Not open for further replies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to drag race but mostly the illegal street variety. I ran a few 1/4 miles growing up in Michigan(Tri-City Dragway) and had some friends with drag cars that I hung out with.

I really just missed the peak of the muscle car era(I'm 56). My brothers that are 5 and 11 years older got to "play" during those great times in automotive history.

I had some neat cars and I wasn't afraid to run them hard, but really nothing out of this world fast. I found I could beat faster cars by cutting a good light and gluing my foot like lead to the floor. I guess I had more guts in some cases. Or I was more stupid.

Would have loved to have been as involved as CM. I worked for TRW for 13 years working the races. Worked the U.S. Nationals every year. It was fun, but still not the same as being in the car.

I love the smell of burning rubber and the sound of open headers!:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I may or may not have engaged in what may or may not have been construed as speed contests when I was or was not a teenager. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Me too, but someone might tell my mom. Then there will be . . . trouble.

True dat! There are things my mom will never learn about what I did. Some of those were drag racing her Z-28!:)

But then again, she knows I stood before the judge after I took that same Z-28 to 130 mph. I got off with a "speedometer error" ticket. No points, pay the court costs. Whew...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    True dat! There are things my mom will never learn about what I did. Some of those were drag racing her Z-28!:)

But then again, she knows I stood before the judge after I took that same Z-28 to 130 mph. I got off with a "speedometer error" ticket. No points, pay the court costs. Whew...

I am technically still grounded from when I got the ticket in the Nova when I was 17. I was at the end of week two of the grounding with no option for parole or pardon when I had to help a relative move to Chicago. The 'rents allowed me to leave the premises solely for that task. When I returned, I think they forgot I was still grounded. I did not remind them.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix

I was not so lucky in my Z. Sitting at a red light buddy next to me in his Mustang GT. We were both so focused on that light turning green we failed to follow rule number one of street racing, check for the police. Light turned green and it was on tires a smoking, grabbing gears, last time I looked we were at 100, and I was pulling him. Start to come out of it look in the rear view, oh s*#!. Signal my buddy that the cops are behind us. Next thing that goes through my mind is I know there is a side road coming up and we still had a good lead on the police officer. I thought to myself you could possibly ditch him. That's when I came to my senses that I was about to make a bad situation a heck of a lot worse and pulled over. Once we got pulled over me in front of my buddy Officer walks up to me and says with a smile on his face "well at least you won the race". Thankfully I was not carted off to jail but was given the charge of speed contest. Oh yeah that side road (stupid) option that flashed through my head another officer was coming down it we apparently peeked the interest a multiple officers that day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was not so lucky in my Z. Sitting at a red light buddy next to me in his Mustang GT. We were both so focused on that light turning green we failed to follow rule number one of street racing, check for the police. Light turned green and it was on tires a smoking, grabbing gears, last time I looked we were at 100, and I was pulling him. Start to come out of it look in the rear view, oh s*#!. Signal my buddy that the cops are behind us. Next thing that goes through my mind is I know there is a side road coming up and we still had a good lead on the police officer. I thought to myself you could possibly ditch him. That's when I came to my senses that I was about to make a bad situation a heck of a lot worse and pulled over. Once we got pulled over me in front of my buddy Officer walks up to me and says with a smile on his face "well at least you won the race". Thankfully I was not carted off to jail but was given the charge of speed contest. Oh yeah that side road (stupid) option that flashed through my head another officer was coming down it we apparently peeked the interest a multiple officers that day.

Did near the same thing on my Harley. Pole day at the speedway and we were all out going from party to party around the track. I was east bound 16th St. at West street stopped at the light next to a new Vette. He was eyeballing my scooter and I winked at him. Light went green and it was on. I went through 3 gears coming up to Senate when I looked in the mirrors. MCS directly behind me.
    Yes, I beat up on the vette and yeah, I stopped for LEO. he was a bit perturbed as to be expected and kept asking me if the bike was street legal. I kept nodding affirmatively.
    I had all the right credentials and we conversed for a while. I left with a noise infraction. Lucky me.

The "Loudest" street bike I have ever heard...............:)

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Did near the same thing on my Harley. Pole day at the speedway and we were all out going from party to party around the track. I was east bound 16th St. at West street stopped at the light next to a new Vette. He was eyeballing my scooter and I winked at him. Light went green and it was on. I went through 3 gears coming up to Senate when I looked in the mirrors. MCS directly behind me.
    Yes, I beat up on the vette and yeah, I stopped for LEO. he was a bit perturbed as to be expected and kept asking me if the bike was street legal. I kept nodding affirmatively.
    I had all the right credentials and we conversed for a while. I left with a noise infraction. Lucky me.

The "Loudest" street bike I have ever heard...............:)
    Um, is that a supercharger? On a road bike? Holy #|<~€! You know, they have medicine for that. :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom