• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    You know, it just wouldn't be Red Brush if it weren't snowing, raining, sleeting, hailing or 150 degrees with 100% humidity and no breeze! :D

If that ain't the truth! There always seems to be "inclement" weather, I believe it's called, especially when it classifier time. :laugh:

In that same vein of thought, they say you have to classify at least once a year, but if your rank never drops below your highest (aside from medical reasons) why mess with repeat classification as long as your Idpa dues are paid up? Outside of bumping up a class, it seems kinda redundant now that I think about it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If that ain't the truth! There always seems to be "inclement" weather, I believe it's called, especially when it classifier time. :laugh:

In that same vein of thought, they say you have to classify at least once a year, but if your rank never drops below your highest (aside from medical reasons) why mess with repeat classification as long as your Idpa dues are paid up? Outside of bumping up a class, it seems kinda redundant now that I think about it.

It's to keep guys current to the class they are really in. For example, a guy shoots the classifier as his first match and makes MM. 5 years later he's still classified marksman but beating masters.

But, if it really bothers you, just make MA and you won't have to worry with it again:laugh:

Just as a reminder to folks shooting the RB classifier a cool deal is now open to you. If you want to get classified in all three bottom feeder divisions you can do so now shooting CDP. Or, if you shoot SSP and want the score applied to ESP or vice versa, you can do it. Also, you can apply an ESR score to SSR. Just let the MD know so he can check your gear then indicate it on the scoresheet.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]9.3. One Classifier Score Applied To Multiple Divisions
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The score attained by shooting the Classifier can be applied to other divisions where the equipment and ammunition used while shooting the Classifier meets the requirements of those other divisions. The shooter must notify the MD before the Classifier begins of the intent to apply a single score to multiple divisions and the MD must verify that the equipment and ammunition meet the requirements for multiple divisions. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]9.3.2.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Examples: SSP score applied to ESP, CDP score applied to SSP and ESP, ESR score applied to SSR. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]9.3.3.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Classifications attained in this manner are applicable to five firearm awards. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It's to keep guys current to the class they are really in. For example, a guy shoots the classifier as his first match and makes MM. 5 years later he's still classified marksman but beating masters.

But, if it really bothers you, just make MA and you won't have to worry with it again:laugh:

Just as a reminder to folks shooting the RB classifier a cool deal is now open to you. If you want to get classified in all three bottom feeder divisions you can do so now shooting CDP. Or, if you shoot SSP and want the score applied to ESP or vice versa, you can do it. Also, you can apply an ESR score to SSR. Just let the MD know so he can check your gear then indicate it on the scoresheet.
    9.3. One Classifier Score Applied To Multiple Divisions
    The score attained by shooting the Classifier can be applied to other divisions where the equipment and ammunition used while shooting the Classifier meets the requirements of those other divisions. The shooter must notify the MD before the Classifier begins of the intent to apply a single score to multiple divisions and the MD must verify that the equipment and ammunition meet the requirements for multiple divisions.
    Examples: SSP score applied to ESP, CDP score applied to SSP and ESP, ESR score applied to SSR.
    Classifications attained in this manner are applicable to five firearm awards.

that is long overdue and a fantastic addition to their new rules. I should have had Jay put me in for an ESP run when I did my last SSP althought I doubt I'll run ESP anytime soon. +1 for IDPA for doing this.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    that is long overdue and a fantastic addition to their new rules. I should have had Jay put me in for an ESP run when I did my last SSP althought I doubt I'll run ESP anytime soon. +1 for IDPA for doing this.

Ah Ha! Just remembered that we can actually load mags to capacity Saturday (most of the time anyway).

Interesting thing today. Have a 9 and a 40 that are identical except for caliber. I haven't shot the 9 much and have shot the 40 a lot. Figured I'd switch to the 9 (cheaper, and there is only so long that you can put up with the envy from folks who still only shoot the old timey calibers). On the bench both guns are zeroe'd. In hand I shoot the 40 to point of aim and shoot the 9 about 6" low at 20 yards. All I can figure out is that maybe I'm sort of tuned to the recoil on the 40 and that has me pushing back too long or too hard on the 9??

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In hand I shoot the 40 to point of aim and shoot the 9 about 6" low at 20 yards. All I can figure out is that maybe I'm sort of tuned to the recoil on the 40 and that has me pushing back too long or too hard on the 9??

I've never seen any scientific reason for a recoil pulse to make a difference, but I have seen it in a few shooters. Got a friend in KY named Corey Estill who's a 4 division USPSA GM and 3 Division IDPA MA who shoots 40 almost exclusively. When he does go to 9 he actually starts shooting slower and sloppier.

Don't know why, but it happens.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    2.12.11. Pull The Trigger
    The shooter will point the firearm at a safe berm and pull the trigger to further verify that the chamber isclear.

How do we call things this month (and henceforth) if the shooter points the gun at the ground nearby or otherwise not at a "safe berm"?
    Since it is a clear safety rule it seems like it would have to be a procedural at minimum.

Maybe TJ knows how the big kids are doing it?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The shooter will point the firearm at a safe berm and pull the trigger to further verify that the chamber isclear.

How do we call things this month (and henceforth) if the shooter points the gun at the ground nearby or otherwise not at a "safe berm"?
    Since it is a clear safety rule it seems like it would have to be a procedural at minimum.

Revolver shooting gets a guy out of so much of this new rule drama:laugh:

From what I've seen, everybody is doing it as they've always done it. Most guys and gals are just pointing the gun straight into a berm (not the ground) and pulling the trigger. I'd say a procedural for anyone that doesn't, DQ's for Brad and Don if they point at the ground.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

It doesn't say that the ground isn't an option, just a safe berm. Does the ground officially not count as a 'safe berm?' I don't know if that terminology has to do with the ruling about a rounding impacting the ground within a certain distance of the shooter if there isn't a nearby target. That results in a DQ but wouldn't having a gun fire during the 'Unload and Show Clear' section of the end of a COF have the same result? Maybe ground isn't used since there are indoor and outdoor facilities and they take into account that you cannot fire into the ground at an indoor match.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    More match photos from nats came out today. Blasted cameras catch everything.

Main thing to learn here is that if you're going to have your finger on the trigger, make sure the SO is directly behind you:laugh:

T.J. Milam (ESR/MA 1st) Doing it wrong.

Glenn Shelby (CDP/DM Division Champ) Doing it wrong.

Caleb Giddings (SSR/MA 4th) Doing it right.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

If he wanted to, Jeff could just send in his match fee and that way he wouldn't have to drive all that way just to get his monthly match DQ :D

*I'd better watch out, he might end up SOin'g me tomorrow*

Speaking of, we are now shooting Stage 3 using the Bianchi barricade as COVER, not a barricade so it is back to the cover rule instead of the barricade rule, correct?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It doesn't say that the ground isn't an option, just a safe berm.

I'm kind of starting to look at things from - how do we protect our shooters from problems elsewhere, if there is any doubt it is better to take the hit at your local fun match. I.e. if I'm s.o. then berm means berm and ground means 3 seconds, unless it turns out that this is not how things are done by the big kids.

The picture of Glenn S. is spooky, looks like his left leg is about to whap the hay bale while he is coonfingering. Also looks like the big boys are packing legal weight in the fishing vest pockets so maybe I should as well. I hate the fishing vests, if the theory of infinite parallel universes is true there is still not one planet where fishing vests are realistic concealed carry garb.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Speaking of, we are now shooting Stage 3 using the Bianchi barricade as COVER, not a barricade so it is back to the cover rule instead of the barricade rule, correct?

Yep. Good thing is that cover now extends to infinity and "contact distance" is not specified in the NRB so stand back as far as you wish.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm kind of starting to look at things from - how do we protect our shooters from problems elsewhere, if there is any doubt it is better to take the hit at your local fun match. I.e. if I'm s.o. then berm means berm and ground means 3 seconds, unless it turns out that this is not how things are done by the big kids.

Excellent, and another sign of how exposure to larger matches makes local matches better.

I agree, point that thing at the berm to pull the trigger. Best I can recall, the few times I ran a bottom feeder I pointed it at the berm from a semi close retention type stance. Never liked the pointed right down at the ground thing.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :laugh:

Mike does seem to have gotten all DQ giddy today.

I'm trying to get it out of my system before Oct 19th!

I'd make sure to bring up the berm vs ground during any SO meeting or walkthrough. I've done it at the ground since I've started; it was the way I was talked through it so there should be a friendly reminder before each one until everybody gets it down pat. Technically the SO should be clearing the gun at their pace and directing the shooter; and the shooter should be listen to exact instructions from the SO, so if the SO says point at the berm and pull the trigger I think we are good. You could argue that the SO didn't properly clear you.

But good idea to get it all out of the way and into the open prior to the Sellsersberg match.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    if the SO says point at the berm and pull the trigger I think we are good. You could argue that the SO didn't properly clear you.
    /QUOTE]

2.12.1 ... These exact range commands must be used and local variations are not allowed

2.12.11 Pull the trigger

Shooter Responsibilities

3.22.6 I recognize that it is my responsibility to maintain a working knowledge of the current IDPA rulebook.

I.E. you can argue it with the match director if you want :)

Top Bottom