Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was not unusual to have a Daytona Charger roll up on you. Wing Hemi and all.
    maybe 4 of them lived close.
    Local LEO had a real Talladaga Torino. LS6 chevels 396/375 4 speed camaros and Novas everywhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So when are one of you handy guys going to fix the windows in my truck so that they go up and down again?

Heck Rhino.....it is hard to get me inside a door these days.
    I am a bleeder.....:lmfao:

Have you checked for power..??
    Have you spilled anything in the controls..??
    Do the windows work at the assigned doors and not from the master or just not work at all..??

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Way way back in the day I had a 1968 base model Nova. I mean base model. It had a cigg. lighter. Period. Banana yellow with chrome reverse and baby moons.
    It had an L-79 in it from the factory with 3 peddles.
    I swapped the intake for a single plane Tarantula/750 Holley and put a set of "Hookers" on it. 4:10 gear set and "Lakewood" T-bars. Chassis dyno tune up.

That damned car was stupid fast. I would roll to the bottom of a merge ramp on 465 and stop. My buddy would watch for an 18 wheeler rolling hard and when it was even with my nose he yelled "Go" and It was a flat out drag race for the merge.
    Note the speed limit was 70 and 80 was the norm and the ramps were pretty short.
    I never lost.

That was merging

Nova's were great sleepers. Most everyone was all about SS Chevelle's and Camaros. The Nova was a light bodied car that had plenty of ability to be very competitive. Like you said, a few bolt-ons and you were ready to go. I would add some stickier tires to your list.:)

Oh, and I have always liked chrome reverse and baby moons! Still mad at my mom for not letting me buy a '70 GS 350-4-speed with baby moons and chrome reverse. She thought I couldn't afford the gas since her '67 GS 400 used so much. I tried to explain that mine was only a 350 and the manual would improve fuel economy. She didn't buy my story. lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nova's were great sleepers. Most everyone was all about SS Chevelle's and Camaros. The Nova was a light bodied car that had plenty of ability to be very competitive. Like you said, a few bolt-ons and you were ready to go. I would add some stickier tires to your list.:)

Oh, and I have always liked chrome reverse and baby moons! Still mad at my mom for not letting me buy a '70 GS 350-4-speed with baby moons and chrome reverse. She thought I couldn't afford the gas since her '67 GS 400 used so much. I tried to explain that mine was only a 350 and the manual would improve fuel economy. She didn't buy my story. lol.

In 1970-ish when I owned this car a set of 10" slicks could be stuffed up into the wells with the right rim. 9" fit better on 8" Chevy rally wheels.
    There were no really good street tires. One had to use the throttle to keep it hooked up if at all.

Buddy had a 350GS that he ran in SS near every weekend. He ran the Nationals 3 years in a row with that car. Drove it to work.
    He was a tuning wizard.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    So when the manufactureer tells you you only have to change your engine oil every 10,000 miles, you listen right?

This guy did..... Audi had 60k on it. I guess the customer was complaining about it burning oil... :dunno:

Lubri-Moly has an oil that has some crazy change intervals ( the fine print is that you follow the manufacturers specifications on oil change intervals)

Beside the universal use in vehicles from the Audi/VW group it is also suitable for BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc. As such, oil change intervals of up to 30,000 miles (50,000 km) are possible as per the manufacturer's specifications. Fully synthetic.
    LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Top Tec 4200 SAE 5W-30

There was picture on Reddit of someones canister filter from a BWM that the owner went 25,000 miles between changes with. The filter was absolutely destroyed.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Thanks to RustyHornet for the info on who to send it to and Brake Materials & Parts for the quick rebuild, the Shelby is almost ready to go home.

4SfP94m.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yeah well I do my own stuff so :p

Lubri-Moly has an oil that has some crazy change intervals ( the fine print is that you follow the manufacturers specifications on oil change intervals)

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Top Tec 4200 SAE 5W-30

There was picture on Reddit of someones canister filter from a BWM that the owner went 25,000 miles between changes with. The filter was absolutely destroyed.

There is a bypass filter system for big truck engines that you change the filters every 25,000 miles and sample the oil. (Send it off to a lab to see what's in it). If the lab says it's ok, you keep running it. Some engines with a good tune are getting 500,000+ miles out of the oil. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated. Keep the contamination out and it can last forever. A big diesel engine has upwards of 11 gallons of oil in it. At $25+ a gallon, it saves quite a bit of money.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    There is a bypass filter system for big truck engines that you change the filters every 25,000 miles and sample the oil. (Send it off to a lab to see what's in it). If the lab says it's ok, you keep running it. Some engines with a good tune are getting 500,000+ miles out of the oil. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated. Keep the contamination out and it can last forever. A big diesel engine has upwards of 11 gallons of oil in it. At $25+ a gallon, it saves quite a bit of money.

The problem is that even with a 3,000 mile interval on the oil changes, people do not check their oil level. We have had people come in for a check engine light that turns out to be an issue with their VVT system and it turns out they are low on oil. I had one lady come in with a Honda and no oil showing on the dipstick. We have to remind people that while their vehicle has an extended oil change interval, they still need to check the oil every so often to make sure it is full. The other problem is how many cars are turning out to have oil consumption problems. A bunch of the newer European cars are known to consume oil from the day it rolls off the line and the manufacturers say this is acceptable. My mom's Camry is one of the ones recalled to test for oil consumption and I have to check on my brother and his wifes Odyssey today to see if it is covered under the TSB for oil consumption.
    People buy a new or newer car and don't expect to have to check the oil or in some cases don't even know how. We have had a couple of BMWs that you use the info center in the dash to do so as they have no dipstick. While all engines consume some oil, you wouldn't expect to have to put a quart or more in a new car between changes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom