• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nice Car RH. You ever go out to the cars and coffee in the Fort?
    Thanks. Which one? The one on Saturday mornings? I'm not on any of the social media sites, so when I drove out there where it was last year there wasn't anything going on... I have yet to go to the new place yet. This Saturday is the big show in Roanoke.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well I decided it was time for the lemans to make some more noise. Right now it's running stock manifolds, turbo muffler and single exhaust. It's got a nice little rumble, but too quiet for a "race car". I'm on a tight budget so I've been exploring some cheaper options. I read good things about Summit brand headers so I ordered a set last night. I've got the old pipes off our '57 Chevy and about 3 different sets of used mufflers. I should be able to cobble something together.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I actually like the 2 barrel on mine. It's got enough power to have fun, but not enough to get in trouble. Plus it runs so darn well, I don't want to disturb it.

When I was a senior in High school a buddy's mom gave him her 65 Lemans.
    Red with black guts. Super nice car (we were seniors in 68..:)) with a 326 2 barrel 3 on the tree.
    That car would really scoot. Single track would lay out a solid black streak for as long as you wanted.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bite me.....:)

Just think about this.
    My 1st "NEW" car was a 1968 Pontiac Fire Bird.
    400 with 3 peddles.
    Burgandy with black guts.
    Paid cash for it.
    Never got the opportunity to do any serious tuning on it as I was hit in the drivers door by a "Rambler" that ran a stop.
    Totaled the car as it went off road and hit a pile of debris from the bridge construction. Yes, it hurt very badly.
    Might not have gone so far off road had I not been balls out in 2nd gear. Still was not my fault.

I took that insurance money, borrowed a grand from Dad and paid cash for a 1968 Impala SS with a 427 in it. 3 peddles. Engine was a 450 HP piece and I was to young to fully understand what I actually had. COPO meant nothing to an 18 year old snot nose throttle maniac. That car sealed up my love for full size chevy's.
    That one was stolen most likely due to the 427 flags on the fenders. I cried.

Point is, these cars were everywhere. Every stop light. What a seriously great time to be 18 and insane.......:cool:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bite me.....:)

Just think about this.
    My 1st "NEW" car was a 1968 Pontiac Fire Bird.
    400 with 3 peddles.
    Burgandy with black guts.
    Paid cash for it.
    Never got the opportunity to do any serious tuning on it as I was hit in the drivers door by a "Rambler" that ran a stop.
    Totaled the car as it went off road and hit a pile of debris from the bridge construction. Yes, it hurt very badly.
    Might not have gone so far off road had I not been balls out in 2nd gear. Still was not my fault.

I took that insurance money, borrowed a grand from Dad and paid cash for a 1968 Impala SS with a 427 in it. 3 peddles. Engine was a 450 HP piece and I was to young to fully understand what I actually had. COPO meant nothing to an 18 year old snot nose throttle maniac. That car sealed up my love for full size chevy's.
    That one was stolen most likely due to the 427 flags on the fenders. I cried.

Point is, these cars were everywhere. Every stop light. What a seriously great time to be 18 and insane.......:cool:
    Yes it would have been an incredible time to grow up...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes it would have been an incredible time to grow up...

Street racing was rampant.
    Every Friday/Saturday night.
    Thursdays were spent working on your junk to be ready.
    Dates were at the drive through burger joints looking for races.
    If a chick did not like the scene she was taken home post haste.

No drugs or guns. Disputes (while many) were settled hand to hand.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The automotive gods are frowning upon me. We have a engine swapped Fiero that was towed so I get to spend the morning making sure the shift cable I found is the best deal.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks. Which one? The one on Saturday mornings? I'm not on any of the social media sites, so when I drove out there where it was last year there wasn't anything going on... I have yet to go to the new place yet. This Saturday is the big show in Roanoke.

They do it out at the coffee shop in Georgetown now, near the library. The Roanoke show looks to be a good one, are you showing or just going to look?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom