• sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Must go faster
    :xmad:

Maybe....maybe not. Depends on what you're thinking about speeding up. Some things to think about:

Always shoot by vision, not by speed.

As love covers a multitude of sins, speed can cover a multitude of points down, but not trigger speed.

A fast -1 is better than a slow -0, unless you are shooting against folks of equal skill, then you better get the -0 just as fast.

Matches will not be won on how fast you pull the trigger. They will be won on how fast you do everything else between shots.

If you ever get a chance, take a look at some of the MAs shooting at RB. If you watch Scott, for example, it will seem that he goes very slow. But he's not slow he is just incredibly effecient in everything he does and he's a very accurate shooter. Just going off memory, but I looked at the scores from the last RB match and Don Fisher won almost all the stages over Brad, but in the end Brad pulled ahead. One stage was really what separated them and I would guess with some assurance it was something along the lines of a reload or a missed steel that put the difference between the two.

YMMV and so forth.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    My failures seem to come from not getting a good enough sight picture. The last few matches, aside from this RB match, I was really hitting everything and my points down were among the lowest of the match across the board. Saturday I really needed to look for that front sight on several of the courses and it told on me when I wasn't. That and I think sometimes my support-hand grip fails a bit, too. I changed a few minor things on my gun (new backstrap on the G34) to see if it made any difference and from the results it made one, just in the wrong direction. So when I got home, off it came and I'm not changing anything else until after Sellersberg.

I guess I'm still learning where I need to be accurate and where I can turn up the speed. My Classifier score from last month showed me that it is possible to shoot slower and to score better. If I can get that to stick in my head!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My Classifier score from last month showed me that it is possible to shoot slower and to score better. If I can get that to stick in my head!

Enos in his book and some of the other big uns talk about 'seeing what you need to see'. Seems like that is one of the real big challenges, some days you slow shoot like you are shooting at all 35 yard targets, some days you let go like you were point shooting at all 5 yard targets (and drop 70 points), and maybe some days everything is clicking and you are subconsciously making the right adjustments in time versus accuracy based on what you need to see. If I remeber right Enos has like 4 different vision-mindsets for the different levels of difficulty.

Before I forget, have TJ take a look at your outside foot position when using cover if you want to. I wasn't sure if you were doing anything that might cost you three at the Kolonel or not.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Enos in his book and some of the other big uns talk about 'seeing what you need to see'. Seems like that is one of the real big challenges, some days you slow shoot like you are shooting at all 35 yard targets, some days you let go like you were point shooting at all 5 yard targets (and drop 70 points), and maybe some days everything is clicking and you are subconsciously making the right adjustments in time versus accuracy based on what you need to see. If I remeber right Enos has like 4 different vision-mindsets for the different levels of difficulty.

Before I forget, have TJ take a look at your outside foot position when using cover if you want to. I wasn't sure if you were doing anything that might cost you three at the Kolonel or not.

I haven't read the Enos book but I'd like to. Steve Anderson describes it as "a thousand fortune cookies pasted on a sheet of construction paper":laugh:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe....maybe not. Depends on what you're thinking about speeding up. Some things to think about:

Always shoot by vision, not by speed.

Matches will not be won on how fast you pull the trigger. They will be won on how fast you do everything else between shots.

Very good point, you & Mike said the same before the classifier, "fast to the gun, fast to the reload" etc...
    I am kind of a stickler on accuracy, dont really want to sacrifice it. I'll have to become just as anal on moving fast between shots and drill that into my head before each COF.
    Thanks for the reminder! :rockwoot:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    The one that hurt was the 18-round Limited Vickers score. Everything else was on par with the shoot and that was the first time you've used the CZ in a while and it has a new sight so there is a learning curve there. It would be nice for a coule of us to get together and help each other work on some areas that could use it. After soccer season I could be more available. Just say the word!

You're probably right on most or all of that. I try to keep optimistic but I've been pretty discouraged as of late and honestly I don't feel I'm getting any better. If anything, it seems I've gotten worse since I started shooting IDPA last March 2012 I think it was. I've tried to adjust a few techniques, but nothing seems to have made much difference in the last year and a half.

I guess I'm having second(maybe third?) thoughts about the Kolonel... hard time justifying entry, plus some share of gas and other associated costs.

Of course, its not like I've had any kind of proper training/courses of any kind.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'll bet the biggest reason is you simply do not get to shoot (practice) often enough. I've read that on average you loose 20% of your skill in 7 days after a range visit. Dry fire practice is very important to help make up for this.

Using a different gun for the first time, sets you back more than you realize.
    SBCman has commented, he doesn't want to shoot anything other than his normal match gun weeks prior to a major match.

I'm sure SBCman will be along shortly to expand on this. :)

You're probably right on most or all of that. I try to keep optimistic but I've been pretty discouraged as of late and honestly I don't feel I'm getting any better. If anything, it seems I've gotten worse since I started shooting IDPA last March I think it was. I've tried to adjust a few techniques, but nothing seems to have made much difference.

I guess I'm having second(maybe third?) thoughts about the Kolonel... hard time justifying entry, plus some share of gas and other associated costs.

Of course, its not like I've had any kind of proper training/courses of any kind.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

I have developed some expertise at stinking things up at a major match.
    If you want an accelerated learning experience that will leave you motivated to practice and if you can just have fun shooting, I'd rather stink & have fun than stay home (or be sent home for that matter). TJ can comment on whether or not match motivation and practice for stages published ahead of time & etc has made him a better shooter.

If you think you will hate it though, yeck.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'll bet the biggest reason is you simply do not get to shoot (practice) often enough. I've read that on average you loose 20% of your skill in 7 days after a range visit. Dry fire practice is very important to help make up for this.

Using a different gun for the first time, sets you back more than you realize.
    SBCman has commented, he doesn't want to shoot anything other than his normal match gun weeks prior to a major match.

I'm sure SBCman will be along shortly to expand on this. :)

That is 100% true. It bothers me to handle, much less shoot, a different gun than my game guns before a major match. I don't want to get a different trigger feel, I don't want to feel a new grip- nothing whatsoever. I put in A LOT of time to get my grip, trigger control and everything into mental and muscle memory WITH THE SAME GUN. If a guy had unlimited funds and could send 1k downrange with a couple of different guns in a week, it probably wouldn't be a problem. I can't, therefore I don't.

I have developed some expertise at stinking things up at a major match.
    If you want an accelerated learning experience that will leave you motivated to practice and if you can just have fun shooting, I'd rather stink & have fun than stay home (or be sent home for that matter). TJ can comment on whether or not match motivation and practice for stages published ahead of time & etc has made him a better shooter.

If you think you will hate it though, yeck.

Yep. Kisada, what your post indicates to me is that you've given yourself permission to fail. This is not acceptable. Whatever optimism you have has been darkened by these clouds. Send them away. A good place to start is to ask yourself why you're doing this at all. Is it just for fun? Is it for personal improvement? Is it for the competition? Everyone has different reasons as to why we shoot and these reasons become goals to meet.

If I was you, I would tell myself right now that I am the Kentuckiana Kolonel ---/MM Class Winner. That I am going to perform well and that it is very much like you to perform well. If something doesn't meet the criteria of performing well, then find a solution. Do not get it into your mind that you underperform...because that's exactly what you will do. I recall this all starting with a RB match a while back that was all steel. That performance hasn't quite got out of your mental perception of who you are. It needs to go, my friend, then you will see things start to change.

In fact, I challenge you to change it right now. Get it engrained in your head that you are going to be in the top 3 of your division at the WSSC match. No doubts, not denials, nothing but "I am in the top 3". Remind yourself of it several times every hour. Then apply a reward as to why you are glad you are in the top 3. See what happens.

Major matches are definitely a motivation for me to both keep the skill I have and learn more. I want to perform at the very top.

I am a top performer in my division;)

I am the 2013 US Nationals ESR Division Champion.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Great post! SBCman.

Watch SBCman during a match, he's paying attention with focus on the shooting at hand.
    I'm sure this helps keep his mind in the game.

If you are doing a lot of talking instead of paying attention to what's occurring, you're loosing focus. You've shifted your mind away from the task at hand.
    My concentration level sucks at it's best, but a big part of shooting well is that concentration factor. Loosing focus only compounds the problem.

When Mat V shoots, watch him. If he's SO'ing, he hands off the duty to someone else 3 or 4 shooters prior to his turn. He then goes off by himself away from the hub bub, and prepares for his run.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Great post! SBCman.

Watch SBCman during a match, he's paying attention with focus on the shooting at hand.

If you are doing a lot of talking instead of paying attention to what's occurring, you're loosing focus. You've shifted your mind away from the task at hand.
    My concentration level sucks at it's best, but a big part of shooting well is that concentration factor. Loosing focus only compounds the problem.

When Mat V shoots, watch him. If he's SO'ing, he hands off the duty to someone else 3 or 4 shooters prior to his turn. He then goes off by himself away from the hub bub, and prepares for his run.

Scott Hurt says to run the course in your head 10 times before you shoot. If you see him at a match where he is trying to do his best he will be sitting off to the side and thinking.

Eadens was either left here by aliens or produced as a product of top secret genetics engineering, just does not function by normal rules, but even he will quiet up a shooter or two before stepping to the line. I think it was aliens because of the red hair. He also gets crabby if you say something to mess with him while he's got the pre-shoot mojo on.

Mike has been known to make a comment or two during a match and still shoot very well though.

Kisada was pasting right up until he shot sometimes Saturday, it is your right to take some you time when you need it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Great post! SBCman.

Thanks! I've got to admit it's hard for me to stay REALLY focused at RB and WSSC matches because it's just too much fun shooting with guys you've got to know pretty well.:laugh:

I actually had a staff member at S&W ask if I was alright before a stage. Guess I came off as too zoned out for him:laugh:

Just a tip here, if you are further down the line in the shooting order, walk the COF as you go out to paste. By the rules we can't get an "individual walk-through" but there's nothing wrong with touching the shooting positions and getting a quick glance at targets:)

Scott Hurt says to run the course in your head 10 times before you shoot. If you see him at a match where he is trying to do his best he will be sitting off to the side and thinking.

Eadens was either left here by aliens or produced as a product of top secret genetics engineering, just does not function by normal rules, but even he will quiet up a shooter or two before stepping to the line. I think it was aliens because of the red hair. He also gets crabby if you say something to mess with him while he's got the pre-shoot mojo on.

Ah, that confirms my suspicions about Brad. I knew it, they are among us.

Like Scott I try to run the course through mentally several times over before shooting. I don't really have a set number of times, just as much as I can. I like to visualize all the targets with my front sight in the down zero, then a time or two where I want to stop and shoot. Seems to help.

I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to be quiet before my run:D or if I have even had the desire to be LOL

I'm fairly certain that being quite would have the adverse affect on your shooting performance:laugh:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I def felt like I was struggling with finding the targets Saturday. Sadly I don't think I'm going to get to shoot another match until the kolonel. I do however have 3 days off before that I can hopefully get to the range and get ready.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I def felt like I was struggling with finding the targets Saturday. Sadly I don't think I'm going to get to shoot another match until the kolonel. I do however have 3 days off before that I can hopefully get to the range and get ready.

I will be lucky to make the 2 matches right before Sellersberg...it is Fall soccer and I coach my son's games so the RB match will most likely be out with the 10am start. I should be able to make the WSSC match in Sept and at the worst be slightly late.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I do enjoy the matches at both clubs, and even when I know I didn't do well on certain stages, it doesn't normally bother me until after I see the scores, then the self-loathing kicks in. :laugh:
    I also wouldn't say I'm not semi-competitive, which probably makes it worse.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Not a bad idea. I'm sure I'm pushing it on some courses and of all the things that I don't want to do to take me out of contention is to keep amassing PE for cover violations. I feel I'm behind cover but it never hurts to have an additional set of eyes watching.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I feel I'm behind cover but it never hurts to have an additional set of eyes watching.

I should probably go read the rules again, but why bother when we have TJ? Seems like it is x% of upper body and 0% of lower body if swine memory is working (z% probability). Scott H is big on planting the outside foot where it needs to be as the first thing when using cover, I think that came from the 3 second ouch.

Knees up it looked like you were always more than aok. In the house when you shot the first steel for example, it seemed like maybe the bad guy had a shot at your foot. There was one other person who hit the same stance as you do dynamically (looks very stable but the outside lower body is more underneath the outside upper body than some) and I forgot to say squat to him (my bad!). Barrels don't stack dead straight as a rule so maybe that could effect perception.

Top Bottom