• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Would like to shoot a bit of ssp but more than that I want to shoot production class in USPSA. Tried it a little bit 1st part of the year & 10 rounds seemed like a near maximum fun place to be.

Really don't know what groups I'm getting on the other guns. My pass fail test is whether or not I can make free hand head shots at 25 yards (caveat, when I'm shooting my best) if I can do all hits when I don't mess up then I call it good. If I can't stay on the head shots then I start the painful process (for me) of trying to get scientific about what is going on & messing with different loads & yadda yadda yadda. A ransom rest would be a wonderful thing, else trying to be really focused shooting from a rest is something I avoid, it is difficult to be the same day to day & my eyes fatigue fairly quick & all that stuff. With the good XD and the STI's I can pass the test (gun slop + Jeff slop < miss) without getting marginally close to the break lines, with the other XD's, not so much.

You are going the long way around the barn when it comes to buying that Glock you keep avoiding :D One day, you just say the day, I'll let you borrow my G34, mags, holster and all that and then you can stop all this searching for Gun Nirvana :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Would like to shoot a bit of ssp but more than that I want to shoot production class in USPSA. Tried it a little bit 1st part of the year & 10 rounds seemed like a near maximum fun place to be.

Really don't know what groups I'm getting on the other guns. My pass fail test is whether or not I can make free hand head shots at 25 yards (caveat, when I'm shooting my best) if I can do all hits when I don't mess up then I call it good. If I can't stay on the head shots then I start the painful process (for me) of trying to get scientific about what is going on & messing with different loads & yadda yadda yadda. A ransom rest would be a wonderful thing, else trying to be really focused shooting from a rest is something I avoid, it is difficult to be the same day to day & my eyes fatigue fairly quick & all that stuff. With the good XD and the STI's I can pass the test (gun slop + Jeff slop < miss) without getting marginally close to the break lines, with the other XD's, not so much.

It should make a great production gun (new barrel accepted of course). Gotta admit, never thought anyone else did that accuracy test but me. Tells me all I need to know.

:bacondance:

Don't let the USPSA guys figure that one out.

:D

I wonder if Ruger didn't somehow start all the gun wars and is just setting back waiting for the dust to settle after they wipe each other out :D LOL

Nah, they're too busy handling recalls for something that nefarious. :)

Recent HQ emails have confirmed our suspicions that BUG guns will actually be BUG guns after November.

I'm gaming it while I can:laugh:

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    Tripp magazines website used to (may still) have a neat super high speed film clip of a 1911 being fired. Slide was about 30% of the way back when the bullet cleared the barrel if memory serves. I think it is a bit like rifle accuracy, you accept that the rifle barrel moves during the shot but you do what you can to insure the movement is consistent. That is a bit of a left handed tangent to finding and fixing a problem of excess motion though.

A neat starting point is to call a manufacturer and find out what they deem to be acceptable on your particular gun. A full size XD (4" or greater) is deemed acceptable by Springfield if 5 shot groups do not exceed 3.5" at 25 yards, shorter barreled guns and the pass fail point goes to 4.5", on my first XD I got lucky and the gun will group as good as you can shoot it (about 1 7/8" 5 shot 25 yard on a factory supplied target), on my 5" XD's I'm a lot closer to the 3.5" spec.
    I'm assuming the spec's for M&P would be similar to the XD but it would be a good thing to know for sure.
    Personally I think 3+ inches sucks dirty pond water so my XD is off to the factory for a match barrel, that is more of a what is important to you thing than a what you really need thing though.

I may have gotten lucky on my new XDM 5.25, 1.5" -2.0" groups at 25 yards freestyle, very impressed with gun but more impressed that I can do my part, I dont feel that im that good.:flasher::banana:

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    No. If it's set up like nats there will be two divisions- ssp and ssr. The highest class you hold in either category will be used. For example, I don't hold an SSR classification, but I'll still be shooting as an SSR/MA.

There's no separate classifications for BUGs.

It will be interesting to see come the first quarter of next year how they change the BUG rules, if at all. A lot of folks think that gun sizes and categories will be changed. Maybe...until then I plan to flat out game it with a 3" 686:laugh:
    Is there a 686 for sale anywhere by chance?:thatshot:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I may have gotten lucky on my new XDM 5.25, 1.5" -2.0" groups at 25 yards freestyle, very impressed with gun but more impressed that I can do my part, I dont feel that im that good.:flasher::banana:

You're feeling is right, you're not the good- not even close- it's all the gun.

Just imagine how those groups would tighten up with a Smith (not Brent's evidently, but everyone else').

:laugh:

I shot a Springfield once at WSSC to go through a "you can't do that" dare on a mover. Nice feeling gun, chambered in 40. I shot excellently with it until I needed to reload. Stupid thing wouldn't autoforward so I looked for trash can.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Interesting! Any official notes as to the exact wording or changes they are looking at? Will it be a weight limit or a BUG box?

No, as with all things IDPA it will be debated to death, rumored to death and then finally a RB will come out. As of now no one has any clue what they'll want to change. Joyce just said that "slightly smaller than full sized guns" would be outed, so we need to get out "your real back-up guns".

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There is some serious shaping up for some Gun Brand Wars here! The M&P was coming on strong there for a bit but it seems Springfield is making the big gains all around!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Is there a 686 for sale anywhere by chance?:thatshot:

None that I'm aware of in a shop but I've got a few guys thinking hard about giving their 686s up. Only bad thing is that these are 7 rounders, which are the second most useless revolvers made for games (the first is the 7 round 9mm).

Do have my eye on an auction with a 3" 686 chambered in 38, 6 shot. When the rules change I'd be happy running that in SSR if I ever stop being so cheap I can't handle loosing brass (unlikely),

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    There is some serious shaping up for some Gun Brand Wars here! The M&P was coming on strong there for a bit but it seems Springfield is making the big gains all around!

:laugh: It seems to be that the XDs are good guns. In competitions I definitely see more Glocks choke than anything else, but that is probably because they are just more of them on the field. Can't recall seeing an M&P choke, although I did see a guy try real hard to blow one up one time. He failed.

Funny thing is that I've seen more actual breakages from STIs than any other gun on the field. Jim had problems keeping his running Saturday too- but that was probably just Jim.

I think the only Rugers I've seen played are Looney and Caleb Giddings.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    You're feeling is right, you're not the good- not even close- it's all the gun.

Just imagine how those groups would tighten up with a Smith (not Brent's evidently, but everyone else').

:laugh:

I shot a Springfield once at WSSC to go through a "you can't do that" dare on a mover. Nice feeling gun, chambered in 40. I shot excellently with it until I needed to reload. Stupid thing wouldn't autoforward so I looked for trash can.
    I knew it, ALL gun:): there are three things that I wish could be better about the XDM, or should I say that I could adapt to better, but am warming up to it nicely, I have shot arround 16 matches with it and acquired expert in ssp and esp with it also, other than my failures(that I blammed on the gun) XDM has been very dependable.:alright: There has been so much G34 bashing that im having Glock withdrawals now, think im gonna get mine back out and just go crazy fast with it, just hope I dont get so worked up that I drop it. I do actually shoot better with G34 than XDM, or at least I did.:shoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :laugh: It seems to be that the XDs are good guns. In competitions I definitely see more Glocks choke than anything else, but that is probably because they are just more of them on the field. Can't recall seeing an M&P choke, although I did see a guy try real hard to blow one up one time. He failed.

Funny thing is that I've seen more actual breakages from STIs than any other gun on the field. Jim had problems keeping his running Saturday too- but that was probably just Jim.

I think the only Rugers I've seen played are Looney and Caleb Giddings.

I've tried to blow up just about everything I've shot before I think LOL I'm of the opinion that if you change more than 50% of a gun's parts it can no longer be referred to as a "X" gun. My first trip to Lewisport and in my squad there was some diversity...I may have been the only Glock shooter in the squad! 1911's had the most issues and then there were a few feeding issues with the 2 M&Ps there but the revolver, the CZ and the Glock made it through with flying colors!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've tried to blow up just about everything I've shot before I think LOL I'm of the opinion that if you change more than 50% of a gun's parts it can no longer be referred to as a "X" gun. My first trip to Lewisport and in my squad there was some diversity...I may have been the only Glock shooter in the squad! 1911's had the most issues and then there were a few feeding issues with the 2 M&Ps there but the revolver, the CZ and the Glock made it through with flying colors!

Feeding issues with the M&P? They suck too. I'm going cz. Corey Estill shoots CZ and he's a GM. It's got to be the gun.

Fairly sure I've seen more open guns (1911, 2011) choke in USPSA than any other.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    Gun must suck then if you've only made EX. You'd have MA with your titles if you had an M&P.

OUCH!....challenge accepted, if I can acquire an m&p pro 9mm for a match I will give it an honest run, it makes no difference to me the name as long as it performs flawlessly!.......and NO not yours Kisada!:hooked:LMAO!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Feeding issues with the M&P? They suck too. I'm going cz. Corey Estill shoots CZ and he's a GM. It's got to be the gun.

Fairly sure I've seen more open guns (1911, 2011) choke in USPSA than any other.

Or you could go Beretta! From what everybody has been talking about there is about to be a big batch of them, used, on the market from the Army :D

I think we can come up with an M&P Pro in no time! might not be the 5" version, though, but it's a shooter and has never let me down!

Top Bottom