• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I was a little kid in the mid '70s, we had 2 1967 Chevrolet Impala 2 doors at the same time. Dad's was an aqua colored 283, stripped down model....for "economy". Mom's car was a white SS with a 396 big block. This was during the gas crisis and dad, NOT a car guy, got a screaming deal on a used car that drank gas. Since Mom drove less, it was her car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was a little kid in the mid '70s, we had 2 1967 Chevrolet Impala 2 doors at the same time. Dad's was an aqua colored 283, stripped down model....for "economy". Mom's car was a white SS with a 396 big block. This was during the gas crisis and dad, NOT a car guy, got a screaming deal on a used car that drank gas. Since Mom drove less, it was her car.

While in CommiFornia racing the crew had 2 days to sight see and wonder the area after the race before we flew out for home. Delmar/San Diego area.
    I found this 1967 Chevy for sale down the street from our hotel. It was rust free but had taken a hit in the right rear quarter. Beyond that it was in fair shape.
    The 283 2 barrel ran but on 7 cylinders. It had steel wheels no hubcaps. I gave $400 for it on the gamble that a quick tune up would get it running on 8 and I could drive it back to Indy.
    Nope....flat lobe on the cam. Drove it home any way. Interesting trip.
    It took about a month to get the body right and spray it. This was the last car I ever painted.
    Took the 350 4 bolt out of my rusted beyond repair pick up truck and re-built it. Used a chevy 350 HP cam/headers/intake/holley and replaced the old "Glide" with a T-350.
    It was a sweet car. It lives in Colorado now.

I left the CommiFornia front plate on the car. The spouse loved the car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Monti behind my bike was bought new in 85.
    When it had 101K on it I started restoring it for my son.
    On his 16th Bday I gave him the keys.

Yup....Raly's........I like-em

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My uncles '66 Super Sport. California car, ZERO rust. Was originally silver, previous owner painted it in Lemans blue. Was a 327/ glide car, don't remember rear gear. Now GM ZZ383 stroker with 700r4 and 4.10 posi. Moves damn good for a big girl.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Stumbled on this. I forgot I had taken a pic of it. The day before my dad sold his '59 beetle, we took it out for a drive around town to get some pix in cool spots. On the way home, he wanted to see just what the top speed was in that 36hp bug. This was all she wrote! And that was going downhill! They won't do 70 on flat ground, so you won't see that very often. :cool:

PS: it did have a horn button, but it wouldn't ever stay on...

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Stumbled on this. I forgot I had taken a pic of it. The day before my dad sold his '59 beetle, we took it out for a drive around town to get some pix in cool spots. On the way home, he wanted to see just what the top speed was in that 36hp bug. This was all she wrote! And that was going downhill! They won't do 70 on flat ground, so you won't see that very often. :cool:

PS: it did have a horn button, but it wouldn't ever stay on...

We had a Jeep like that. On the interstate it refused to go above 70mph.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My uncles '66 Super Sport. California car, ZERO rust. Was originally silver, previous owner painted it in Lemans blue. Was a 327/ glide car, don't remember rear gear. Now GM ZZ383 stroker with 700r4 and 4.10 posi. Moves damn good for a big girl.

Man I really like this car.......Super cool. Love the big bodied 60's

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Man I really like this car.......Super cool. Love the big bodied 60's
    It's a sweet car. He bought it from a dealer in MI, but it still had the Cali black plates on it. Would have had all the paperwork from new, but the dealer had a fire and all documentation was lost.... :(

As you can see we've upgraded the AC, this thing cruises at 75 all day long with the AC on full blast. With the intake set up she doesn't like cold temps, but I've driven that car in sub-zero temps before...

We've also put a SSBC disk brake set up on the front. I wouldn't hesitate to hop in that one and drive it cross country, she's dialed in.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    She's a bit of a sleeper too, 327 badges remained on the fenders, I've told him the only thing I'd change on that car would be swapping on 283 badges and a steering upgrade. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A true sleeper.
    It aint pretty by any standards. We did sand it down and spray it with grey sealer primer eventually.
    It was a serious sleeper.
    Best of 12:45.
    355 with Vortec heads comp cam and all the normal goodies.
    4:10 gear with a snubber set up.
    4 speed street cars rule.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :naughty: Rusty likes that.

I agree with the 4 speed cars. Nothing quite like seeing one run down the strip. Love watching that nose dive and lift back up again.

The set up on this car (Tail dome a bit, 90/10's up front/pinion snubber/4:10) would let you do throttle wheelies.
    Roll out in 1st and stab the throttle and when the nose hits full lift drop the throttle and hit it again when the suspension bottom.....2nd or 3rd time the wheels would lift about 4 to 6 inches. It was a blast to drive.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had to look this up, been awhile since I've seen it. Just badass. :)
    [video=youtube;Arc_gFs_CQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arc_gFs_CQ4&feature=share[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom