• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    What do you have and what are you wanting. That will set who you use.
    Shovelhead, 1978 75th anniversary FLH Electra Glide
    I was hit on it in 1996, pieced it together while still in a wheelchair, got it back in running condition, but it's not right.
    I really wanted to do it myself, but coming to the realization that might not happen.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    O.k. GM guys is there something weird about the old HEI (coil in cap) that will prevent an inductive timing light from working? We got the Galaxie back together and fired up, it sounds WAY bitcchin' by the way, tried to check and set the timing and not even a faint glimmer from my very trustworthy timing light. I haven't used it in a couple of years but it ain't a cheapie although I have had it for close to 30 years.

so what is it, dead light or something about GM HEI that prevents it from working via inductive pickup?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    O.k. GM guys is there something weird about the old HEI (coil in cap) that will prevent an inductive timing light from working? We got the Galaxie back together and fired up, it sounds WAY bitcchin' by the way, tried to check and set the timing and not even a faint glimmer from my very trustworthy timing light. I haven't used it in a couple of years but it ain't a cheapie although I have had it for close to 30 years.

so what is it, dead light or something about GM HEI that prevents it from working via inductive pickup?

My light works just fine with the HEI cap you describe. Clamp up on #1 close to the plug, 12V attached.......Bingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just hit the "Place" order button on the Posi unit/ring and pinion/Install kit/Rear bracing cover for the 12 bolt.

Decided on the 3.73 over the 4.10 as I will be doing some cruising in it.

Housing goes to the sand blaster this week.

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Northbound in Alabama now! Did what we needed to get done, had a little fun ourselves since we stumbled across a car show! Only took a few pix as we were on a mission and didn't have time...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Is that dashcam footage from a LEO?
    Surprisingly, I can count on one hand the amount of po-po we saw going down. Have seen 3 total in Alabama, one of those was the same one twice I think. Sticking to the speed limits as we are taking it easy on the old girl. She's now burning a lot more oil than she ever has.. Last trip out of the Fort till she gets a fresh heart.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Surprisingly, I can count on one hand the amount of po-po we saw going down. Have seen 3 total in Alabama, one of those was the same one twice I think. Sticking to the speed limits as we are taking it easy on the old girl. She's now burning a lot more oil than she ever has.. Last trip out of the Fort till she gets a fresh heart.

Put a quart of Lucas in it. Just do it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For those that don't follow along in the CZickness thread. We made it back safely yesterday morning. Made a quick run down to Destin to bring our grandmothers ashes to the beach one last time before we bury them this weekend in Chicago. Car performed pretty well other than the burning oil. Went through 160 gal of 87 octane. 11.7 mpg. 1,876 miles total. 29 hrs 23 mins driving. Oh and on the way home from Lafayette yesterday afternoon, I lost a radiator core support bolt... Went back to grab it and couldn't find it... Now I absolutely do not want to see that car for a few weeks. :):

Side note, on the way back I got a call with some sad news.. We lost a local car guy here yesterday morning. Crazy old man, one of the nicest I've ever known. Met him a few years back through my friend with the '68 Z/28. Got to spend a lot of time with him at some cruise ins and shows. Sad day... :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For those that don't follow along in the CZickness thread. We made it back safely yesterday morning. Made a quick run down to Destin to bring our grandmothers ashes to the beach one last time before we bury them this weekend in Chicago. Car performed pretty well other than the burning oil. Went through 160 gal of 87 octane. 11.7 mpg. 1,876 miles total. 29 hrs 23 mins driving. Oh and on the way home from Lafayette yesterday afternoon, I lost a radiator core support bolt... Went back to grab it and couldn't find it... Now I absolutely do not want to see that car for a few weeks. :):

Side note, on the way back I got a call with some sad news.. We lost a local car guy here yesterday morning. Crazy old man, one of the nicest I've ever known. Met him a few years back through my friend with the '68 Z/28. Got to spend a lot of time with him at some cruise ins and shows. Sad day... :(

That is the sadness which is life. We come in. We live and it always comes to an end. Always.

Time is a race we are all running. No one will ever win it but it has to be ran.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am watching my bank account to see when they lift the chunk out for the rear end parts and pieces.

Went with a Yukon #3 carrier and 3.73 gear.

The carrier is a 4 spring P-Trac and it should handle the task at hand.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom