• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    No quitting here, still shooting about 2 hours per week, practicing draw and grip about three nights a week. Trying to get the 1911 warmed up but just cant get past the unexplained lack of interest in this firearm, everytime I spend time with it I want my XDM back in my holster, so with that distraction I dont know if I will get far with this CDP run. I have heard tell of soggy undies comes with age, just sayin.:rofl:

Lolol

I keep trying to get motivated but something always comes up. I doubt I'll be in top form come Sellersberg but I might be able to make the push in the next 2 months. I'm getting distracted much more easily this time around!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No quitting here, still shooting about 2 hours per week, practicing draw and grip about three nights a week. I have heard tell of soggy undies comes with age, just sayin.:rofl:

Since you are in form, you should be going to the Indiana state USPSA match next month!! And yea, personal dignity is somewhat short lived.

I keep trying to get motivated but something always comes up. I doubt I'll be in top form come Sellersberg but I might be able to make the push in the next 2 months.

Seems like frequent hard butt kicking is what it takes to make me want to practice, multiple weekends with no shooting and the sting gets all healed over. I suspect you and Brian will slap me by 30 seconds or so at the next RB match and maybe that will help get the juices flowing to try and get ready for the Kolonel. Ragweed does not help things either.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Since you are in form, you should be going to the Indiana state USPSA match next month!! And yea, personal dignity is somewhat short lived.

Seems like frequent hard butt kicking is what it takes to make me want to practice, multiple weekends with no shooting and the sting gets all healed over. I suspect you and Brian will slap me by 30 seconds or so at the next RB match and maybe that will help get the juices flowing to try and get ready for the Kolonel. Ragweed does not help things either.

The Grelber Slapping does get one motivated to do one's best! :D I've sort of found that rut where you can't improve unless you spend time at the range and finding that time has been difficult here lately at best. Missing the RB Classifier and then working the WSSC Classifier, although I had a great time at WSSC, has sort of taken me out of the proper mindset of prepping for Sellersberg. Plus I've been really digging the BUG stuff here lately and have been obsessed with picking up a new holster for the G42, reloading supplies for .380 and putting together some COF's for WSSC's BUG match in Sept.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon

I need info on that USPSA State match, are you going?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I need info on that USPSA State match, are you going?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iana-uspsa-championship-spaceballs-match.html

Going Fri-Sat with Don O, don't know of any other of the usual suspects headed that way (:nailbite: ). I think Fri-Sat has slots open & maybe Sat. Famous Dave's barbecue is the best I've ever tried (5 miles from range) and BossHoss says there is another close place that he likes better (always ask a local trucker or revolver person about good restaurants).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Since we are in danger of going almost 24 hours without a post, I'll take one for the team and keep us bumped :D

I do have a question for you, Jeff... Bullet seating depth. Does it affect velocity? Had 2 similar 9mm rounds, both with the same powder and powder drop. One bullet was seated slightly deeper than the other and there was a different in the chrono numbers but not in the way I would have expected. what have you found out with your extensive chrono testing?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've still got some of the Montana 147's as well as the new ones Looney and I shared. I haven't had particularly good luck with the 147's and Titegroup from the bit of testing I've done, maybe 124gr will end up my go to weight.
    I also picked up a pound of that new Hodgdon CFE to try out. Don't really care about the "copper eraser" part of it, just figured I'd try something that's literally brand new this year.

What's the issue with the 147s? I've been shooting MG 147's and titegroup at matches for sometime now, no issue's that I'm aware of.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Since we are in danger of going almost 24 hours without a post, I'll take one for the team and keep us bumped :D

I do have a question for you, Jeff... Bullet seating depth. Does it affect velocity? Had 2 similar 9mm rounds, both with the same powder and powder drop. One bullet was seated slightly deeper than the other and there was a different in the chrono numbers but not in the way I would have expected. what have you found out with your extensive chrono testing?
    Not Jeff, but I've noticed some strange variations as well... like longer OAL test rounds showed a higher FPS than a few loaded shorter, which is counter-intuitive to me.
    What's the issue with the 147s? I've been shooting MG 147's and titegroup at matches for sometime now, no issue's that I'm aware of.

I wouldn't really call it issues, but if I remember right, the CZ was dropping 147s a touch low compared to 124's, which doesn't make sense. As I understand, lighter weight bullets tend to have a lower POI because of less barrel time as the muzzle rotates back.
    I can't really comment on the M&P as everything hits low for me with it currently. :dunno:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Not Jeff, but I've noticed some strange variations as well... like longer OAL test rounds showed a higher FPS than a few loaded shorter, which is counter-intuitive to me.

All other things being equal shorter oal=greater pressure=faster fps.

Problem is, powders are not equal, thus making the whole thing unequal. If case capacity changes the burn curve changes and so the fps changes. A guy can use the same powder, same weight and so forth but sit one bullet longer and the other shorter and have the shorter round crank out less fps even with more pressure. Also, seating the bullet deeper can sometimes decrease pressure in certain powders. He could also go another .001 deeper and have a velocity or bring it back out .003 and have an fps gain.

More an issue with auto pistol rounds than any other. In rifle rounds or straight-wall pistol cartridges it probably won't show up unless there's something really different about the powder.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

For example:

STI Eagle , 40 cal, 5.7 Power pistol, 180 Grain Bayou bullets, a delightful spring day and I think I was wearing blue socks with jeans and a casual pocketed tee.

1.2 oal = 944 fps avg

1.18 oal = 955 fps avg

1.13 oal - 981 fps avg

Like TJ said, your mileage may vary but I have seen the numbers trend the same way every time I've change oal only.

Felt guilty enough to do a little soaked dry fire practice last night and a little bit of actual fire this a.m.. Seems like the break was maybe a good thing?

Plans are to do the team match thing at the next RB match. Hope folks have some fun with it, really kind of just like a normal match except if you are lucky or shoot well you may get a prize.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    RUST!

Any of my fellow LNL owners have any issues with rust?
    I've had my press up for about a week or two, just ran a few dummy rounds and checked powder drops, no actual live rounds completed. I was getting ready to move it to my new bench and apparently the powder measure linkage, sides and round surface of the pistol rotor, baffle inside the measure (underneath actual powder) and top of my shellplate have all started to develop small, light patches of rust. It's kind of disheartening to see that on a press that has only been out of the box for a couple weeks. I followed the manual and videos to a tee, hosed the crap out of everthing with One Shot degreaser and wiped down. Press was mounted on a board, clamped to an unused dining room table... it's not like it was in a damp, dark basement.

I wasn't really surprised to see some on the turret, as a lot of Lee stuff is lower cost, known for being made of lower quality pot metal, etc... but this is really bugging me now. I know I kinda have super salt touch, but damn... that fast? I took some steel wool and scotchbrite and CLP to it, hopefully that will help a bit. I'm wondering if change of location to it's intended home will be any better/worse. :dunno: :noway: :xmad:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have some on the powder drop cylinder but I think I didn't quite get it coated well enough with the Teflon/one shot but it doesn't boer me enough to pull it and do something about it...that is the only place I have had any form though.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Well that was a short and quick answer. I thought about it, TJ seemed to have good things to say about it in the past, but I hear there was some fiasco(s) last year?

I thought it was one of the better majors I've attended, but I might be biased because I got some special treatment being on the Supersquad (running in the least populated division can open so many doors;)). Seriously though, it did pay off- more on that in a second.

I think the MCC got a bad rap last year for a couple of things that gone blown way out of proportion. One came where the MD handed out an FTDR to a shooter after the fact. We had a stage, my squad's second of the day, where you had to grab mags but could not stow them in carriers. The SOs were VERY clear that doing so would earn an FTDR. Some guy, don't know who, did in fact stow them and he SOs gave him a PE. Somehow or another the MD spoke with that shooter later, shooter told what he did, MD gave an FTDR----exactly as the course description said would happen.

Then we had a standards stage where the SOs were saying that 50% of the bullet hole had to be in the scoring circle. Clearly this is wrong. I shot the stage and had a hit counted as a miss. Morgan Allan and Kirk Crego (both DMs) argued my case and I was awarded the hit. Supersquading has its benefits but I'm sure a lot of shooters had misses counted when those shots actually did break the line.

The one that got the most attention was a shooter that got dq'ed for something at equipment check, which occurred after or at the shooter's last stage of the day. Shooter ended up winning some SS class and got a bump because the final dq'ed folks tally hadn't reached the stats shack. He stayed for the awards and took his trophy when he knew that he had been dq'ed. Several folks later made a huge deal of this, but I see this as a reflection on the shooter more than match or the MD.

IMO, all these things were taken way further on interwebs chatter than was warranted. I believe it was presented this way because the MD, a friend of mine, has no problems whatsoever telling folks that complained about bogus stuff that they should not come back to the match next year. That's really what fueled all of it. Plus he is a Tiger Team member and an AC.

The 50% hole deal was wrong, no doubt, and I knew the SOs that was running it so I hope they learned from that mistake. It was a great match, well ran with a KILLER prize table the best I've seen at any match.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    IMO, all these things were taken way further on interwebs chatter than was warranted.

For the just shoot and have fun crowd I did not see any of this making any difference. Although apparently it must have upset a couple folks. As far as stages & etc I think maybe it was the best match that I've been to.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    What you said above pretty much sounds like what I deducted from a couple different forums. I think the FTDR seems a bit heavy handed for a stage penalty/something that can easily be done by the most experienced shooter, but it was stated in the description, no arguing that.

Bullet hole thing just sounded like some SO's needed to re-read the book.

The award DQ thing sounded like it should never have happened, and hanging out to get an award that apparently wasn't deserved is just in bad taste.

Back on subject, are you thinking about going, Jeff?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Back on subject, are you thinking about going, Jeff?

Sent in the paperwork Saturday, last day before the price goes up from 75 to 100 I think.

Twixt this and the Kolonel, October should be a fun month, which is good because I think it is like April 2015 before anything interesting comes up again.

Would be neat to find a match some slightly warmer but not totally ridiculous distance away place in January / February, maybe Alabama or some such nonsense.

Top Bottom