• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Speaking of chrono checking, I probably need to get with one of you fine fellers that has a chrono so I can try my .45 again. I know we were having a ton of problems getting them to run correctly and I want to make absolutely sure that what I've loaded will make power no matter what division I'm shooting in.

That does bring me to a question about that. Some guns can shoot in multiple divisions like the Glock 21 and the M&P45. If I were to go to a sanctioned match and sign up to shoot CDP and for some reason my ammo only made 164,000 power factor, could I change my division to SSP in order to compete?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That does bring me to a question about that. Some guns can shoot in multiple divisions like the Glock 21 and the M&P45. If I were to go to a sanctioned match and sign up to shoot CDP and for some reason my ammo only made 164,000 power factor, could I change my division to SSP in order to compete?

If you bring plastic for CDP to a sanctioned match I think they will make sure that you dq for something.

It's sorta like being invited to a Royal wedding and showing up wearing your underwear on the outside.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you bring plastic for CDP to a sanctioned match I think they will make sure that you dq for something.

It's sorta like being invited to a Royal wedding and showing up wearing your underwear on the outside.

And what better reason to do it! :rockwoot::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm totally going to Rock The Glock in .45 in July! Hopefully in October, too. I'll need myself a bullet order between now and then or I'll be on the SSP train!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Speaking of chrono checking, I probably need to get with one of you fine fellers that has a chrono so I can try my .45 again. I know we were having a ton of problems getting them to run correctly and I want to make absolutely sure that what I've loaded will make power no matter what division I'm shooting in.

No worries. Seems like Mr. Expert ran mine against his & concluded that they were either both wrong or both right.

I'm not up to speed (:)) on how much velocity you will loose due to higher temps in July ???

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Let me know I can bring my chrono to a match sometime.

To the second issue, well it kind of goes like this. There are major matches and then there are MAJOR matches. At a major match, no one would probably care for a division change. At a MAJOR match, you have to change within so many weeks (I think 4) of the match. Young feller messed up at nationals last year. He planned to switch from ESR to SSR on match day. Wrong answer. He couldn't change and he didn't bring his ESR gun. Thankfully, a fellow ESR shooter that shot the day before loned him gun, holster, ammo, etc so he could shoot the match.

You'd be surprised. Every CDP division champ at major matches I've been to save for one won the division with an M&P45. That includes the indoor nats:cool:

Same for every ESP champion at majors I've shot. All of them save one was won with an M&P9- including the indoor nats:cool::cool:

Of course, if I ever got serious in CDP or ESP, I'd definitely go metal. It would be all the justification I need to get a sweet STI or S&W 1911, 2011.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No worries. Seems like Mr. Expert ran mine against his & concluded that they were either both wrong or both right.

I'm not up to speed (:)) on how much velocity you will loose due to higher temps in July ???

Yep! Same two chronies showing the same thing. I knew I was either doubly in or doubly out:laugh: Thankfully, registering an average of 180pf, I was safe at nats:D

Nothing will be lost in hotter weather or heavier humidity. It's cold, dry weather where you start loosing. But, even then, keeping things about 5pf above the power floor should keep you safe.

BUT, I'll just add this info for anyone's benefit messing around with pfs. The most important thing is just to make sure your ammo is over the power floor. There's really little difference in recoil, etc from 115pf to 145pf. Tinkering around to get things lower will not always help your actual shooting:twocents:

That's your Expert tip for the day:joke:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That is why I was wanting to chrono this time of the year since you'll only gain velocity in the warmer months. You make power in Jan you'll make in in July :D I'm pretty confident that I'm over but I want to make absolutely 200% certain. I was getting readings of 845 when they'd actually clock and that puts me at 169-ish. I'm going to load a ton of 9mm but when it's time to switch back to .45 I want to make sure I'm set and have to make no changes just before a match.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Nothing will be lost in hotter weather or heavier humidity. It's cold, dry weather where you start loosing. But, even then, keeping things about 5pf above the power floor should keep you safe.

:joke:

Careful guys some powders are reverse tempature sensitive. Pressure and velocity go up in the cold and down in the hot.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Careful guys some powders are reverse tempature sensitive. Pressure and velocity go up in the cold and down in the hot.

I've heard that about Ramshot and n320 (??). But really, in my opinion, if you're running so close to the pf that any temperature/humidity variation puts you under, you're running too close- BEEF IT UP:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So is anybody pulling anything new or different out of the range bag this time out? I hear about all the roundy-round guns being bought but still haven't seen all that many!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So is anybody pulling anything new or different out of the range bag this time out? I hear about all the roundy-round guns being bought but still haven't seen all that many!

Thinking about running this on Saturday. Would it be considered ESP? :laugh:
    Broomhandle+with+ammo.JPG

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I was seriously considering running SSR this time, mainly for primer conservation. But, since I hit a good load of LPP yesterday I've ditched that idea:D

You can expect the same old awesomeness from me Saturday:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So is anybody pulling anything new or different out of the range bag this time out?

I think I'm going to stick with the red holster mojo for a few consecutive matches (Fusion 40) & see how that works.

Wheel gun maybe next year after working with it more in the off season, trying to pull that trigger at reasonable speed is more difficult than I figured.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think I'm going to stick with the red holster mojo for a few consecutive matches (Fusion 40) & see how that works.

Wheel gun maybe next year after working with it more in the off season, trying to pull that trigger at reasonable speed is more difficult than I figured.

So you found there's more to it than counting to six:laugh:

Keep working with it man! If nothing else it will make you a better shooter of all things bottom fed:yesway:

I might see if I can drum up a revolver squad at RB. Scott did one a while back and it was a blast!

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    I was seriously considering running SSR this time, mainly for primer conservation. But, since I hit a good load of LPP yesterday I've ditched that idea:D

You can expect the same old awesomeness from me Saturday:D

Mt Vernon outfitters had some primers. Small pistol magnum that he didnt even have the prices jacked up. ~32$/1000.

I accidentally loaded a bunch of 9mm's with some last month and they shoot like regular. I shot the last three matches with them.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Mt Vernon outfitters had some primers. Small pistol magnum that he didnt even have the prices jacked up. ~32$/1000.

I accidentally loaded a bunch of 9mm's with some last month and they shoot like regular. I shot the last three matches with them.

My experience with magnum primers is +10fps on the load. Got a chance a few years back two get into about 10k of them on sale. Glad I did. :yesway: Shortly after I changed to 45acp, thus I still have about 10k of the spmp:laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom