• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Man, tired after today's match. Were some pretty cool & challenging COF's. Not really worried about the snafu with the shoot house, live & learn. Really liked shooting the SA 5.25 for the 1st time, need some more time on it. Really accurate but pulled quite a few shots due to the long trigger I think.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Man, tired after today's match. Were some pretty cool & challenging COF's. Not really worried about the snafu with the shoot house, live & learn. Really liked shooting the SA 5.25 for the 1st time, need some more time on it. Really accurate but pulled quite a few shots due to the long trigger I think.

And how about the weather? When was the last time we had a September shoot that wasn't 140 degrees outside! We had a fantastic squad too! We had the best pasters! Thanks to Jay and Greg for SOing and score keeping plus everybody for helping all e way around! Cannot wait for wssc's match next week!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Any of my fellow LNL owners have any issues with rust?
    I've had my press up for about a week or two, just ran a few dummy rounds and checked powder drops, no actual live rounds completed. I was getting ready to move it to my new bench and apparently the powder measure linkage, sides and round surface of the pistol rotor, baffle inside the measure (underneath actual powder) and top of my shellplate have all started to develop small, light patches of rust. It's kind of disheartening to see that on a press that has only been out of the box for a couple weeks. I followed the manual and videos to a tee, hosed the crap out of everthing with One Shot degreaser and wiped down. Press was mounted on a board, clamped to an unused dining room table... it's not like it was in a damp, dark basement.

I wasn't really surprised to see some on the turret, as a lot of Lee stuff is lower cost, known for being made of lower quality pot metal, etc... but this is really bugging me now. I know I kinda have super salt touch, but damn... that fast? I took some steel wool and scotchbrite and CLP to it, hopefully that will help a bit. I'm wondering if change of location to it's intended home will be any better/worse. :dunno: :noway: :xmad:

No rust here. I'd be surprised if CLP doesn't cure it for you.

Last edited:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I must take my hat off to all those who came early and set up that courses of fire. I really enjoyed all of them. Plenty of challenge, movement, and blasting away -the silhouettes never saw IT coming.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    No rust here. I'd be surprised if CLP doesn't cure it for you.

Yeah, I went through and CLP steel wooled everything that had a slight brown discoloration. Also, the press has moved to its permanent home on a bench in a different room, now that I've found a level spot for it. I'm hoping that simply moving to a different room with do the trick.

It was a bit weird getting used to the smooth, yet molasses feel of the ram after greasing those zerks. :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Not really worried about the snafu with the shoot house, live & learn.

I really hate snafu's.

Shot a level 2 or 3 or whatever USPSA match near Lexington in March ("Battle of the Bluegrass" or something like that). Came on Friday (the r.o. & other help shoot day) and the r.o. traveled with the squad they shot with sort of like the way things are done at our matches. Last stage before lunch and like 9 out of 11 guys had shot it. Match director came by and told us we had read the instructions different than they were intended so we had to reshoot. So we reshot for a detail that didn't make diddle for difference & ended up with no lunch as we got there behind everyone else & not enough food was ordered.
    Similar thing on the next to the last stage but not such a big deal as the r.o.'s (we had like 8 of them on our squad) got into a squabble about the directions on the front end & just held up shooting until we got the straight poop from a higher power.

Anyway. Go to a big match (on the main day not the help shoot day) & everybody gets the same instructions because the gotcha's have been worked out the day before & everyone shoots the same stage under the same s.o. / r.o. .

Go to a local match and the traveling r.o. / s.o. folks all try to deal with questions that might come up in a pre match walkthrough & make sure everyone shoots the stages as they were designed / agreed to in the walk through. But, instructions can always be better and memories can always be better, so oopsies will happen now and then.

In my humble opinion :).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Go to a local match and the traveling r.o. / s.o. folks all try to deal with questions that might come up in a pre match walkthrough & make sure everyone shoots the stages as they were designed / agreed to in the walk through. But, instructions can always be better and memories can always be better, so oopsies will happen now and then.

In my humble opinion :).

true! What I have to hope for in this case is how this issue is resolved by the MD of the match. From what I understand an entire squad is being given multiple PE penalties whether or not a particular shooter was guilty of an infraction and the situation is exacerbated by the fact that the stage had no written course description.

Across the board and for multiple reasons, I believe the results from that stage be thrown out and only the remaining stage results count towards the team standings. That is my $0.02 but then again I am not an MD.

On the up note, there were several great COFs and I hope to see some of those again.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    On the up note, there were several great COFs and I hope to see some of those again.

You like any of the bay 2 stuff? Have a selfish interest in asking as that was way easy to set up & tear down, but if it wasn't fun do not want to repeat. Other thing, playing s.o., I'm more relaxed on courses where I can see the whole cof and know everyone is clear, you kept me from maybe letting things get started too soon at the house one time . . . . .

The procedurals thing is above my pay grade, but I'm all for whatever results in minimal butt hurt for everyone (ok, if you get a little butt hurt I can live with that :) ). It is all Brent's fault for mentioning butt hurt at last years Music City Cup & getting bad mojo in the air.

Other thing. Don't know what to do about it. New shooters - good. New shooters who have not been schooled in the basics of generic gun safety - not so good. It is 100% aok not to know the IDPA rules or to make the human errors we all make, but a match of any sort seems like the wrong place for basic gun safety 101 stuff.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Yeah, I went through and CLP steel wooled everything that had a slight brown discoloration. Also, the press has moved to its permanent home on a bench in a different room, now that I've found a level spot for it. I'm hoping that simply moving to a different room with do the trick.

It was a bit weird getting used to the smooth, yet molasses feel of the ram after greasing those zerks. :D

Maybe you should purchase a Hygrometer to see where the humidity level is in your house. If you have a basement, the upstairs could suffer from high humidity as well. You want it below 50%.
    That's two different things you've mentioned now with rust issue's.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You like any of the bay 2 stuff? Have a selfish interest in asking as that was way easy to set up & tear down, but if it wasn't fun do not want to repeat. Other thing, playing s.o., I'm more relaxed on courses where I can see the whole cof and know everyone is clear, you kept me from maybe letting things get started too soon at the house one time . . . . .

The procedurals thing is above my pay grade, but I'm all for whatever results in minimal butt hurt for everyone (ok, if you get a little butt hurt I can live with that :) ). It is all Brent's fault for mentioning butt hurt at last years Music City Cup & getting bad mojo in the air.

Other thing. Don't know what to do about it. New shooters - good. New shooters who have not been schooled in the basics of generic gun safety - not so good. It is 100% aok not to know the IDPA rules or to make the human errors we all make, but a match of any sort seems like the wrong place for basic gun safety 101 stuff.

Yes! Bay 2 stuff was good, fun and would be insanely easy to take down and leave the clothes line as is for the next time you'd want to run that particular COF.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    :twocents: from a guy that wasn't there:D

Don't know what the problem was with the match (not saying I want to know the details, just observing). My thoughts: it's a local match, who cares.

Read over the email from DonO and sort of put together the team idea. Not as cool as I thought it would be, but different and kind of cool, I guess. I was thinking more along the lines of a team having a shooter in every division or ESP teams vs SSP teams, etc.

OK, I'll go back to the woods now....

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Out of the woods for these comments:D

Mike has informed me of the match issue and copious handing out of PEs. Let me just say to anyone that reads this post, the stage in question just needs to be tossed- period. Seems like this is a good time for me to state again that SO walk throughs need to come to an end. Let the MD take all competitors and SOs to each COF, explain it, take questions, and there's no issue and nothing to interpret. Also helps the match run a lot faster. Bluegrass does it this way and they run more shooters through on more courses of fire and finish hours earlier. I know it seems like taking everyone through would take too long, but it seriously can't take any longer than the typical RB SO walk through.

To the SO involved in this issue, you're one of the better SOs I've been around and without doubt we all know you try to do everything right. Just wanted to encourage you to keep on keeping on.

Also, I amend my above statements about not taking this to heart as it was a local match. I understand now that this played in with the team deals going on and that does elevate a bit.

OK, back to the woods for me.:D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Anyway. Go to a big match (on the main day not the help shoot day) & everybody gets the same instructions because the gotcha's have been worked out the day before & everyone shoots the same stage under the same s.o. / r.o.

Good advice. I've seen the folks on help/shoot days get burned by some minor detail more than once.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, 25 secs in penalties. Even without the 2 PE's in question not one of my better matches. 2 Non threats & an FTN. Must slow down. 1st match with that pistol, only a few hundred rounds through it. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it :):

Going to be doing a ton of dry fire between now & Sellersburg.

Kisada, that M&P likes you, nice match.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Out of the woods for these comments:D

Mike has informed me of the match issue and copious handing out of PEs. Let me just say to anyone that reads this post, the stage in question just needs to be tossed- period. Seems like this is a good time for me to state again that SO walk throughs need to come to an end. Let the MD take all competitors and SOs to each COF, explain it, take questions, and there's no issue and nothing to interpret. Also helps the match run a lot faster. Bluegrass does it this way and they run more shooters through on more courses of fire and finish hours earlier. I know it seems like taking everyone through would take too long, but it seriously can't take any longer than the typical RB SO walk through.

To the SO involved in this issue, you're one of the better SOs I've been around and without doubt we all know you try to do everything right. Just wanted to encourage you to keep on keeping on.

Also, I amend my above statements about not taking this to heart as it was a local match. I understand now that this played in with the team deals going on and that does elevate a bit.

OK, back to the woods for me.:D

Seems like there are pro's and cons to whatever you do. Encouraging some of the less ambulatory folks to walk the stages a second time, taking everybody's time instead of having the walk through over with before start time , and trying to deal with maybe 50 people at once (especially on stages like the house) might bind the cheese in its own special way :).

I can't think of a downside to inviting everyone who is signed up and ready ahead of time & who wants to hear to come along though. Seems like there might be a match upside as well as a training upside.

Decisions wise, I'm old and persnickety & never completely agree with anyone on anything, but for all volunteer sports (this or kids baseball or whatever you are into) I'm big on sweat equity. Whoever puts in too much work so the rest of us can play will make decisions that I do or don't agree with & it just is what it is. People who coach youth teams should all get medals, or at least a free pass if they lose it on a parent some day, in my opinion.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Are the scores out? would somebody mind sending them to me? I guess they keep sending them to my old email address because I'm not getting any scores. PM me and I'll give you an email address if they are out.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    for all volunteer sports (this or kids baseball or whatever you are into) I'm big on sweat equity. Whoever puts in too much work so the rest of us can play will make decisions that I do or don't agree with & it just is what it is. People who coach youth teams should all get medals, or at least a free pass if they lose it on a parent some day, in my opinion.

+10

Top Bottom