• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Family truckster hauling a flipper I bought last summer. 1978 Chevy Cheyenne 20 Camper Special. The Camper Special was a 3/4 ton that got a 1 ton rear end. 350 backed by a th400 and a 14 bolt. Purchased by my dad and I a few years back to replace the green '72 as our work horse. Solid reliable truck, currently getting new tires.

Later in the day this pic was taken as I was on my way back from the MOPAR nats in Columbus, OH where I was trying to sell the pig on the trailer. About midnight 1/2 hour from home I hear something smack the bottom of the truck, I looked over at my buddy and said what the **** was that!? Before I could finish saying that it happened again. Pulled over, didn't know what happened, truck wasn't leaning, trailer was fine, checked underhood, everything was ok. Checked tires again, left rear threw the tread off! Messed up the truck pretty good, but thankfully I had brought a jack and had a spare.... Lesson learned, if you're going to use a truck to haul a trailer, make sure the tires are good...

Car is a 1970 Plymouth Fury III. 318 auto cruiser. Had original paint and was solid as could be. Got a really good deal on it and thought I could make a little money, that didn't work out and wound up trading it for the GP in my avatar, I'll get to that one later.

As you can see someone has done some "repair" previously on the truck, but it's still pretty solid.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    wound up trading it for the GP in my avatar, I'll get to that one later.

I saw a 1971ish GP, green with white top running around the south side of town a couple times last week. I was thinking it might have been you as there are not many of those around, especially with the same color combo.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I saw a 1971ish GP, green with white top running around the south side of town a couple times last week. I was thinking it might have been you as there are not many of those around, especially with the same color combo.
    I've heard about that car :). Have been told numerous times people saw me running around, but when I tell them nope it wasn't me. I didn't have mine out last week. Mine has a tan top, it's pretty faded and thin. I really really want to meet the guy with the other one, we've got to be about the only 2 in town.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm not a Ford guy, but these cars are some of my favorites. This one is badass, why they didn't check that throttle cable pull before even firing the engine the first time is beyond me.... We've been known to spend the better part of a day making sure that is spot on....

[video=youtube;UonisqLOnXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UonisqLOnXo&feature=share[/video]

This is currently my favorite style of build. Vintage styled road racer.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So one time I had a huffy. and had this *****in' motorcycle sounding revving handlebar grip thingy on it slathered in FONZIE art.
    It was awesome! :rockwoot:
    31cC%2BWxW4EL.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Family truckster hauling a flipper I bought last summer. 1978 Chevy Cheyenne 20 Camper Special. The Camper Special was a 3/4 ton that got a 1 ton rear end. 350 backed by a th400 and a 14 bolt. Purchased by my dad and I a few years back to replace the green '72 as our work horse. Solid reliable truck, currently getting new tires.

Later in the day this pic was taken as I was on my way back from the MOPAR nats in Columbus, OH where I was trying to sell the pig on the trailer. About midnight 1/2 hour from home I hear something smack the bottom of the truck, I looked over at my buddy and said what the **** was that!? Before I could finish saying that it happened again. Pulled over, didn't know what happened, truck wasn't leaning, trailer was fine, checked underhood, everything was ok. Checked tires again, left rear threw the tread off! Messed up the truck pretty good, but thankfully I had brought a jack and had a spare.... Lesson learned, if you're going to use a truck to haul a trailer, make sure the tires are good...

Car is a 1970 Plymouth Fury III. 318 auto cruiser. Had original paint and was solid as could be. Got a really good deal on it and thought I could make a little money, that didn't work out and wound up trading it for the GP in my avatar, I'll get to that one later.

This is our 1978 3/4 ton camper special that we fondly refer to as "old rusty". My dad bought it new. We bought it from him at least 10 years ago for a farm truck and still use it. Yours looks a bit better. :)

So...rusty isn't a hot rod but I had to share when I saw your Chevy.

Here's hubby's toy. (the blue '67 Chevy)

And...since he got a toy, I had to get one too.

There may be more toys that I could share, but I'll stop there for now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Nice mom! Nothing wrong with rusty old work trucks. I love me some 'burb too.

Old Rusty has been a lot of fun. It isn't roadworthy anymore...cab mounts are no longer attached to the frame so I picture myself rolling off of the chassis on corners. We drive it all over through the woods and around the yard. It's a lot cheaper than a four wheeler and if we happen to bump a tree or something, no harm done.

The '67 hubby restored in one winter. He did everything but the paint. He did the body work and had all of the interior stripped, windows out, etc. and the paint guy did his thing and then it came back home to be put back together.

The suburban we picked up from a guy that collects vehicles...he has warehouses full of them. 72K original miles when we got it last year and no rust anywhere. I love driving that thing.

I don't know if I have pictures of his "work" truck. It's an '83 3/4 ton Chevy. He did whatever rust repair was needed on it a couple of summers ago and painted it himself. Turned out pretty good and he gets a lot of compliments on it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just sent a check to my Sister to purchase my Grandfathers 1966 C10. I rode in the back of that truck as a kid to town, to the fields to help him farm. I had the Chevy green paint with white trim before my Brother in law started to customize it.

The three on the tree was replaced with a tilt steering column from a Monte Carlo. The three speed manual trans and six banger was swapped out for a TH400 trans. The motor was the first racing engine that I ever built. Small journal 327 with TRW forged Pistons. The carb is a Buddy Baker 390 that runs like a dream.

The truck has spent it's whole life in Alabama but is coming home with me in July when I make a trip down to get it.

The body work is mostly done but needs repainted all the same color. (Looking for a painter)

The engine bay will need some attention too.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    This is what was so cool about the old Ford, RustyHornet. A panel came off on the passenger side where your spare tire was kept. This was especially handy when Dad stopped carrying a truck camper and went to a pull type RV trailer. He had this reverse fifth wheel mounted. It's a very unique hitch and gets a lot of conversations started. Not sure if you can see it well enough from this picture. The hitch receiver is by the passenger rear tire and it rides on a semi-circular beam. The ford also has duel fuel tanks, did your chevy have that too?

0514001404c_zpsd7in3wc3.jpg

Untitled-3d_zpscftpfppw.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom