• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Some are so cliquish that they turn their backs on new people.

Most competitive shooting clubs will be very welcoming to new shooters. If they're not, they won't be around long. As far as clubs in Evansville, Westside Sportsman Club will happily welcome new shooters with open arms. They're the friendliest club here. Red Brush has a good mix of your tactical Timmy types and more down to Earth types. The guys running the matches are on the upper competitive edge and can be a little high strung at times but they are alright guys, just don't expect big open arms to welcome you. If you make it down, let us know who you are and you can shoot with the Cool Kids Squad we're you'll feel very welcome. Mike Basden (dustydawg) is probably the most welcoming SO a guy could ever squad with.

Ok, maybe we are a little cliquish :).
    Try either and I suspect you will have a good time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My experience as a ultra new shooter: RO/SO were the best. They took the time to educate and make sure all firearm movement was safe. I applaud them for their patience with my humbling errors. As far as grouping, you cant go wrong. Just don't be the guy who refuses to paste.

I paste even when I come to watch.

Well, I recognize friendships are made which is fine. I am a friendly type of person and I can track with most anyone. Even CASS shooters!:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Don't let him fool you, we are all douches! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you do get the opportunity to come down, please do! What is the famous sign "50 pretty girls and 2 ugly ones" well we have 50 cool people and only 2 a-holes to speak of! LOL

1st and 2nd Saturday's of each month are Red Brush and WSSC's IDPA matches respectively. start times are 9:00 for sign ups, 9:30 New Shooter and 10:00 start for RB and 10:00, 10:30 and 11:00 for WSSC.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Once I get a home purchased and moved in, I'll make it down. It probably won't be until it gets warm again at this point. My guns are all at my brother's several states away until I get out of my tiny apartment.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Come down, give us a try. Almost always a group of new shooters at each match. You will learn quickly whom you jive with and want to squad with again. Just listen for the one or two folks doing the most talking, that will likely be the cool kids squad. ;)

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I trust everyone had an excellent Christmas and New Year's? Anyone debuting anything new? This should be an interesting match coming up for me, I bought some different powder and will be shooting a new round plus I've changed all the springs except the recoil spring in my gun so there should be plenty of chances for failure coming up! :D

Trying out Power Pistol and I was floored but just how much velocity I'm getting out of it. According to my Speer manual 5.2 grains is their starting load but I was coming up with almost 143,000 PF with that! Trimmed it down to 4.3 and 4.4 grains and was still getting an average of 1050 fps during a 30 degree day which still works out to be about 130,000 PF.

And the Ghost connector and trigger/striker springs made a HUGE difference but I discovered much like I did with my .380 rounds, you have to insure all primers are completely seated or there is a failure. The trade-off is hitting each round with a hand primer before they go into the box for a much lighter and sweeter trigger pull. IF all goes off without a hitch on Saturday I'm more than happy to make that trade!

I think your chrono is broken. ( or mine is)
    I was running about 5.4-5.6gr I believe. Can't remember if I ever got around to running power pistol through my chrono, I need to check that.

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Once I get a home purchased and moved in, I'll make it down. It probably won't be until it gets warm again at this point. My guns are all at my brother's several states away until I get out of my tiny apartment.

WSSC is holding a match this Saturday, I'm Master of Disaster this month. The stages are freshly posted for the gamers on our website. We are introducing some new reactive targets that will be familiar to anyone who shot the Kentuckiana Kolonel.

We hope to see you and everyone else reading this at our match. It might be a little chilly but no rain or mud.

Westside Sportsmans Club - PAS and IDPA Results

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think your chrono is broken. ( or mine is)
    I was running about 5.4-5.6gr I believe. Can't remember if I ever got around to running power pistol through my chrono, I need to check that.

I was stunned to get the results that I did when I ran them. It cycled everything fine (did 10 rounds of each drop in .2 grain increments) and now the 2nd test is to run the WSSC match with the 4.4 grain loads and see how it goes. 4.5 grains of Unique was giving me about the same results so I'm not too surprised to see that PP was similar...but WAY cleaner!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My guess is it will be cold as heck if the "Tactical Timmy's" meet up with TJ :).

Should be fun to watch!

Downright frigid indeed.

Unfortunately I can't make this Saturday and I kind of wanted to. But, Lord willing, I should be able to make the rescheduled RB match- tactical Timmys and all LOL.

It will be fun to watch. I haven't picked up a handgun that was outside of the 44/357 variety since October. Probably need to correct that....and maybe load some ammo before the 17th. Maybe the powers that be will deliver an edict for we revo guys by then so we'll at least know what division to put on the scoresheet.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just as a sidebar and for your complete amusement, the Tiger Team I'm on had to "make and produce a less than 5 minute video" on certain rules in IDPA. I got concealment and took the opportunity to subtly show my chagrin for wiping out ESR. I probably should have read through the new rulebook before making it and talked about things like not putting patches over pockets and keeping a pocket flap in the pocket. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_yOKZEwyg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    WSSC is holding a match this Saturday, I'm Master of Disaster this month. The stages are freshly posted for the gamers on our website. We are introducing some new reactive targets that will be familiar to anyone who shot the Kentuckiana Kolonel.

We hope to see you and everyone else reading this at our match. It might be a little chilly but no rain or mud.

Unfortunately, I am not equipped to shoot right now since most of my stuff is either buried in storage or at my brothers in TN. I will have to wait until late Winter, early Spring at this point. I talked to my daughter who lives in E'ville. She is excited about my wife and I coming down there once a month. I can go shooting and they can hang out together.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon

Will there be hot chocolate and donuts?:bacondance:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You are thinking of Grelber! He likes the fluffy stuff!

Sometimes when your ears start to go, you don't understand everything that is said & you get to where you really like that. The internet is like that too.

Anyway.
    Anybody got the Ben Stoeger dry fire book? Would like to thumb through & see if it looks like something I might actually get some use out of.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sometimes when your ears start to go, you don't understand everything that is said & you get to where you really like that. The internet is like that too.

Anyway.
    Anybody got the Ben Stoeger dry fire book? Would like to thumb through & see if it looks like something I might actually get some use out of.

No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once!

If you do get a chance to flip through it let us know what you think. I've always kicked around expanding my library of shooting books but between the cost and how much info in actually available for free on the web it makes it hard to justify some of the costs.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I've read on various forums, peeps mentioning using Stoegers book. I'd assume it must have some decent info.

Seems like he had some free erudite texts out there, maybe excerpts from his book.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom