• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I did a little spring tweekin on one of my 625's today and decided to work up a new load. It's nothing special, just a Lee 230gr RN TL sized to .452, 3.9gr Clays, 125oal, ran through a Lee Factory crimp die at the end. I suspected this round would tumble because I cranked the FCD down pretty tight- but to my glad surprise, all was well. Watched carefully for bullet setback because that's been an issue on my loads, but everything held well- this is good. Average on chrony was 172pf, and this is good as well. But the main thing is that MAN this round laser accurate! Stood at 15 yards and slow fired 5 rounds into a half-dollar size hole. The 6th round, because I know you're wondering, decided to fly about and inch low- must have been a stubborn bullet.:D

The bad thing about an incredibly accurate round is that you KNOW any screw-up is completely your fault:laugh: And I did screw up:( When doing some practicing I noticed shots going low. Seems to be that I have conditioned myself to hoss down on the trigger when it was set to 8+ instead of the somewhere silky sooth 6lb it is now. Did a dry-fire on the target immediately after it at speed and, yep, the fiber optic dipped about halfway down during the trigger pull.

Time for more practice! My other 625 is with bosshoss as we speak and I hope this round works as well in it as my PC. Every barrel is different, but we'll see. It's definitely the round I'll go to the outdoor nats with if I get to go.

ETA: I know most of you are bottom feeders, but should you happen to come across a n-frame MIM serated trigger, let me know. I want to experiment with one.

Last edited:

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I wish I was reloading... I have projectiles, powder, and brass but no dies. I passed on some RCBS dies at Meek's a couple weeks ago thinking I could order a lee set online, now I cant find them in any LGS or online... I was really hoping to work up a nice reliable load this weekend ahead of the next redbrush shoot.

Oh well

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I really want to tweek my reloads but it is set and not broken so i am loathe to change it lol

I was thinking today of the load I'll run through my soon-to-be M&P45:D I've got a feeling my current 45 loads would be a beast in it. I'm just guessing, but putting loads designed to make 170+ in an "open" system into a "closed" system would seem to ramp things up. But, it sure will be nice to have that spring and plastic eat up the recoil for me:laugh:

Not so nice scattering my 45 brass all over the range for the rats:noway:

I wish I was reloading... I have projectiles, powder, and brass but no dies. I passed on some RCBS dies at Meek's a couple weeks ago thinking I could order a lee set online, now I cant find them in any LGS or online... I was really hoping to work up a nice reliable load this weekend ahead of the next redbrush shoot.

Oh well

I'll be stopping in at a LGS in the next couple of days. They usually carry a lot of reloading stuff and I'll check then for you. You're looking for 9mm, right?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I was thinking today of the load I'll run through my soon-to-be M&P45:D I've got a feeling my current 45 loads would be a beast in it. I'm just guessing, but putting loads designed to make 170+ in an "open" system into a "closed" system would seem to ramp things up. But, it sure will be nice to have that spring and plastic eat up the recoil for me:laugh:

Not so nice scattering my 45 brass all over the range for the rats:noway:

I'll be stopping in at a LGS in the next couple of days. They usually carry a lot of reloading stuff and I'll check then for you. You're looking for 9mm, right?

The positive side is you have some excellent pasters that you bring with you, setting them on brass duty would be an easy task! I think you'll still be pretty good with you 170PF using the 230 grain bullet. I think mine were somewhere around 168PF using my 200 grain rounds and both the Smith and the Glock seemed to like those a lot. Obviously 230 is the 45s favorite and you cast so you'll be good to go from the start.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The positive side is you have some excellent pasters that you bring with you, setting them on brass duty would be an easy task! I think you'll still be pretty good with you 170PF using the 230 grain bullet. I think mine were somewhere around 168PF using my 200 grain rounds and both the Smith and the Glock seemed to like those a lot. Obviously 230 is the 45s favorite and you cast so you'll be good to go from the start.

That's right! I'll have to teach the kids now to stomp on anyone ratting around for my brass. Just like their father does:rockwoot::laugh::laugh:

With some more thought, I agree, I don't think it will be a problem- hopefully the same load is accurate in bottom feeder. I forget there's a lot of recoil absorption going on with semis.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was thinking today of the load I'll run through my soon-to-be M&P45:D I've got a feeling my current 45 loads would be a beast in it. I'm just guessing, but putting loads designed to make 170+ in an "open" system into a "closed" system would seem to ramp things up.

230 grain rn plated 4.7 bullseye

1911 (full size) - 732 avg
    Revolver - 695 avg

Same everything except gun.

For what it is worth.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    230 grain rn plated 4.7 bullseye

1911 (full size) - 732 avg
    Revolver - 695 avg

Same everything except gun.

For what it is worth.

Interesting. That load has to be beefed up to make PF in ESR but makes it by 3000 in CDP. I thought the spread might hit around 100fps difference but I guess not.

I'm not quite up on "full size" terms for 1911s. Is that a 4" or 5" barrel?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I know it borders on being outright un-American, but I have never liked the 1911. One's grip is just too far below the barrel and the grip itself seems miniscule. I like to have the web of my hand as close to the bore axis as possible. I have a disdain for all safeties on a handgun, especially external ones, but the 1911 makers decide not to put one, but TWO. And single stacked 8+1, seriously:rolleyes:. A guy just as well shoot revolver.

But, most guys are winning now with M&Ps, so it's all good.:D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So which is it, by the way? I see "commander" 1911s for sale all the time- are those fullsize or does the 1911 have a "general" for full size? What about compact 1911s? Are those called sarg or something?

:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So which is it, by the way? I see "commander" 1911s for sale all the time- are those fullsize or does the 1911 have a "general" for full size? What about compact 1911s? Are those called sarg or something?

:D

LOL !! I believe Government, Commander and Officer are the full, compact and subcompact of 1911.

I do love everything about the 1911 and the are a joy to shoot. I used to think that a gun had to be walnut and steel to be a proper pistol until I gave the ol' Glock a try. One I had the G21 in my hand, I had found what I was looking for. The M&P is actually more like the Glock that the 1911. You have to go Springfield XDm to get a 1911-feeling polymer piece.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I know it borders on being outright un-American, but I have never liked the 1911. One's grip is just too far below the barrel and the grip itself seems miniscule. I like to have the web of my hand as close to the bore axis as possible. I have a disdain for all safeties on a handgun, especially external ones, but the 1911 makers decide not to put one, but TWO. And single stacked 8+1, seriously:rolleyes:. A guy just as well shoot revolver.

But, most guys are winning now with M&Ps, so it's all good.:D

Like I said before, I love everything here is about a 1911. The history, the look, the trigger. So much goodness in there. But, nothing gives me pleasure like the sound of a high-dollar 1911 going down while my $500 plastic just keeps on chugging :D lol

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    9mm is right. I would greatly appreciate a lead on a set of dies if someone sees one.

Thanks for looking

Made the trip today, but negative on the 9mm dies. Sorry man.

BUT, something great did happen while I was there:D I looked on the floor and low and behold they had a Dillon 550 with all the goodies laying there, new in the box. Snatched her up along with a few conversion kits- GOOD-BYE LEE HAND PRESS:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Pics once I get her set-up tomorrow:rockwoot:

I might need to get some captain of crush grippers to keep my hand strength up now:laugh:

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton

BUT, something great did happen while I was there:D I looked on the floor and low and behold they had a Dillon 550 with all the goodies laying there, new in the box. Snatched her up along with a few conversion kits- GOOD-BYE LEE HAND PRESS:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

I might need to get some captain of crush grippers to keep my hand strength up now:laugh:

You are going from a skate board to a Ferrari. Congratulations on that.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for dies. I ordered a set of Hornady dies from Natchezss, but it said they will not ship till next week. Hopefully I can pick up a box of 9mm from WM between now and the next RB match to get me by until I can reload.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

congratulations on the new reloader! You won't know what to do with all that extra time not spent hand-cranking all those rounds out!

Top Bottom