Personally, I think it's best to focus on one division. Better for the shooter and for others in the classifier.

When the new rulebook takes effect you'll get an automatic classification one class below your highest class, in every division.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Just a funny (or maybe not so much) post I read on the Enos forums from less than a year ago...

"Went to my first IDPA classifier yesterday. It took just over 4 hours to run 9 shooters through. " :faint:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've ran two before at RB. Personally, I think it's best to focus on one division. Better for the shooter and for others in the classifier.

When the new rulebook takes effect you'll get an automatic classification one class below your highest class, in every division.

Yeah, agree makes sense to stick with one, but so many guns, so little time!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah, agree makes sense to stick with one, but so many guns, so little time!

True! LOL! There was a time that classifiers were scarce in our parts, but word from the new RB is that at least 2 will be held a year (plus whatever secret classifiers they come up with:D). Plus WSSC is holding some, so it's not as critical to get as many divisions in at once as it was previously.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

That is entirely sensible and would be a welcome improvement (i.e. I'm not holding my breath).

"Went to my first IDPA classifier yesterday. It took just over 4 hours to run 9 shooters through. " :faint:

Sometimes it takes us that long just for the new shooters orientation . . . .

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Found some remmington # 1 1/2 small pistol primers at a local gun shop.

If you read the print on the side of the box is says not to use them on high pressure loads like 357 & 40:n00b: Seems like this would be in a large red warning label and the skull and crossbones would be a nice touch, rather than on standard size black print that nobody ever reads. :n00b:
    My assumption is that they probably should not be used on 9mm loads either if it is a pressure thing.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Found some remmington # 1 1/2 small pistol primers at a local gun shop.

If you read the print on the side of the box is says not to use them on high pressure loads like 357 & 40:n00b: Seems like this would be in a large red warning label and the skull and crossbones would be a nice touch, rather than on standard size black print that nobody ever reads. :n00b:
    My assumption is that they probably should not be used on 9mm loads either if it is a pressure thing.

It could be that the primer isn't hot enough to fully ignite all that powder in a magnum load? 9mm should be ok.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It could be that the primer isn't hot enough to fully ignite all that powder in a magnum load? 9mm should be ok.

Been snooping on the web. Consensus seems to be that:
    1. Older boxes of 1 and 1/2 did not have the warning about "high intensity pistol cartridges".
    2. The difference between their magnum (5 1/2) and 1 1/2 is only the thickness of the metal.
    3. Best post I found is below.

ebruary 25, 2010, 07:41 PM #9
    rock185

I have been reloading since 1967 and have used the Remington 1 1/2 primers, and other Remington primers, for a long time. In both Remington factory ammo and reloads using the 1 1/2 primer, I have experienced more pierced primers than with all other American brands I've ever used. In fact, I don't actually recall any pierced primers with any other American brand. This has occured in different guns and calibers over a period of years. Most pierced primers I have experienced have been in 9mm. This is with both factory ammo and my reloads using the primer in question. I used the 5 1/2 primer for a while in reloding the 9mm and the problem went away. Velocities and velocity spreads were not significantly different than when using the 1 1/2 primer. With some 9mm loads, velocities were lower with the 5 1/2 primer than with the 1 1/2 I'd previously been using. The 5 1/2 primers didn't display any primer flow/extrusion/piercing issues at all. There were no misfires with the 5 1/2, which I believe, uses a thicker and/or harder cup. I quit buying the 1 1/2 primer some time ago and glad for the info and the fact that Remington is now putting that warning on their box reference the higher pressure cartridges mentioned. ymmv

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Been snooping on the web. Consensus seems to be that:
    1. Older boxes of 1 and 1/2 did not have the warning about "high intensity pistol cartridges".
    2. The difference between their magnum (5 1/2) and 1 1/2 is only the thickness of the metal.
    3. Best post I found is below.

ebruary 25, 2010, 07:41 PM #9
    rock185

I have been reloading since 1967 and have used the Remington 1 1/2 primers, and other Remington primers, for a long time. In both Remington factory ammo and reloads using the 1 1/2 primer, I have experienced more pierced primers than with all other American brands I've ever used. In fact, I don't actually recall any pierced primers with any other American brand. This has occured in different guns and calibers over a period of years. Most pierced primers I have experienced have been in 9mm. This is with both factory ammo and my reloads using the primer in question. I used the 5 1/2 primer for a while in reloding the 9mm and the problem went away. Velocities and velocity spreads were not significantly different than when using the 1 1/2 primer. With some 9mm loads, velocities were lower with the 5 1/2 primer than with the 1 1/2 I'd previously been using. The 5 1/2 primers didn't display any primer flow/extrusion/piercing issues at all. There were no misfires with the 5 1/2, which I believe, uses a thicker and/or harder cup. I quit buying the 1 1/2 primer some time ago and glad for the info and the fact that Remington is now putting that warning on their box reference the higher pressure cartridges mentioned. ymmv

wow! That is quite a difference...it does beg the question as to why anyone would want to use the Rem 1 1/2 primer. To be honest, I don't think I have ever seen Remington primers or even known that they produced them. I've always been a CCI and Winchester fan so I never looked past those when buying.

Top Bottom