• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Yeah, I like the idea of consistency, keeps we new guys kosher when heading to our first and later big matches.

Btw, what exactly is a "inter parathion" anyway? Some kinda Rifts character or maybe Ralph Partha mini? :laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I like the idea of consistency, keeps we new guys kosher when heading to our first and later big matches.

Btw, what exactly is a "inter parathion" anyway? Some kinda Rifts character or maybe Ralph Partha mini? :laugh:

Parathion, also called parathion-ethyl or diethyl parathion, is an organophosphate compound. It is a potent insecticide and acaricide. It was originally developed by IG Farben in the 1940s.Wikipedia

That wasn't obvious??

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Parathion, also called parathion-ethyl or diethyl parathion, is an organophosphate compound. It is a potent insecticide and acaricide. It was originally developed by IG Farben in the 1940s.Wikipedia

That wasn't obvious??

What he said! Sometimes auto-correct is an imbecile! LOL I guess that is what you get typing that far past your bedtime lol

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sure hope we are on for today. I have a long drive and a friend from work is bringing his son to see a match for the first time. Give an email or something if anyone hears differently.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just heard an official word. He match for today has been canceled but there will still be some people up there shooting steel if a person would like to get in a few shots on a rainy day.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Well this kinda sucks. Even though I don't need to classify, I was hoping to get some shots on paper, see if last month's technique changes have stuck with me.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm trying to get it out of my system before Oct 19th!

I'd make sure to bring up the berm vs ground during any SO meeting or walkthrough. I've done it at the ground since I've started; it was the way I was talked through it so there should be a friendly reminder before each one until everybody gets it down pat. Technically the SO should be clearing the gun at their pace and directing the shooter; and the shooter should be listen to exact instructions from the SO, so if the SO says point at the berm and pull the trigger I think we are good. You could argue that the SO didn't properly clear you.

But good idea to get it all out of the way and into the open prior to the Sellsersberg match.

Exactly how I was taught by Mat V when I started. I actually got called out by him for NOT pointing at the ground a time or two.
    And how it was explained at the new shooters walk through I attended. Gonna be tuff to change it.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Exactly how I was taught by Mat V when I started. I actually got called out by him for NOT pointing at the ground a time or two.
    And how it was explained at the new shooters walk through I attended. Gonna be tuff to change it.

Some of us (including Mat) struggled a bit with it today while plinking. It takes a while to retrain away the old habit.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Sorry to hear the match got canceled. Even though it was the classifier, it's still nice to get some range time in. Hopefully everything will dry up for WSSC.

Elsewhere yesterday in Atlanta, IN

Some interesting things came up at this match. One of them was their interpretation of moving while reloading. They said as long as you pivoted on one foot while reloading, like playing basketball, it was OK. BUT, if you moved one foot in the direction you need to in the course, even though the other foot is stationary, it's a PE. I found that interpretation suspect, but I think the MD was a Tiger Team member (just a guess), so it might be right.

Also, they understand the new rulebook to hold that SOs shouldn't call cover before handing out a PE. I later found that this was mainly for MA class shooters- others got the call.

This was match was one of the first majors under the new rulebook, so it's clear there's going to be a learning curve for a while.

Here's one I want to run by ya'll that came up yesterday. A shooter comes to the line with the SO to the side but in front of him. The SO says "come on shooter, let's go." Shooter clears kydex and begins and grabs a speedloader. SO calls for stop and asks for the MD. Would you go with "talk to him about it" or a "match DQ".

I'm going to ask that Mike and Jeff not pretend the other one is the shooter in question so as to get an unbiased answer. :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Nice trophy!

DQ.

Ugly, unpleasant for all involved (unless it really was Mike then it would be way cool), very understandable mistake given match nerves and the unusual instruction from the s.o., but I still think you have to D.Q. the person for jumping the gun on making a weapon hot.

At a local match I'd more than likely be a weenie and do a talk it over with the squad thing, which makes me a hypocrite, but I think the locals are more of a training environment and you can get as much accomplished by doing a sqyua campfire chat as you can for a weird dq scenario.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The SO should have never called the shooter forward and instructed him to start. I would say DQ if the guy pulled without any instruction from the SO but if the SO basically tells a shooter that they are dragging their butts and to start their procedure it is the SO's fault not the shooter. The SO should have gotten out of the way or flagged the shooter forward of his position.

Several links in that chain that could have been broken before the DQ.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Depends on what the intent of his "phrasing" was I suppose... were those his exact words? "Come on lets go" is not "you may load & ready", plus add in the fact that the SO was in the 1-2 o'clock area thereabouts?
    I personally wouldn't have drawn/loaded until the specific command was given, but then again, I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to basic rules knowledge, but I also don't like to be a rules lawyer. It sucks, but I agree, DQ based on drawing without proper commands.

I have to admit, I feel fortunate that I got a pretty good handle on that stuff early on from all you guys who've SO'd me at any point. You guys are all pretty consistent with the way you do things, outside of maybe the "show clear" phase, which we've talked about not long ago

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Depends on what the intent of his "phrasing" was I suppose... were those his exact words? "Come on lets go" is not "you may load & ready", plus add in the fact that the SO was in the 1-2 o'clock area thereabouts?

I keep thinking back to the Sept RB match.
    If everybody drew every time looney2ns yelled at Mike to hurry up, it would have looked like a spaghetti western film.

Top Bottom