• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Speaking of classifiers, I decided to stay in Expert land a bit longer today at Bluegrass, missing MA by:

5.72 points (Score- 106.54):(

This is good and bad. Bad because I really wanted to get my "get out of ESR classifier for life" card. Good because 1) it wasn't a fluke a made an Expert run in March (hidden fear of mine:D) and 2) I'm almost certain I'll make MA next time unless the wheels completely come off or something.

Corey Estill didn't make it either. We squaded up and it was fun running with him today though. We traded stage wins back and forth through the match with tenths separating us. I doubt there's 4 points between us, whoever won neither got "stomped", which is good for me as that's always a concern when you run against a USPSA GM. Beautiful day for match too!

Sounds like an awesome time! Who ended up winning overall between you two? You should be able to hit MA; was there a particular part that threw you? I can pretty well pick out my trouble areas, especially after the last run lol. Picking up those few missing points should be a sure thing by the next time you have a shot at classifying. Get you some!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Scores aren't out yet, so I'm not sure. He had a bad first stage, nailing a non-threat and yanking a penalty. I had two stages with lite strikes that put me into another reload. Other than that, the results I looked at had us back and forth a 1/10 here and a 1/10 there. It's impressive to me that a guy that doesn't shoot revolver all the time ran as well as he did. But, he told me that he dryfire practices with his CZ in double action, so really all he had to brush up on was reloads. Plus, and I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but just about any of the better revolver only guys can pick up a semi and instantly be competitive. Very few semi guys can pick up a revolver and be competitive. He can, and for that I give him props.

As to the classifier, I decided to perform my customary miss of the first stage, first string headshot, so that didn't help. I got a terrible grip after the reload on the first string which landed 2 points down. Both of those can be corrected. I think more than anything I should have shot the first stage more aggressively. I think it came out around 35, when it should be 30. So, I plan to just push there a bit harder next time. Stage 2 was under a MA run, stage 3 was 1 second behind an MA run. So, neither of those need to change- it's always the first stage that gives me trouble.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Scores aren't out yet, so I'm not sure. He had a bad first stage, nailing a non-threat and yanking a penalty. I had two stages with lite strikes that put me into another reload. Other than that, the results I looked at had us back and forth a 1/10 here and a 1/10 there. It's impressive to me that a guy that doesn't shoot revolver all the time ran as well as he did. But, he told me that he dryfire practices with his CZ in double action, so really all he had to brush up on was reloads. Plus, and I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but just about any of the better revolver only guys can pick up a semi and instantly be competitive. Very few semi guys can pick up a revolver and be competitive. He can, and for that I give him props.

As to the classifier, I decided to perform my customary miss of the first stage, first string headshot, so that didn't help. I got a terrible grip after the reload on the first string which landed 2 points down. Both of those can be corrected. I think more than anything I should have shot the first stage more aggressively. I think it came out around 35, when it should be 30. So, I plan to just push there a bit harder next time. Stage 2 was under a MA run, stage 3 was 1 second behind an MA run. So, neither of those need to change- it's always the first stage that gives me trouble.

What is it about that first stage/first string that seems to kill? I know that is what has busted me right from the get go. Last classifier for me was awful all the way around but that first stage/string does it to me every time!

I am going to be hurting. I won't be able to make the next RB IDPA match due to my son's soccer game. Game is at 9 and since the adjusted earlier start times are what they are ill be missing it. And I found out that I am going to go on a trip for work and be gone during the WSSC match :( it will be until May before I will get to shoot my next IDPA match.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I am going to be hurting. I won't be able to make the next RB IDPA match due to my son's soccer game. Game is at 9 and since the adjusted earlier start times are what they are ill be missing it. And I found out that I am going to go on a trip for work and be gone during the WSSC match :( it will be until May before I will get to shoot my next IDPA match.

Join the club there, buddy! :D
    Wait... don't you mean June? :rolleyes:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    When is the next classifier at RB or WSSC?

Stopped in Meeks on the way down to eville today and got a box of 9 and they just put out cci mini mags so I got 2 since ruger says that is the only thing that will function in the Sr22 I bought the wife.

The Sr22 Pistol? Not sure where you heard about running nothing but minimags, but that's not true. Rugers design goal was that it will run anything.
    Mine and another one I'm aware of certainly meets this nicely.
    They both eat cheap bulk Remington, bulk Federal or bulk CCI just fine.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    The Sr22 Pistol? Not sure where you heard about running nothing but minimags, but that's not true. Rugers design goal was that it will run anything.
    Mine and another one I'm aware of certainly meets this nicely.
    They both eat cheap bulk Remington, bulk Federal or bulk CCI just fine.

Quoted from the papers by the tech at ruger after getting the gun back from them. "Use of cheap bulk ammo will cause gun to malfunction. Could not reproduce problem owner stated. Ran 100 rounds of cci mini mag through owners magazine flawlessly. No repairs made."

Tried to run two types of Winchester, rem, and federal and nothing went a mag without a malfunction. Damn near every round is a fte. Brass never leaves the chamber. It's at ruger again now as brass finally got really stuck in the chamber.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Kids, work, IDPA...you've GOT to get your priorities straight my friend:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Made a journey to Owensboro. You can now buy 5000 small pistol Winchester primers per visit and 5 lbs of powder (or 8 lbs if you happen to get lucky and find an 8 lb jug of Bullseye :) ).

Primers were 35 / 1000 which is more than I'm used to but still less than $ 0.01 per round more, and the powder I was interested in seemed like it was at the pre nutzo prices.

Seemed like positive stuff.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Made a journey to Owensboro. You can now buy 5000 small pistol Winchester primers per visit and 5 lbs of powder (or 8 lbs if you happen to get lucky and find an 8 lb jug of Bullseye :) ).

Primers were 35 / 1000 which is more than I'm used to but still less than $ 0.01 per round more, and the powder I was interested in seemed like it was at the pre nutzo prices.

Nice! Thanks for the head's up! hard part to find now is bullets :xmad: I've got enough to last for a bit and with having to miss some shoots it's helping but that isn't exactly how I wanted this year to go. I was hoping to double up on the number of matches I shot last year and it just isn't working!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Nice! Thanks for the head's up! hard part to find now is bullets :xmad: I've got enough to last for a bit and with having to miss some shoots it's helping but that isn't exactly how I wanted this year to go. I was hoping to double up on the number of matches I shot last year and it just isn't working!

Furnace, mold, lead and quit :(

Oh, wait, Glocks can't eat lead. Sorry...yeah, you'll just have to go without. My Smiths will keep plenty of lead rounds downrange in your absence:laugh:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville

I'm assuming this would be Whittaker's you would be referring to. I should probably make a jaunt over and see about picking up some powder. You didn't happen to notice if they had any Lee molds did ya? :D

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    What caliber?
    Well, specifically I've been looking for 9mm and/or 45acp 6-cav molds, but I'd prob take doubles if they presented themselves... 125 and 230gr (RN or TC would prob be ok). If anyone happens to see any for sale at "random_shop_01" around the Evansville area, a heads-up would be greatly appreciated. :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Well, specifically I've been looking for 9mm and/or 45acp 6-cav molds, but I'd prob take doubles if they presented themselves... 125 and 230gr (RN or TC would prob be ok). If anyone happens to see any for sale at "random_shop_01" around the Evansville area, a heads-up would be greatly appreciated. :D

I'll keep an eye out! You find yourself a furnace or anything else yet?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'll keep an eye out! You find yourself a furnace or anything else yet?

Tuckers didn't have the one you mentioned when I checked Sat. I think I can dig a pro-4 up online easier than finding molds.

I'm still debating on tumble lube vs pan lubing, and if I will need sizing dies.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Tuckers didn't have the one you mentioned when I checked Sat. I think I can dig a pro-4 up online easier than finding molds.

I'm still debating on tumble lube vs pan lubing, and if I will need sizing dies.

Good luck! I'll still keep an eye out for you. It figures that all that time the furnace sat there at Tucker's and when I finally remember to mention it to you somebody else grabs it!

Top Bottom