• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So...following up on the Kolonel, you may recall me whining about several instances of the pistol failing to go to slide lock. It had happened to me in the past, most frequently when I would switch between the xd and the 1911 and caused by riding the slide release with the strong hand thumb. I was confident I had practiced that booboo out of existence but at the Kolonol, no slide lock.

Have been practicing a lot since then and now realize that I am NOT riding the slide release with the strong hand thumb. No, I've introduced an entirely new booboo. I am now gripping the pistol very high & forward with my support hand and pinching hard so that my palm is contacting the slide release and, tada, no slide lock.
    Good news is problem identified.

I changed my extended slide release out on the G34 for the standard because my gun hand thumb would be right over the top of the extended portion of the lever. It was also the reason I ditched my SIG P226 was because of where the slide release was...right under my gun hand thumb. Interesting bit of trivia but I believe Bob Vogel has a similar problem because of his incredibly high and agressive grip...he said he feels the downside (possibility of no slide lock) is far outweighed by his ability to grip the gun high and tight to help control recoil.

Are you still considering trying out a different gun? Might be the design of the gun lends itself to doing that with your style of grip. Just whatever you do, don't alter it so much to one gun that you won't be able to do it with your other gun. The good part is you have it identified and can now work to fix it.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I changed my extended slide release out on the G34 for the standard because my gun hand thumb would be right over the top of the extended portion of the lever. It was also the reason I ditched my SIG P226 was because of where the slide release was...right under my gun hand thumb. Interesting bit of trivia but I believe Bob Vogel has a similar problem because of his incredibly high and agressive grip...he said he feels the downside (possibility of no slide lock) is far outweighed by his ability to grip the gun high and tight to help control recoil.

Are you still considering trying out a different gun? Might be the design of the gun lends itself to doing that with your style of grip. Just whatever you do, don't alter it so much to one gun that you won't be able to do it with your other gun. The good part is you have it identified and can now work to fix it.

Th xd is a fairly compact gun so it may just be that I can't grip it like that, or deal with the results as TJ suggests. I think it's correctable ...However...
    the plan has always been to give the G17 a try after Sellersberg. If the issue crops up with this platform too...then I'll just change my grip!

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If the issue crops up with this platform too...then I'll just change my grip!

I never understood why s.o.'s are taught to stand on the shooters strong hand side until I saw folks using the weak hand forward grip. Eventually, when the forefinger first digit gets just a wee bit out too far, that has to make one really nasty splatter.

More important stuff (whatever directly effects me), screwed up and tried a hoity toity fishing jacket. Unfortunately they do work. Am going to have to say a sad goodby to ole ratty.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I never understood why s.o.'s are taught to stand on the shooters strong hand side until I saw folks using the weak hand forward grip. Eventually, when the forefinger first digit gets just a wee bit out too far, that has to make one really nasty splatter.

More important stuff (whatever directly effects me), screwed up and tried a hoity toity fishing jacket. Unfortunately they do work. Am going to have to say a sad goodby to ole ratty.

What!?!?!? Are you seriously going to tell us that we are going to see you in new shoes AND a new cover garment!? The world is coming to an end...it is official!

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana

Falls under the "Bad decisions make great stories" category.

Do NOT retire it until we get it on camera please

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What!?!?!? Are you seriously going to tell us that we are going to see you in new shoes AND a new cover garment!? The world is coming to an end...it is official!

Heck, if we live long enough, you might even see me with a new umbrella :p.

Did break my heart that the stupid fishing vest actually was definitely better, 5.11 tactical, black (for some reason pink or red wasn't available). [h=1][/h]

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Falls under the "Bad decisions make great stories" category.

Do NOT retire it until we get it on camera please
    Will you be manning the camera again this month? :D
    Heck, if we live long enough, you might even see me with a new umbrella :p.

Did break my heart that the stupid fishing vest actually was definitely better, 5.11 tactical, black (for some reason pink or red wasn't available).

Woohoo! You and I both stepped up fashion-wise. I picked up one of the ever-popular Redhead $30 vests on the way back from the Kolonel. I think the XL fit me better, but Mike insisted it didn't quite cover at the waist, so I'll be wearing the slightly baggier version.
    If nothing else, it'll be nice to have a place to drop mags/brass/etc. that isn't my jean pockets, as well as a paster pocket. :laugh:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Maybe I should look at the vests but I just can't bring myself to wear one. I'll just have to stick with the unpopular fishing shirt!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Hmm....sounds like we've got enough old cover garments now between myself, Jeff and Brent to offer some cool props at a WSSC match.

COF: "IDPAers Gone Rogue"
    No way am I giving up my sweet hawaiian button-ups to a firing line! :p
    Maybe I should look at the vests but I just can't bring myself to wear one. I'll just have to stick with the unpopular fishing shirt!

Vests are kinda dorky, but useful... and a little less annoying to get on/off on a whim. And it fits on top of pretty much anything I could wear, save for a big winter coat.
    It is inevitable! The vest calls and cannot be denied! :D
    True dat.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm....sounds like we've got enough old cover garments now between myself, Jeff and Brent to offer some cool props at a WSSC match.

COF: "IDPAers Gone Rogue"

:)

What got me there was the way they are much easier to keep clear of for draws and reloads, I tested this on a calm day while standing straight but I think the vest might prove even more better on those days where you have the weird sitting starts or a tailwind or you are twisted to the same side as the mag you want to grab.
    Ole Ratty was good to me and we share many fond memories of screwing up and cussing together, but it will be nice to cut down on the times that you grab for a mag and come back with half mag and half garment. Your fishing shirt might work a lot better than what I was using though.

Besides, now I can stand in front of a mirror for practice & pretend to be Mike or TJ :rockwoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :)

What got me there was the way they are much easier to keep clear of for draws and reloads, I tested this on a calm day while standing straight but I think the vest might prove even more better on those days where you have the weird sitting starts or a tailwind or you are twisted to the same side as the mag you want to grab.
    Ole Ratty was good to me and we share many fond memories of screwing up and cussing together, but it will be nice to cut down on the times that you grab for a mag and come back with half mag and half garment. Your fishing shirt might work a lot better than what I was using though.

Besides, now I can stand in front of a mirror for practice & pretend to be Mike or TJ :rockwoot:

I have a really cool Cardinals baseball jersey and it is light enough to not smother you in the heat and long enough to cover anything you might need...but it suffers from that same problem of being light enough to not smother you. It find its way around you in the slightest breeze and won't stay out of the way very long when you whip it around to get to the gun on the draw. I really liked it and even saw a few shooters that wore some customized jerseys and thought about doing that myself but the best is just too useful. The old ones like TJ and I had were almost a little TOO vesty; they had WAY too many pockets and pouches and you could literally lose 100 rounds of spent brass in there for months at a time.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Tack sequence.

If somebody shoots P1-P2-P3-P1-P2-P3 (or any variation that results in one round in every target and then one more round in every target) instead of P1-P2-P3-P3-P2-P1 , do you see that as a procedural?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Tack sequence.

If somebody shoots P1-P2-P3-P1-P2-P3 (or any variation that results in one round in every target and then one more round in every target) instead of P1-P2-P3-P3-P2-P1 , do you see that as a procedural?

I don't believe it is. It might be faster to go 1-2-3 then 3-2-1 since you are already lined up with T3 but I don't believe there is a stipulation that you have to work 1-2-3 and then 3-2-1. I know you can't miss T2 and the make up a shot on him before engaging everyone else so you couldn't go 1-2*miss*-2-3 then 3-2-1 you'd have to come back and hit them 1-2-3 3-2-1-2 in that order making the one you missed the last make up shot. I know that has nothing to do with your question but I figured since I was here :D

Tactical Sequence: A method of target engagement. For Tactical Sequence, all targets must be
    engaged with one round each befo
    re being engaged again. In the case of three (3) targets requiring two
    (2) rounds each, all targets must be engaged with one round to each target
    before
    reengaging the targets
    with another round in any order (1-1-2-1-1). Tactical Sequence may not be used

for targets farther than 10
    yards. Tactical Sequence may not be combined with Tactical Priority (near to far or from cover) on the
    same targets. Tactical sequence is only required when it is specified in the stage description. Make up
    shots must come a

fter each target has been engaged with at least one round.

It doesn't say T1 T2 and T3 it just lists the sequence not which target you have to engage.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I don't believe it is. It might be faster to go 1-2-3 then 3-2-1 since you are already lined up with T3 but I don't believe there is a stipulation that you have to work 1-2-3 and then 3-2-1. I know you can't miss T2 and the make up a shot on him before engaging everyone else so you couldn't go 1-2*miss*-2-3 then 3-2-1 you'd have to come back and hit them 1-2-3 3-2-1-2 in that order making the one you missed the last make up shot.

We are looking at this the same way then, I could see maybe doing things a bit different if there was a reload involved sometime or having to call or non call somebody, so I figured I'd sanity check.

Barring nasty rain or the year of the range berm repair, RB ain't missed an IDPA Sat yet since I've been paying attention (none of that WSSC scrap booking stuff happens on the east side) . The show will go on, I just don't know who is running things this time, likely Matt or Scott or another of the Golden Oldies.

Top Bottom