• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Where is Red Ghost Guns? Never heard of them.

Some folks on the revo-nation forum have been using Clay Dot since no one can get Clays right now. I'd like to try some.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Where is Red Ghost Guns? Never heard of them.

Some folks on the revo-nation forum have been using Clay Dot since no one can get Clays right now. I'd like to try some.

Google beats Grelber as far as reliable directions go, sort of on the way to WSSC for you I think.

BossHoss told me about Clay Dot when I was asking around for some more Clays, and then I read more similar comments on the net. I ended up preferring Bullseye for 45's but Clays for low power factor 40 loads.
    One thing I like was that a 1lb can of Clay Dot is actually 1lb instead of 14 oz's.

They also had some Bullseye in stock but I didn't think to ask how much.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I thought last time I was there he said he had quite a bit of Bullseye. I almost got some but had never loaded it for 9mm. Plan was to find either a replacement 9mm powder for my Unique or to find something to use until I could get more of it. If everything functions well the next 2 matches I'll most likely stick with Power Pistol for 9 and leave the Unique for my .380 and work up a .45 ACP load with it...or I could be all Old School and pick up a few pounds of Bullseye and be right back where I started with my 230 grain .45 ACP round.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Google beats Grelber as far as reliable directions go, sort of on the way to WSSC for you I think.

BossHoss told me about Clay Dot when I was asking around for some more Clays, and then I read more similar comments on the net. I ended up preferring Bullseye for 45's but Clays for low power factor 40 loads.
    One thing I like was that a 1lb can of Clay Dot is actually 1lb instead of 14 oz's.

They also had some Bullseye in stock but I didn't think to ask how much.

Thanks, Brian sent me directions too.

I don't think I would mind other powders in 45 if I was shooting a semi. The problem you run into when running 45 in a revolver is that if the entire charge isn't burned you start getting unburnt powder under the ejector star which will put an end to your shooting right now. When I first started reloading I was using universal which was terrible about this in 38 and 45. Not so much an issue with bottom feeders. If Clay Dot can burn up like Clays then I might have found a new powder.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks, Brian sent me directions too.

I don't think I would mind other powders in 45 if I was shooting a semi. The problem you run into when running 45 in a revolver is that if the entire charge isn't burned you start getting unburnt powder under the ejector star which will put an end to your shooting right now. When I first started reloading I was using universal which was terrible about this in 38 and 45. Not so much an issue with bottom feeders. If Clay Dot can burn up like Clays then I might have found a new powder.

On a similar note, is it the Federal primers that are supposed to be the softest/kindest for guns that have had trigger work done? Isn't that what you recommend for your 625?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    On a similar note, is it the Federal primers that are supposed to be the softest/kindest for guns that have had trigger work done? Isn't that what you recommend for your 625?

Correct. My 625s are "Federal Primer Only" guns. Any revo that has had action work to bring the pull down under 6lb really needs Federals. Under 6 and Federals are required.

I'm curious, why do you ask? Looking to get into a wheelgun?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Correct. My 625s are "Federal Primer Only" guns. Any revo that has had action work to bring the pull down under 6lb really needs Federals. Under 6 and Federals are required.

I'm curious, why do you ask? Looking to get into a wheelgun?

Not just yet. Did a complete spring replacement in the Glock, including the striker spring, and with the striker spring change I've gotten 3 light strikes. The pull is so much lighter that I'm looking into different options in order to keep it as light as it is. I think initially and most likely I just didn't have my primers seated fully for the FTF. I've loaded up some more and haven't had any issues but I won't feel like I've gotten it completely ironed out until I've shot a couple of matches with the new configuration. If I keep having issues I might try some Federal primers to see if they are kinder to the lighter pull.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Meh, I don't care for the idea of having to switch to brand X primers exclusively in order to take 1/4 lb. off the pull via spring swaps, at least on a semi...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah, when guns get tuned from factory spec they start getting all kinds of dramatic about everything:laugh:

Just FYI learned from a lot of pain and suffering, if the problem has been high primers, Federal won't change anything. The only thing that helps high primer rounds is having enough mass and velocity in the firing pin to seat the primer and dent it to go off. So, hoss down on the press when priming or go to a hand primer and I think you'll be in good shape.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, when guns get tuned from factory spec they start getting all kinds of dramatic about everything:laugh:

Just FYI learned from a lot of pain and suffering, if the problem has been high primers, Federal won't change anything. The only thing that helps high primer rounds is having enough mass and velocity in the firing pin to seat the primer and dent it to go off. So, hoss down on the press when priming or go to a hand primer and I think you'll be in good shape.

I believe wholeheartedly that will solve whatever problem. Tt was apparent in my .380 loads that I didn't have them seated enough and once Brent and Brad picked out a few I finished the match and then paid extra attention to the priming process which seems to have cured it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Meh, I don't care for the idea of having to switch to brand X primers exclusively in order to take 1/4 lb. off the pull via spring swaps, at least on a semi...

But, but, that's no fun when gaming it all you can.

He was able to change striker springs from the lighter 4# back to the factory 6# while at the range. VERY noticeable difference on trigger pull. Changed his grouping's quit a bit.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    But, but, that's no fun when gaming it all you can.

He was able to change striker springs from the lighter 4# back to the factory 6# while at the range. VERY noticeable difference on trigger pull. Changed his grouping's quit a bit.
    Haha, since when do we shoot for tight groups in our sport?
    Leave the factory striker spring and put a bic lighter spring in place of the trigger return spring (assuming glocks have those).

Brian's XDM triggers were way nice, but not sure if I'd want that lack of take up that I'm used to without having my loads tuned down all rabbit farty.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Man, I don't know if I'm excited to shoot on Saturday or not. I worked all week in the frigid cold, not sure if I want to do it yet another day.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Haha, since when do we shoot for tight groups in our sport?
    Leave the factory striker spring and put a bic lighter spring in place of the trigger return spring (assuming glocks have those).

Brian's XDM triggers were way nice, but not sure if I'd want that lack of take up that I'm used to without having my loads tuned down all rabbit farty.

You been listening to my rounds huh. ;)

I hear some of the new rules will require 1" groupings on head shots at 25yds.

My old thin skin keeps telling me Saturday is not sounding fun.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ain't no time like the present to field test everything at once! New powder, new springs, new range bag, new shooting glasses! Sub-Arctic temperatures...what could possibly be a downside to all of that? :D

Top Bottom